rate the last film you watched

Kiwong

Pan's Labyrinth 8.5/10. A very dark and violent movie, with imaginative fantasy elements. After such darkness and pain, the final moments of the movie were beautiful. This is the second time I have watched this.

The Perks of Being a Wallflower 7.5/10. I enjoyed this drama that covered really strong themes. What bothers me about films such as this is that apparently shy characters get a chance to say what they really think, all the right words at the right times. I guess it is a kind of wish fulfilment, but it rarely happens in real life. In real life, you look back on the things you wish you had said, or said differently. I saw similarities in this to Donnie Darko and The Loser. I think Donnie Darko is a better film.

Last edited:

MikeyC

Captain Phillips - 8/10

Great movie. Regardless of whether you know the true story behind it, go see it. Not a massive fan of Tom Hanks movies, but he stars good here. The Somali pirates are utterly terrifying and they act great, too. The whole movie, right up to the very final scene, keeps you drawn in. Highly recommended!

It also subtly shows the plight of Somalis, and I'm not going anywhere near that country!

schulajess

Mud
6/10
Why does every movie have to have some love interest plot line?
Interesting characters and setting otherwise.
Of course, gratuitous bare chested michael mcconah

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

MollyBeGood

Mud
6/10
Why does every movie have to have some love interest plot line?
Interesting characters and setting otherwise.
Of course, gratuitous bare chested michael mcconah

Sent from my SGH-T999L using Tapatalk

Matthew M never does a movie w/ out showing his chest...wait...OK "PaperBoy" was Hawt and he remained clothed.

I thought Mud was a bore. Trying to be gritty and cute.Blah! try again!!!

Kiwong

Tsunami - Caught on camera 7.5/10. . There is something about a tsunami that reaches right into one of my primal fears. I've had countless nightmares, all my life, about running from tidal waves. Maybe tsunamis are something my ancestors faced, something so frightening that the fear was passed on in my genes? They frighten me so much, and fill me with a kind of dread like- awe. I want to run away, but at same time, turn and face this deep fear, and so that is why I watched this film. The footage if frightening, and almost mesmerising to watch. As I watched the film I wanted to scream at the tourists watching the wave to get off the beach. I thought the stories and interviews were good and showed the humanity of this disaster. It showed how sometimes out of the darkness can come light. If ever the tide goes out suddenly when I am on the beach, I will be sprinting as fast as possible to the highest hills.

Kiwong

The Crow 7.5/10. I was drawn to this movie due to a like of songs by the Cure linked to this movie. Some of the plot elements aren't exactly original. Revenge, being re-united in death with a loved one (Like Gladiator). You'd think bad guys would have learnt by now to not be so over-confident as to sit down have a chat with the good guy. Other than Eric Craven and the girl Samantha the characters didn't have much depth. I enjoyed the action, Eric Craven's character "The Crow", the impressively dark and gothic cinematography. I was shocked to learn that Brandon Lee died in the making of this film.

Finally got to see Star Trek into darkness. - 7/10
Nowhere near as good as the first one.
The plot was fairly thin, they could have done so much more with it imo.

MikeyC

:eek:

Blasphemy!!!

Kidding. Tom Hanks is my favorite actor though, I just always thought he was amazing in his roles.

I might go see that movie tonight, not sure...
Different tastes, I guess. :) But Captain Phillips is very much worth seeing. I think you'd really like it, especially if you're a fan of Tom Hanks.

Kiwong

Different tastes, I guess. :) But Captain Phillips is very much worth seeing. I think you'd really like it, especially if you're a fan of Tom Hanks.

I'm not a fan of Tom Hanks

But I enjoyed The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, and Big. Castaway was one Tom Hanks film I simply didn't enjoy.

I might go and watch Captain Phillips

MikeyC

I'm not a fan of Tom Hanks

But I enjoyed The Green Mile, Saving Private Ryan, Apollo 13, and Big. Castaway was one Tom Hanks film I simply didn't enjoy.

I might go and watch Captain Phillips
The Green Mile and Saving Private Ryan are critically acclaimed movies, but not my type of movie genre I like, so maybe that's why I don't like Tom Hanks. Castaway started well but was overall not a great movie.

Captain Phillips, though - get on it! So good.

Quietguy11

Again with another anime movie, this one was Howl no Ugoku Shiro or Howl's Moving Castle. I gave it a 7/10 which is pretty much to say that it was "good." But not very good or great.

Silatuyok

World War Z -- 7/10
I went in to this movie knowing almost nothing about it, so I didn't have any kind of expectations. I thought it was entertaining enough, with some genuinely thrilling moments. Definitely not even close to the best zombie/post-apocalyptic/survivalist/epidemic type movie I've seen. But overall it was worth the $1.30 I paid to rent it.

Pacific Rim - 7.1

It was straight up a dumb action movie; cheesy one liners and filled to the 'rim' with clichés. And frankly, I loved every single extravagant minute of it. I would've given it a much worse score if it wasn't so shamelessly aware of what it is, nor ashamed to show it.

It doesn't try to be profound or clever. All it is; There's these big monsters because of reasons, and we built robots to fight 'em. There's an odd satisfaction in that.

Star Trek: Into Darknness - 8.7

It's one of the few movies where I wanted to see it again the next day. There's just something about these new Star Strek movies that just really tickles me in the exact right way.