Does it annoy you? ....Or do you agree?

Do you agree or disagree? (please read first sentence of topic)

• Yes, I agree with that statement

Votes: 10 21.7%
  • I agree somewhat

Votes: 21 45.7%
  • No, I disagree with that statement

Votes: 14 30.4%
  • I've never tried, so I don't know

Votes: 1 2.2%

• Total voters

lyricalliaisons

I can see why it would annoy someone who does not benefit from exposure therapy, but I can agree that it works for me. I'll have to choose that I agree somewhat. Btw, I did CBT, but the exposure part I did on my own. I don't really have much of a choice but to put myself out there.

I agree with & see what you're saying :) My only problem is when people who do benefit from it tell me that it WILL work & DOES work as if they know for certain that because it worked for them, it would work for everyone. I don't agree with that generalized way of thinking because just because something works for one person, or even most people, doesn't mean it will work for everyone because everyone is different & everyone's brain is wired differently. CBT was another thing that didn't work for me lol. I found it to be a load of crap lol because it had nothing to do with what I experience.

lyricalliaisons

have you checked into sensory processing disorder?

Sensory Processing Disorder Checklist

No, I haven't. I'd never even heard of it before now, but I do believe I have an ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder), which encompasses a lot of the same things that sensory processing disorder seems to. Unfortunately, I still haven't been tested because I have no insurance but I'm hoping that will change soon. I truly believe an ASD is behind a lot of my problems & i'd really like to know for certain. This may have something to do with it though, Thanks for the link :) I've bookmarked it to have a better look at it when I'm not half asleep lol

lyricalliaisons

I try not to tell anyone what the answers are because I'm certain I don't have them.

I definitely don't think there's some single wonderful cure that works for everyone all the time.
I definitely agree with you on that :)

What you've described doesn't sound so much like exposure therapy as it does just plain exposure.

From wiki: "Exposure therapy is a technique in behavior therapy which involves the exposure to the feared object or context without any danger while the therapist comforts the client in order to reduce anxiety."

You mentioned that you've worked with therapists--do they just tell you to go out and you'll get used to it? That sounds like they're getting paid for nothing!
Yeah, that's exactly what they do! This actually made me mad when I saw it because it's not at all what I was always told. All three therapists I've had have told me to leave the house more often & talk to people more often & go places on my own more often & I'd get used to it as the time went on, but certainly were never any sort of comforting presence throughout the ordeal. Though, I'm not afraid of an "object" but of many different things, including leaving the house, so I think that would be kind of hard for them to do anyway. But all my therapists have done is talk to me for an hour or less & tell me things to do before my next appointment. But they've never done anything to help other than give advice that is completely useless to me.

I'm wondering now why they've referred to telling me to go out & do things all the time as exposure "therapy" when it wasn't even the therapy, but just plain old exposure. Maybe they still expected it to work. I don't know.

I think sometimes its hit and miss, when I try to put myself out there more I feel fake. I think even without the SP Im a private person to begin with and more of a listener then a talker, so I take that into consideration instead of trying to push myself.
I think maybe the whole thing with going out more and putting yourself out there, even if you think you screw up, or think you look dumb, is to develop a "so what?" attitude, like don't be attached to outcomes. Just be. Don't anlyaze yourself.
But yes its a alot harder then it seems to be. And sometimes I do feel worse about myself when I go to a party and I don't feel social, and I feel like running, its a bigger blow to my self esteem then say if I just stayed home in the first place. No harm no foul. I was at my house comfortable and I didnt make an ass of myself.
I seem to have good days and bad days when it comes to my SP. I think when you do have a good social interaction or actually have a good time out somewhere its best to remember those times then the bad so you can build confidence.

Kinetik

I'm not into exposure at all. It's not like I ever feel better for having gone outside. People cut me off in traffic, give me the stink-eye at the supermarket, push ahead of me in queues. It's like they hate me for no apparent reason, and I'm always under the impression that it's just me, because I'm paranoid and have this tendency to think the world's out to get me. Even when I psych myself up and tell myself that I'm going to be positive, friendly and smile at people, I still feel like everyone would prefer it if I got hit by a bus. I just feel safer and recharged if I stay in my apartment.

Last edited:

seafolly

Yes and no...

Systematic exposure like walking around the block once one day, and twice another day and so on did nothing for me. However! Recently I flew to the States alone, took part in a wedding as a bridesmaid, and flew home alone. THAT is exposure to the extreme and I honestly didn't think I could do it. But I did, and I had FUN and I think that's the most therapeutic thing that's happened all year. I suppose deep down I know I can walk around the block or visit a store with someone. But I don't want to. It's when I accomplish something that I honestly in my heart of hearts thought was impossible do I notice a huge leap in confidence and improvement.

da_illest101

it annoyes me because it never worked for me. there is some ppl i know and talk to for years but i still don't feel comfortable with them. Some I'm comfortable the very second i talk to them. Exposing myself never did anything for me

