rate the last film you watched

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 9/10

Seeing this a month after it was released, in the middle of a snowstorm was nice, no one else was in the theater :D As far as the movie, like the first it was good - as a complement to the book. I think without reading the book AND watching the movie much is lost.

Somersault - 8.9/10

It took a while to sink in, once it did what it was conveying made for a good indie flick.

Odo

Banned
World War Z

The book was really well done, but I had heard beforehand that it wasn't like the book so it managed to meet my lowered expectations. It wasn't scary at all, but the action was decent, there was a degree of suspense, and the special effects were good. The plot consisted mostly of Brad Pitt flying around the world and getting attacked by zombies... he wasn't much of a character and I thought the whole 'mysterious government agent' thing was kind of hokey, but I was afraid that the zombies would eat his pretty face and spoil his beauty, so I cared.

It wasn't anywhere near the Romero series, and it contained no cultural insights, satire, original ideas, or even very many interesting things lifted from the book, but it beats The Walking Dead any day.

6/10.

Hunger Games: Catching Fire - 9/10

Seeing this a month after it was released, in the middle of a snowstorm was nice, no one else was in the theater :D

Interesting. I would prefer at least a few other people in the theater, but I enjoy viewing a movie in a full theater. It feels too lonely to me without others there, too. And to me, there's something nice about sharing a movie experience with a bunch of complete strangers; I feel it bonds us together in a small way for a short period of time.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
Interesting. I would prefer at least a few other people in the theater, but I enjoy viewing a movie in a full theater. It feels too lonely to me without others there, too. And to me, there's something nice about sharing a movie experience with a bunch of complete strangers; I feel it bonds us together in a small way for a short period of time.

I wasn't completely alone, I did go with someone. This theater was really tiny with uncomfortable seats too, so being able to take off my shoes and sit in normally socially unacceptable positions (feet up on the seat in front of me, knees up to chest, lounged out across two or three seats) was also nice ::p: .

I think I get what you're saying though, I can see how it's sometimes nice to get the same awesome experience other people are getting while they are also experiencing it. I think I'm different too though, for two reasons I can think of. 1) I am can be very annoying at movies at times for whoever sits next to me, since I like to comment on things which is generally not appreciated, and restraining from doing so lessens the enjoyment and 2) I can sometimes feel self-conscious watching movies. That includes worrying about acting a certain way when certain things on screen happen and what will be thought of me for enjoying this part of a movie or looking bored at this part etc. I do enjoy seeing movies with others, sometimes it feels like a chore too though. Good and bad in everything!

All-Star Superman would beg to respectfully disagree with you.

The problem with DC live-action outputs, Dark Knight Trilogy included, is that they've been hiring only outside hollywood writers who could REALLY care less about the characters, as opposed to Marvel's Live Film Universe which has Stan Lee and the comicbook writers involved. Because the time they didn't, it was awful (the first Hulk film...)

Anyway, I saw the new Hobbit movie.

9/10, god damn I LOVE High Fantasy. <3 Can't wait for the next, final one.

Really? I should really check out DC's internal movies then. I did like most of the Dark Knight trilogy, though. With the exception of Dark Knight Rises.

Klonoa

Really? I should really check out DC's internal movies then. I did like most of the Dark Knight trilogy, though. With the exception of Dark Knight Rises.

Please do. =) As a fellow member, I'd most reccomend you to watch the DC Animated Films, they're incredibly well written and well-executed.

I liked Dark Knight Trilogy, too, and Rises did felt weak... But I can't still shake off this feeling that something about them it's off. Kind of like "It's very cool, it's well executed, it helped made hero movies mainstream but... That Batman's rather uncanny".

Maybe because I was to used to Burton's take on the character in his 2 films, as well as The Animated Series.

Regardless... I'd reccomend you, from the DCAF:

Justice League: Doom, All-Star Superman, Batman: Under the Red Hood, Flashpoint Paradox (boy, this one ROCKS my socks off!), The Dark Knight Returns part 1 and The Dark Knight Returns part 2.

The stories are very well written, the acting is well-delviered, it really depresses me Flashpoint Paradox is an animated movie, for it very well had been an excellent live-action movie and re-introduce The Flash to the mainstream audience. One can only hope/dream...

greggy

into the wild 10 out of 10 :)

ive watched it over a 100 times

"ya big thief" ive not seen that film;)

Hey I saw it a few weeks ago, I liked it but it was in spanish so I guess id have to knock it down slightly because I didn't catch more of it, so 7/10

Klonoa

Hey I saw it a few weeks ago, I liked it but it was in spanish so I guess id have to knock it down slightly because I didn't catch more of it, so 7/10

Mexican Spanish or Spainard Spanish, if I may ask?

I honestly, don't like most live-action films dubbed unless it's done EXTREMELY well, which is more often than not rare. I feel part of the essence is lost, sometimes due mediocre translation by the guy in charge of translating not picking up some slang or refferences, other times due mediocre dub-directing and, recently, mediocre voice-acting altogether.

Subtitles for the win.

greggy

Mexican Spanish or Spainard Spanish, if I may ask?

I honestly, don't like most live-action films dubbed unless it's done EXTREMELY well, which is more often than not rare. I feel part of the essence is lost, sometimes due mediocre translation by the guy in charge of translating not picking up some slang or refferences, other times due mediocre dub-directing and, recently, mediocre voice-acting altogether.

Subtitles for the win.

