How are you feeling?

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
What's up?
Oh, I'm just worrying about money as per usual. Wondering how much I'll probably be spending again this year at Christmas. Plus, I've got my sisters and oldest niece's birthday presents to get before all. As well as another phone bill to pay at the start of December.

Not to mention, I'm dreading being forced into sitting at the dinner table again this year. I'd rather just eat it by myself in peace than sit at the table on edge. Being very careful in what I say because the last thing I want is to start another argument with my older sister. And given our differences of opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement that we've shared on our Facebook pages in recent months, I think she might start with me. Since she's yet to angrily respond to my posts or unfriend me.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

And given our differences of opinion on the Black Lives Matter movement that we've shared on our Facebook pages in recent months, I think she might start with me. Since she's yet to angrily respond to my posts or unfriend me.
If I know certain family members or other people will straight-up start political debates in person based on what I or others posted on FB, I will either a) unfollow said person and post my own views to only be seen by certain people and not them, or b) not even be friends with that person. Those kinds of people are not worth engaging, especially on a daily basis. If they're persistent on commenting in order to argue, I either don't bother to read what they have to say or I'll tell it like it is and if they don't like it, too bad. They started it and I'll either choose to finish it or leave them hanging. My choosing to finish it is usually stating my point and then indicating to not even bother arguing because for one, they're not going to change my opinion, and two, their sources backing up their apparent argument are so horribly biased and false that it doesn't even make sense for a clear debate to begin with.

I don't know what your family's like socially, if they're the ones to jump into these topics and try to drag you in too, but good to just avoid these topics at all costs. Even moreso if your family's already toxic as it is and no one sees eye-to-eye on anything. My brother is currently living back with my parents, so whenever I stop in for more than 5 minutes to see my mother, my brother apparently seems to think talking about debatable topics like politics is a good way to start a conversation and will try to talk (read: argue) about it with me even though we clearly have disparate views on such matters. (He doesn't have FB, so he doesn't know all my views I don't think, but he does know I lean much more liberally.) It would be different if he were capable of holding an actual discussion, but sometimes he loves to argue for the sake of arguing. I take a similar approach IRL than I do on FB with him. So my response to him is usually, "I didn't come here to bicker about politics and believe me, you and I both know that's an argument you're not going to win, so let's not waste each other's time." It usually shuts him up, but if he does try to continue to talk about it, I will ignore him and either a) start the conversation I needed to have with my mother or b) straight up leave (this is rare; it's typically when he's deciding to be exceptionally ignorant and argumentative).

I know you live with your family, so it's hard to avoid them, but remember you always have the option to either partake in toxic one-sided conversations or ignoring them entirely if they do happen, and of course just post on FB with a limited audience.

Phoenixx

I'm feeling alright today. Better than I have all week, partly because it's Friday, but I did wind up having a somewhat decent day yesterday. Food bank volunteering wasn't bad, but so incredibly boring. The people were nice, but definitely not the kind of work I thought I'd be doing. So I probably won't do it again and will try to look for another animal shelter to volunteer at that's hopefully taking new volunteers. My second interview went really well yesterday, but still won't get an answer for a little while. I'm crossing my fingers on this one because I may get an opportunity here on a new idea they were considering implementing but didn't have anyone with experience for but I do. I told them if they did this, I would be able to perform the data entry needed even though I don't have the exact experience on the matter, but similar experiences which could help me easily figure it out. Plus I have all relevant experience needed for the job anyways.

(Please just f-cking hire me already. I'm desperate.)

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
If I know certain family members or other people will straight-up start political debates in person based on what I or others posted on FB, I will either a) unfollow said person and post my own views to only be seen by certain people and not them, or b) not even be friends with that person. Those kinds of people are not worth engaging, especially on a daily basis. If they're persistent on commenting in order to argue, I either don't bother to read what they have to say or I'll tell it like it is and if they don't like it, too bad. They started it and I'll either choose to finish it or leave them hanging. My choosing to finish it is usually stating my point and then indicating to not even bother arguing because for one, they're not going to change my opinion, and two, their sources backing up their apparent argument are so horribly biased and false that it doesn't even make sense for a clear debate to begin with.

I don't know what your family's like socially, if they're the ones to jump into these topics and try to drag you in too, but good to just avoid these topics at all costs. Even moreso if your family's already toxic as it is and no one sees eye-to-eye on anything. My brother is currently living back with my parents, so whenever I stop in for more than 5 minutes to see my mother, my brother apparently seems to think talking about debatable topics like politics is a good way to start a conversation and will try to talk (read: argue) about it with me even though we clearly have disparate views on such matters. (He doesn't have FB, so he doesn't know all my views I don't think, but he does know I lean much more liberally.) It would be different if he were capable of holding an actual discussion, but sometimes he loves to argue for the sake of arguing. I take a similar approach IRL than I do on FB with him. So my response to him is usually, "I didn't come here to bicker about politics and believe me, you and I both know that's an argument you're not going to win, so let's not waste each other's time." It usually shuts him up, but if he does try to continue to talk about it, I will ignore him and either a) start the conversation I needed to have with my mother or b) straight up leave (this is rare; it's typically when he's deciding to be exceptionally ignorant and argumentative).

