rate the last film you watched

Regret93

American Beauty - 8/10

I need to find more movies about someone improving themselves, like this or Fight Club.

Phoenixx

Bad Teacher - 6/10

I was actually pretty surprised how good this was. I remember seeing the trailer for it a few years ago when it was released and thought it looked pretty stupid. It had some stupid humor, but it was basically just your simple comedy film with a simple storyline. It's a good film to watch when you're bored and wanting a quick laugh, but it's not hilarious or all that interesting, and it's not something I'd likely watch again. I have to admit I really liked Jason Segel and Justin Timberlake's screen time together, even though it wasn't much. Never would I have paired those two in a movie, but I actually liked them and they made me laugh. They'd do well in another comedy film together I think.

Silatuyok

Rare Exports--7/10--I give this one major props for being a Christmas horror film, which is something rarely attempted. In the end, it has more potential than it delivers, as it gets pretty campy and silly toward the climax. But it was entertaining, and the "Santa's little helpers" are some of the scarier creatures I've seen in a while. I give it a B+ for effort.

Phoenixx

What I've watched in the past 24 hours:

The Croods - 8/10

Loved this movie! :D One of Dreamworks' best, imo. Right up there with HTTYD. The animation and design was so colorful, it was so funny, had a pretty good voice cast too. I need to add this one to my collection.

Monsters University - 9/10

I actually loved this better than The Croods. Another one of my favorites from Pixar, and to be honest I think this is just as good as its sequel. They did a really good job with the character development, as far as showing how Mike, Sully, and Randal got to where they would eventually be in Monsters Inc. and why they act the way they do. The only thing I wish they did different was focus on Randal's story more. It was still all about Mike and Sully, and while that isn't a bad thing, I wish they switched perspective slightly. As a sidenote, Dean Hardscrabble is one BAMF of a character. I don't know who exactly designed her, but kudos to them and their creativity and making a female character stand out so excellently.

Life Of Pi - 5/10

I... really don't know what to say about this. After watching it I don't understand all the hype it got at awards shows. Sure, the animation is excellent, but I think that's really all it has going for it. There was maybe a couple other scenes that were pretty good, but this movie did not capture my attention at all. I often found myself either wondering what the heck was going on or being bored. Maybe I'd like it better and know more of what was going on if I read the book....? I really don't know. Not really my type of film, I don't think. :idontknow:

Man of Steel - 6

I'm starting to get the feeling that a really good Superman movie is impossible to make. They can make the Superman suit look kewl and textured- but it's still a skin tight blue suit with big dumb red cape (no matter how hot it looks). And that rings true for the rest of the franchise. It's too cartooney to get the gritty 'realistic' Hollywood treatment.

With that said - this movie was fine for what I expected it to be. Tons better than Superman Returns, that's for sure. But while the fight scenes were cool and the road through the film was decent, I feel there was a bit too much exposition. I get why they didn't want a movie focussing on a origin story for the reason that pretty much every single Superman movie to date has been a origin story, but I did found it a bit jarring how fast they moved through it.

And since he got the suit from his father rather than make it himself, why did it look so much different than the apparel they wore on Krypton? The blue and red seems extremely forced and out of place. If this had a reason, it wasn't explained very well.

Last edited:
The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 8/10

I went alone to the movies last Friday to watch The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in IMAX 3D. I was a little worried that I went alone, because who goes alone to the movies? But I sat next to someone who was there alone too so I didn't feel weird afterwards.

The film was awesome and much better than the first film, I really enjoyed it and want to see it again. Smaug kicked *** in the film, Smaug is probably the best CGI I've seen and Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug, he did a good job, sounded terrific! I have to say that I liked the ending of the film, can't wait to see the next film! :thumbup:

slapstick

"The Intouchables" french foreign movie based on a true story...5/5 inspirational, feel good movie highly recommend for you sensitive caring types...:crying:

Last edited:
Elysium - 5

The concept was cool, but they failed to deliver a compelling story surrounding the premise.

[spoilers] The rift between rich and poor was way over the top in this movie. To an extent where it just flat out felt unrealistic and unlikely - which is a big deal as the whole plot was based on greedy selfish wealthy people not willing to help out. Logic dictates that if you have a magic machine that cures literally everything you'd spare a few to deal with some of the bigger issues down on the planet. Less friction between classes generally means less problems.

That's essentially what this movie comes down to; forced plot that feels disconnected from what real people would do.

1. The world is screwed up.
2. Rich people cheese it to space.
3. Rich people solve most human problems in space.
4. Earth still very much screwed up.
5. Even though they have the means to, rich people don't want to share because reasons.
6. Plot ensues.

