rate the last film you watched

Ithior

The Family (aka Malavita).

3/10.

I already thought it was bad when I watched the trailer, but I had to watch last night with my friends.

The story is nothing new. The characters are nothing new. I didn't hear anyone laugh during the movie, which is bad considering this is a comedy.

This movie is a perfect example of "forced". There were scenes which were completely unrealistic, with the single purpose of forcing the story forward.

There were also some camera issues, I don't usually notice stuff like that but it was fairly noticeable this time. When the camera focused on a character in the back it looked like the screen resolution had been changed, like when you change your TV from 4:3 to 16:9 (it wasn't that bad, but it was noticeable). Then it would happen again when the camera focused on the front characters.

Overall, it was a pretty bad movie. Could've been better as a TV series I guess.

Kiwong

The woman in black 6.5/10. I thought this film started well, and the location was really impressive, it set the scene, and built the suspense, but then it lost it's way. I watched the 1989, Telemovie version, and it was much, much scarier.

Last edited:

Odo

Banned
I've been watching Game of Thrones... I'm halfway through season 2 right now.

It's actually pretty great... I wasn't sure what to expect exactly but I was pleasantly surprised. I care about all of the characters and the various plotlines are all consistently interesting. It's a fantasy for sure, but unlike Lord Of The Rings or Star Wars, it's more about individuals than sides, and I think that makes it a better story overall.

The final scene of season one was a glorious change of tone... and yes, the Imp is fantastic... but really I don't think there's a single weak character. ]I hate who I'm supposed to hate and like who I'm supposed to like.

The only minor issues I have is how they're constantly refusing to show battle scenes-- I get that they're on a budget and the drama is still solid, but they've been cutting to the aftermaths over and over. I'm also not big on all the gratuitous sex and nudity... it just seems overdone.

Still, great show- not quite a replacement for Breaking Bad, but great.

8/10.

Last edited:

Kiwong

Turista 6/10 This film had some pretty ordinary reviews, but I didn't think it was an altogether bad thriller.

Phoenixx

The Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 9.5/10

This movie was so freaking good! I loved it more than the first film, and I'm so happy it lived up to my expectations. :D It didn't stray very far from the book at all, which I really, really appreciate.

Odo

Banned
Elysium: 5/10.

It started off really strong... and then it took a nosedive somewhere in the middle and never recovered.

After a while, I just had sooo many questions. If they can make handheld shields that protect people from laser bullets, why can't they make a defense shield for the one place that everyone on Earth is literally dying to get into? Why aren't there robot guards in the Elysium White House (until it's too late)? Why didn't buddy guy just download the data onto his computer after he saw it in Matt Damon's head? If the Elysium people can see anyone in the world and immediately ID them through their future Google Earth device, why can't they fire a laser at them or something? Why does Elysium have a random room full of space weapons with no one guarding it?

But I think the biggest problem was the Kruger character. He simply wasn't very interesting... he was a typical movie psycho who just wanted to hurt people, laugh, taunt the hero, etc. No matter how ugly or crazy an actor is, there's just not that many ways to make that kind of thing engaging. You could have put him in a Steven Seagal movie and he wouldn't have stood out. And this is supposed to be thought-provoking sci-fi.

Jodie Foster's character was sooo much more interesting and I think that killing her off in order to have more fighting and an exoskeleton battle climax made the movie a lot dumber than it should have been. I was honestly expecting the climax to involve the 1% explaining their side of the story, giving the villains a believable motivation... but instead the point seemed to be that they wanted to keep people out of Elysium because they're mean. And then we get all of that crap about a sick little girl and a childhood romance... I know it's Hollywood and there are certain demands being made, but it's boring.

And the whole 'healing machines' thing was extremely problematic for this kind of story. It's one thing to be denied access to the best health care because you can't afford the best doctors, but if there's a machine that can both detect and heal any injury, they can be mass-produced, and rich people can actually afford to have them in their houses... you don't think that they would make their way to Earth? I hate the greedy bankers too but for crying out loud... the problem isn't that rich people are diabolically evil, it's that there aren't enough good doctors to go around!

If there were machines that could do all of this in a matter of minutes, then there's literally nothing stopping the poor from pooling their limited funds together and buying one. I'm sure that even the billionaires on Elysium would donate one to charity. How is it that they can afford to have huge hospitals with all kinds of people working there, and yet a healing machine is somehow an impossibility? That's just bad writing... and yes, it's just a movie, but if you're going to get political about things then at least have a base understanding of the issues and try to make an intelligent argument.