I know you live with your family, so it's hard to avoid them, but remember you always have the option to either partake in toxic one-sided conversations or ignoring them entirely if they do happen and of course just post on FB with a limited audience.

I know... it just they tend to put me on the spot when they ask what I think. Then they usually go off on one, telling me I'm wrong or mock me from having the perspective I do, etc. Which is why I tend to keep quiet at the dinner table during Christmas. Since I know I'll likely start an argument, unintentionally.

Plus, my older sister pulled the "You don't understand what it's like to deal with racism" argument on the oldest sibling (technically step-sibling) who is white, playing the victim in my opinion. Something I never called her on at the time because I knew she'd start on me.

And my older sister also has a tendency to do this as well:

but sometimes he loves to argue for the sake of arguing.

So that, coupled with the fact that I still haven't forgotten about the smug "You do f__k around here, anyway" remark she made to me before last Christmas. Not that I ever get an apology any time my family says something that upsets me, since it's always me who's in the wrong. Anyway, I just feel I'd be better spending Christmas by myself since as soon as the initial lockdown restrictions on meeting up were lifted here in Scotland, things just went back to normal - ie. My older sister complaining nearly every time she and her kids come to visit.

Also, the last 2 times we did get into an argument, it ended with me being told to "F__k off!!", and the middle child storming off in the huff. Then I got guff from our mother who asked me why I'm always started drama. Ironic, considering I'm the quiet, "sensible" one. Or the "right clever cunt" as one of my cousins described me once.

As for what my family is like socially. Speaking for myself, whenever I'm in the room, it's usually tense. And it's not just me who's noticed this, my oldest sister even said the same a few months ago. Like it'll kick off at any moment if one of us says a wrong word, or makes a joke that middle child takes offense at. I mean, she kicked off a few days ago after our oldest sister jokingly asking her if she wanted to put our mother's eye drops in for her.

I do post to a limited audience on FB now (a couple of my cousins, my oldest sister, and her fiancée). Don't know if I can be bothered going back and limiting my older posts since I haven't said anything wrong.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

Happy that it's Fall. 🙂

I actually jumped the gun this morning and wore a hoodie, even though it was a little too warm for it.

Screw it... Autumn is a state of mind. 🍂🍁🍂
I've been fully embracing the cooler weather the last few days. We had two mornings in a row with frost, and the last few days have only been a high of 60 - 65 degrees. Broke out my boots, sweaters, and skinny jeans. 😁🍁🍂

Phoenixx

Like a pile of shit yet again. I'm worthless and no one cares. I have no idea what to do with myself anymore. I not once ever had a regret in my life, but I regret ever finishing college. I regret falling into that trap of having a degree and getting no where. I told myself I would never fall into that trap, yet here I am stuck.

I am so freaking sick of companies not hiring me simply based on what I can't lift. These jobs I'm applying for don't even do this lifting on a daily basis! I meet all the other fucking requirements yet, "No sorry you can't lift 50 lbs so we're not hiring you." JFC, if I knew that I would've been spending the last several years lifting weights and being stupid instead of actually gaining knowledge and skills for other jobs. My mistake! 😡😡😡

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Like a pile of shit yet again. I'm worthless and no one cares. I have no idea what to do with myself anymore. I not once ever had a regret in my life, but I regret ever finishing college. I regret falling into that trap of having a degree and getting no where. I told myself I would never fall into that trap, yet here I am stuck.

I am so freaking sick of companies not hiring me simply based on what I can't lift. These jobs I'm applying for don't even do this lifting on a daily basis! I meet all the other fucking requirements yet, "No sorry you can't lift 50 lbs so we're not hiring you." JFC, if I knew that I would've been spending the last several years lifting weights and being stupid instead of actually gaining knowledge and skills for other jobs. My mistake! 😡😡😡

I'm probably gonna start a courier business once I get back into therapy. Companies like Amazon need people to deliver packages like crazy right now. Could you do something similar? It doesn't take much to get started and you'd be your own boss.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I'm probably gonna start a courier business once I get back into therapy. Companies like Amazon need people to deliver packages like crazy right now. Could you do something similar? It doesn't take much to get started and you'd be your own boss.
I honestly thought about doing a similar service with grocery pickup and delivery for people in my area. My area is rural enough where Instacart isn't available outside of towns here and many people are without access to the delivery - including myself. I have had other business ideas as well, but I just don't know how to execute it honestly. I don't have much money left of my own and I can't bring myself to ask my husband to use any of our (rather his) finances to foot a business that may or may not work. I feel like if this is something I want to do, then I need to foot the bill myself and in order to do that I need a job. Job hunting has taken up a lot of my time and energy to the point it's just depressing me horribly now, to the point where I really have no energy or inspiration left to even want to help myself. I think I just need a break from it altogether and collect myself again.