Spanish from spain, although I lrefer mexican dubbed films, I know what you mean, its like have you ever seen the simpsons In spain? The voices are flippin hilarious, and a spanish friend of mine made me laugh when he said do you have the simpsons in english?! Hahha he thought the simpsons are spanish and didn't notice it had been dubbed!!! Hahaha:kickingmyself:

Klonoa

Spanish from spain, although I lrefer mexican dubbed films, I know what you mean, its like have you ever seen the simpsons In spain? The voices are flippin hilarious, and a spanish friend of mine made me laugh when he said do you have the simpsons in english?! Hahha he thought the simpsons are spanish and didn't notice it had been dubbed!!! Hahaha:kickingmyself:

Wait, are you from Mexico or Spain? o_O I kind of got confused at your anecdote for a moment there. Your spainard friend asked you if you had The Simpsons in english?

I'd like to add, spainard Homer is worst Homer due to the unfitting voice. He sounds WAY too smart than he should be, instead of trying to sound llike Dan Castellaneta's more oaf-ish Homer..

In hindsight, maybe that's why some people hate the Donkey Kong Country english dub, with DK sounding like a young adult rather than a brutish gorilla. But DAMN can he sing amazingly...

greggy

Wait, are you from Mexico or Spain? o_O I kind of got confused at your anecdote for a moment there. Your spainard friend asked you if you had The Simpsons in english?

I'd like to add, spainard Homer is worst Homer due to the unfitting voice. He sounds WAY too smart than he should be, instead of trying to sound llike Dan Castellaneta's more oaf-ish Homer..

In hindsight, maybe that's why some people hate the Donkey Kong Country english dub, with DK sounding like a young adult rather than a brutish gorilla. But DAMN can he sing amazingly...

No i live in the uk but I was just saying as for spanish dubbed movies I prefer mexican dubbing, yes I agree with the spanish homer its no way near as good as the original american voice, espe ially when he's freakin out lol!

Klonoa

No i live in the uk but I was just saying as for spanish dubbed movies I prefer mexican dubbing, yes I agree with the spanish homer its no way near as good as the original american voice, espe ially when he's freakin out lol!

Ah, I understand that! Yeah, back in the day, when the Simpsons just began to catch on steam thanks to the original Truman shorts and the first season, Matt Groening came to Mexico and personally casted the mexican voiceactors. The original mexican voice-actor Humberto Velez seeked to sound similar to Castellaneta while giving his own twist to the character's voice, which refined into years.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=CKI7a_omJ6k

Then something happened and Fox fired almost all voice-cast (only Lenny, Kent Brockman and Moe remain the same), giving us deadbeat "dubbers" (not legitimate voice-actors) to pay less, and TERRIBLE translators, which absolutely fail and translating jokes and refferences it makes me cringe.

And of course, then there's the HUGE flame war between both Latinamerica and Spain, because LatAm claim their dub is better because Groening said so, and Spain saying theirs is better, because some Fox executives said so. It's quite amusing, really, how the concept of a dub can stir so much flames and insults.

greggy

Ah, I understand that! Yeah, back in the day, when the Simpsons just began to catch on steam thanks to the original Truman shorts and the first season, Matt Groening came to Mexico and personally casted the mexican voiceactors. The original mexican voice-actor Humberto Velez seeked to sound similar to Castellaneta while giving his own twist to the character's voice, which refined into years.

Soy Un Pastelito Horneado de Canela - YouTube

Then something happened and Fox fired almost all voice-cast (only Lenny, Kent Brockman and Moe remain the same), giving us deadbeat "dubbers" (not legitimate voice-actors) to pay less, and TERRIBLE translators, which absolutely fail and translating jokes and refferences it makes me cringe.

And of course, then there's the HUGE flame war between both Latinamerica and Spain, because LatAm claim their dub is better because Groening said so, and Spain saying theirs is better, because some Fox executives said so. It's quite amusing, really, how the concept of a dub can stir so much flames and insults.

do you work with the makers of the simpsons??haha

Klonoa

Nope, it just was VERY serious business when that happened, and caused quite a stir here when the whole voice-cast replacing happened.

Silatuyok

Anchorman 2--7/10
I enjoyed it, and it had some really funny parts, but overall just doesn't hold a candle to the original. The Heat is still by far the funniest movie of the year for me.

The Prestige - 9.5

I have an undying love for this film.

It wasn't my first viewing, I've seen it a few years ago, but it's such a compelling ride. Other than heavily relying on a big reveal (which becomes drastically less impactful when you know what is going to happen), it's nearly perfect.

A lot of movies leave me kind of unsatisfied. They're cool, but they rarely leave a lasting impression on me. This one however feels complete and rich, without being excessive.

drganon

The Room-Riff Trax Version. 10/10

The movie is so bad, its great. Having the guys from mst3k making fun of it makes it even greater.

Phoenixx

Rise Of The Guardians -- 8/10
Great film! I've been wanting to watch this since it came out last year, but why I hadn't bothered until last night I don't know. Don't really have much else to say about this film other than Jack Frost is a gorgeous animated character.

Turbo -- 5/10
This was pretty stupid, to put it bluntly. I didn't really understand the whole concept (Snail aspires to be a racecar? Why??), not to mention the storyline, I thought, was not all that well written either. There were only a few small things that were actually entertaining and that's about it. I felt like the characters were so one-dimensional, so flat and boring. But hey, it's definitely a movie suited much better for little kids, hence the simplicity of it all. It's definitely not an animated movie I'd watch again.