Last edited:

Klonoa

Woah, Odo, I saw Elysium last night, and although I would give it an 8/10 because I loved the action (I'm kind of forgiving with technicalities and just enjoy the ride, then again they say us latinamericans have low standards, but eh, maybe I just have a HUGE suspense of disbelief), I feel Mega Man Legends did the whole concept of Elysium better, by having the REAL humans living in it, and, as slaves in Earth, genetically-created/engineered "beta Carbon" humans to do menial tasks and work, but with the difference the people of Elysium regulated the "Carbon" population in Earth, I kinda wish the Elysium movie did something more into those lines, to make the "Earth" side more likeable (another issue I had, the people on Earth are supposed to be the good guys, but... maybe it's a cultural cringe, but I couldn't really feel related to the main named cast, with the exception of Frey, her daughter and Julio).

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

The Iceman 10/10

This was really good and a true story. I am a sucker for the true stories.

I think Michael Shannon is a great actor, probably one of my favorites. I wanted to give Winona Ryder a blood transfusion or something she seemed anemic as hell, but was nice to see her acting again.

Oh, and David Swimmer played a total sleaze-ball with a pony tail and a happy trigger finger-Weird part for him.
*Spoiler Alert*
Also nice to see James Franco get shot in the first scene he's in. I am soo tired of him!! haha

Odo

Banned
I'm kind of forgiving with technicalities and just enjoy the ride, then again they say us latinamericans have low standards, but eh, maybe I just have a HUGE suspense of disbelief.

Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations. I did think the special effects were quite good, and the acting was pretty solid... though I'm not sure what was up with Jodie Foster's accent. And I can overlook a few minor technicalities or even not notice them at all if the characters/ideas are good... but yeah, there were just too many problems with the script.

Klonoa

Maybe I just had unrealistic expectations. I did think the special effects were quite good, and the acting was pretty solid... though I'm not sure what was up with Jodie Foster's accent. And I can overlook a few minor technicalities or even not notice them at all if the characters/ideas are good... but yeah, there were just too many problems with the script.

Maybe that's the keyword, I had no expectations, thus didn't felt dissapointed.

Now, on the other hand I went see After Earth with no expectations either and that was... Awful...

-9,000,000/10 avoid at all costs.

Flanscho

Watched "Sitcom" two days ago at our weekly film evening. The film was hilarious. It was a french black satire about a respectable french family. Once the father brings home a rat as a pet, and then things turn crazy. The same evening, the son proclaims that he is gay, and when the husband of the cleaning lady tries to talk to him, it turns out he is gay too and they have sex. The daughter in the family tries to commit suicide, but ends up paraplegic. Since she has no feeling anymore in her genitals, she turns to sadomasochism to have fun with her boyfriend. The mother then tries to turn her son back to heterosexuality by having sex with him, while the boyfriend of the disabled daughter is having fun with the cleaning lady, and the gay son and the cleaning ladys husband have group sex with a dozen others in his room, all the while the father dreams about shooting everyone.

Sitcom (trailer) - YouTube

Phoenixx

Wreck-It Ralph - 9/10

I can't believe I waited this long to watch this movie. I absolutely loved it! I'm such a sucker for puns and childish humor, this had me laughing a little bit throughout the movie. Definitely one of my top favorite Disney films. Oh, and Vanellope von Schweetz is a pretty awesome character. Love her! :thumbup:

Silatuyok

It's not a movie, but if you have 30 or so hours to kill I would recommend a show called The Killing, which is available on Netflix. The first two seasons plays out like one reeeeaaallly long movie. It's a detective drama, not much gratuitous gore or violence or sex or any of that stuff, kind of on the slower side. Not for everyone's taste, but I really enjoyed it throughout all three seasons, and I'm looking forward to more when it is available. For a tv show I'd give it 9.5/10.

Odo

Banned
Elysium sucked. Nuff said.

It was a big disappointment for me. District 9 was so much better.

I agree... though D9 also sort of degenerated into straight-up action with a similar generic villain at the end, it was a lot more enjoyable. The lead character was a lot more developed... it's always more satisfying to watch someone struggle with their prejudices than just some generic good guy almost not do the right thing.

I saw:

The Place Beyond The Pines.

Gosling is the man. Seriously, everything he's in is great. He was by far the best thing in this movie. It's hard to talk about it without giving too much away, but overall the acting was amazing and I the way it was structured, because it gave you a different kind of perspective on things. Over the past few years I've really grown to love crime dramas more than any other genre and this one delivered on an epic scale, though I do think that in some ways going the epic route can make it difficult to connect with different characters. I loved this movie.

8.5/10

AND

Prisoners

Another example of solid acting all around. Excellent plot twists that weren't so much unexpected as emotionally satisfying. It was pretty much a perfect film up until the Scooby Doo ending, which I wasn't so keen on but which was also handled as masterfully as possible. The ending loses this one a few points but everyone here is way way on top of their game and even the weather is perfect in this one.

8/10