Phoenixx

Anxious. I should be feeling excited for the upcoming weekend since my friends are visiting, and for next week, but I feel like I have a ton on my plate suddenly and I'm just thinking the worst overall.

I was denied this job over a stupid lifting limit, and I wound up fighting it and actually got the position. It really infuriated me because of the two interviews I went through, I was told my not being able to lift 50 lbs from the ground up wasn't going to be an issue since they had equipment and others to assist. If I could push and drag, which I can, I was fine. So when I got the call from the woman in HR saying, "Oh well, you have on your application that you can't lift 50 lbs so I can't offer you the position," I kinda started seeing red. I was already denied one job this year because of that reason, and again it was a position where the lifting was not a main part of the job, so I wasn't going to go through this again. Especially since job hunting has been such a pain in the ass for the last 4+ months. I'm not one to always take the word "no" lightly, and when I'm determined and know better - like in this situation - social anxiety be damned I usually push until I get what I want.

I probably came off pretty bitchy to the woman, but I made a good case. I asked her, "So, I meet all the qualifications on the list, but yet because I cannot lift this weight - which I was told was not going to be an issue in both interviews - I can't even be hired?" She hesitates and says, "Oh, you were told it wasn't going to be an issue?" I told her no. She says she'll double-check and call me right back. Over 5 hours passed since I got the call, so I assumed they were going to ghost me like everyone else has been with applying for jobs. But she called me back and offered me the position.

I'm still worried though because my mind keeps cycling through all the what-ifs. What if this doesn't work out? What if they don't accommodate my needs as well and then they end up letting me go? What if working here is going to suck so bad that it won't be worth it and I find myself quitting, therefore I fought for nothing? What if they don't like me at all? What if the management will be like my last job and will kick me down til there's nothing left of my self-esteem?

I start orientation next week and officially start on Tuesday. I really hope this works out. 🤞

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Headache.

I've been drinking a lot of coffee and dieting; I'm back down to 218, but I'm dehydrated as crap.

Who cares? I can see my cheekbones. 💀 🤣

What sort of diet plan are you following? Anyway cheekbones is relatable. I'm down over 40# now. I haven't been this thin in over 20 years so I'm seeing a different face in the mirror now and it's a good thing.

What if this doesn't work out? What if they don't accommodate my needs as well and then they end up letting me go? What if working here is going to suck so bad that it won't be worth it and I find myself quitting, therefore I fought for nothing? What if they don't like me at all? What if the management will be like my last job and will kick me down til there's nothing left of my self-esteem?

All of these things might happen, true. The only way to get a job where they don't happen, however, is to forge ahead because that is also possible.

theoutsider

I'm still worried though because my mind keeps cycling through all the what-ifs. What if this doesn't work out? What if they don't accommodate my needs as well and then they end up letting me go? What if working here is going to suck so bad that it won't be worth it and I find myself quitting, therefore I fought for nothing? What if they don't like me at all? What if the management will be like my last job and will kick me down til there's nothing left of my self-esteem?

I start orientation next week and officially start on Tuesday. I really hope this works out. 🤞

You can't know until you give it a try. It might be the best job you've ever had, you just never know. If not, walking away from it isn't the worse thing that could happen. You'd be no worse off economically than you are now although I do know these types of things can take a toll on you psychologically. Best of luck to you!

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
What sort of diet plan are you following? Anyway cheekbones is relatable. I'm down over 40# now. I haven't been this thin in over 20 years so I'm seeing a different face in the mirror now and it's a good thing.

Congratulations, NPW. It's weird losing weight at different stages in life. I was kind of frozen at "30-something" because I was buried under 80 pounds of fat and hadn't seen myself "skinny" in 10 years. Losing weight was like meeting a new person this time around. "Grown Brandon". XD

As far as a "plan", *nervous laughter* I had put 25 pounds back-on so I'm just eating salads and drinking metric tons of coffee to get back down to 215; which is only two pounds away now. It's unhealthy, but I didn't have the stomach to go full-Atkins again. Once you've done that for four months you're sick to death of it. 🤢

I've probably spent half my life on one fad diet or another. 😒