And it would've been nice if we'd got to see a little more of Elysium itself. We have this giant Halo ring-esc installation that's supposedly paradise. Why not show it off a little? All we saw was some pools, houses and stale government facilities. They skipped the main attraction it feels like. The pinnacle of human achievement came across as a glorified hotel resort at best. [/spoilers]

Flanscho

The last movie I watched was a norwegian dystopia called Anderland. It was about a guy who seemed to commit suicide and suddenly finds himself in a strange city.

The good about that city:
- no pain
- no death
- friendly people
- quickly have friends and a partner
- nice job

The bad:
- no smell
- no taste
- people are extremely shallow
- no drugs

MollyBeGood

Elysium - 5

The concept was cool, but they failed to deliver a compelling story surrounding the premise.

[spoilers] The rift between rich and poor was way over the top in this movie. To an extent where it just flat out felt unrealistic and unlikely - which is a big deal as the whole plot was based on greedy selfish wealthy people not willing to help out. Logic dictates that if you have a magic machine that cures literally everything you'd spare a few to deal with some of the bigger issues down on the planet. Less friction between classes generally means less problems.

That's essentially what this movie comes down to; forced plot that feels disconnected from what real people would do.

1. The world is screwed up.
2. Rich people cheese it to space.
3. Rich people solve most human problems in space.
4. Earth still very much screwed up.
5. Even though they have the means to, rich people don't want to share because reasons.
6. Plot ensues.

And it would've been nice if we'd got to see a little more of Elysium itself. We have this giant Halo ring-esc installation that's supposedly paradise. Why not show it off a little? All we saw was some pools, houses and stale government facilities. They skipped the main attraction it feels like. The pinnacle of human achievement came across as a glorified hotel resort at best. [/spoilers]

Agree completely this was lacking with a capital "L"
maybe it needed to be longer to really make it richer as far as going into things more? I thought it was too short, speed-up it fit into the nice 2 hr movie goer package.
Oh yes, the same visuals with the big loopy thing was boring after 5 mins-with a budget like they had to make this movie I would have thought the visuals should have been outstanding and not so repetitive.
Also thought it was silly they could even enter the airspace undetected-like and get through. They would have been shot down the instant they were detected, hence end of movie. That made it silly and unbelievable to me when that scene happened. I lost interest after that.

MollyBeGood

Crystal Fairy 7/10

I liked this one a lot.
A road trip movie is always pretty good if the characters are engaging.
There was the main girl Crystal, who was funny and out-spoken so I liked her instantly. They were going on a journey to acquire a hallucinogenic (cactus) which is always a good cause, too :)
Very unpredictable plot. I was glad I watched it.

Silatuyok

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug 8/10

I went alone to the movies last Friday to watch The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug in IMAX 3D. I was a little worried that I went alone, because who goes alone to the movies? But I sat next to someone who was there alone too so I didn't feel weird afterwards.

The film was awesome and much better than the first film, I really enjoyed it and want to see it again. Smaug kicked *** in the film, Smaug is probably the best CGI I've seen and Cumberbatch as the voice of Smaug, he did a good job, sounded terrific! I have to say that I liked the ending of the film, can't wait to see the next film! :thumbup:

I'm glad to hear this. I really didn't like the first film, and wasn't planning to go see the second one. I read a bad review about it in the paper, but everyone I know who has seen it really liked it. I guess if someone wants to take me to see it I won't complain...

Klonoa

I'm starting to get the feeling that a really good Superman movie is impossible to make.

All-Star Superman would beg to respectfully disagree with you.

The problem with DC live-action outputs, Dark Knight Trilogy included, is that they've been hiring only outside hollywood writers who could REALLY care less about the characters, as opposed to Marvel's Live Film Universe which has Stan Lee and the comicbook writers involved. Because the time they didn't, it was awful (the first Hulk film...)

Anyway, I saw the new Hobbit movie.

9/10, god damn I LOVE High Fantasy. <3 Can't wait for the next, final one.

Last edited:
Prisoners with Hugh Jackman and Jake Gyllenhaal: 7/10. Effective thriller but not exactly fresh material. Disturbing though, and I like disturbing movies, even if I've seen the same conventions before.

Silatuyok

The Heat--9/10--one of the funnier movies I've ever seen. If you like profanity and crudeness, you might love this movie. The only parts I didn't like were the horribly graphic violent scenes that go way beyond slapstick comedy into something totally cringe-worthy.

Bronson99

I'm glad to hear this. I really didn't like the first film, and wasn't planning to go see the second one. I read a bad review about it in the paper, but everyone I know who has seen it really liked it. I guess if someone wants to take me to see it I won't complain...

Which night would be good for you?