Mythos & Logos

I voted some what because it really depends on how it's organized & also the time frame. If you just up & start going out more you might find it's extremely overwhelming & only serves to make things worse. However if you're say particularly tense about being on public transport & you start by taking a short trip with someone & slowly build a habit you might not notice it on the day but in a few months you might find you're ok, maybe not calm but able to manage it time & time again. What's really annoying it the just do it mentality which assumes that you can & that all will be well when you do. It's all about approach by the individual doing it & careful support from those encouraging it

seafolly

After thinking a little more about this it does annoy me in a tiny way when it comes from people who don't know my specific issues as they come off a bit insensitive in that manner.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I'm wondering now why they've referred to telling me to go out & do things all the time as exposure "therapy" when it wasn't even the therapy, but just plain old exposure. Maybe they still expected it to work. I don't know.
Well it seems to me that if the cure for being afraid and anxious in the outside world was simply to...go and be in the outside world, then you wouldn't really have a problem to begin with, you know? o_O

agoraphobickatie

i completely agree with the statement because i did force myself to get out of the house more and more and it DID become much easier for me the more and more i did it.....

Waybuloo

Exposure therapy has actually worked in reducing anxiety in general but it made me ruminate more on what happened and think more negatively. When I was working a stressful job in customer service I was tense to breaking point all day but after my shift I'd not have a care in the world whether people on the bus or streets were looking at me weird. I'd even stop shaking in public. I think if you go through something more stressful then less stressful things become less important.

OF course that was only my experience, I dont' doubt it when you said it didn't work for you. Exposure therapy throws us into the deep end and we are faced with flight or fight. If you have always flighted and never tried to fight then you are more likely to flight, rinse and repeat, walk away with a validated fear. Perhaps what you do has something to do with your particular anxiety thresold and the nature of the task. Maybe it's all a delicate balancing act that you have to get right.

SilentType

Banned
Yeah people keep pushing this exposure therapy stuff on me too. All I have to say is, I used to be fine around people, then one day when I was 17, these panic attacks started. I don't think exposure is the answer. I've tried it and it just makes me go crazy... I need to find out what caused those first panic attacks and solve the problem right there at it's roots. Since that first panic attack, my life has withered slowly away. And it continues...

I just wish a therapist would give me another answer. They think everything is black and white, and that anyone with a this problem just needs this treatment, but I just don't think these issues work like that. Therapists want to just cut and past treatments across the board for similar problems, but they need to do a better job of gettin to the root of the problem. Not one of my therapists has even started that discussion with me, just tells me I need to push myself. I have, in fact pushed myself and I always end up crawling back to where I started. Life is so ****ty...

Peace

Peace

fitftw

I don't enjoy leaving the house unless I'm on a mission to buy something that I need or am going to school. Otherwise, I prefer the comfort of my computer and playstation.

recluse

I find that my social anxiety is determined by my mood. If i am feeling tired/depressed my social anxiety strikes.

Exposure does make a bit of a difference as i have made some improvement since being in my current job but it does not seem to be a miracle cure.

I think the whole idea of exposure being a cure as being bull crap. Once you have the idea in your brain that you get anxious with people it's hard to get out of the mindset and no amount of exposure will beat that.

recluse

i completely agree with the statement because i did force myself to get out of the house more and more and it DID become much easier for me the more and more i did it.....

On the other hand going out and facing the worl can reinforce ones feelings of anxiety thus causing a fear of repeating the same, it's a viscious circle.

lyricalliaisons

I voted some what because it really depends on how it's organized & also the time frame. If you just up & start going out more you might find it's extremely overwhelming & only serves to make things worse. However if you're say particularly tense about being on public transport & you start by taking a short trip with someone & slowly build a habit you might not notice it on the day but in a few months you might find you're ok, maybe not calm but able to manage it time & time again. What's really annoying it the just do it mentality which assumes that you can & that all will be well when you do. It's all about approach by the individual doing it & careful support from those encouraging it

I definitely think that if I were in the situation to do that, maybe eventually it could get better & maybe eventually, exposure therapy would do at least a little good. The problem is, I have no one to go with me. I don't have any friends, my mom's too ill, & I have no one else. I have no one to help at all & when I leave the house I have to do it alone, when I ride the bus, I have to do it alone, when I talk to people, I have to do it alone. All it does is make things scarier & scarier & harder & harder to deal with because I have to keep doing more & more all the time & I have to do it all completely alone.

I really wish that were the case for me. I just know that the more I do, the harder doing anything becomes.

I think it depends on the person. It's helpful to some and not to others. Personally, it annoys me a bit when people tell me to go out more, because no matter how much time I spend away from home and no matter how much I go out, I still don't enjoy social situations. They have become easier, but I still dread them. So the 'just go out more' statement is useless for me.

I completely agree with nearly everything you said. The only part I can't relate to is the part about things becoming easier. Things have only become harder for me.

mrb

oh for crying out loud look lolzz im at a loss what to do today so ill pick you up in 10 min , were going to get a little spot of lunch :) then were going shopping , then were going to watch a film :) with a big bowl of popcorn , um you do like popcorn dont you :confused: anyways hurry up and get ready ........ gazza is dragging you out :D

Kiwong

I have no family or friends to tell me that. But I guess I would find it annoying.

I agree that putting yourself out there is easier said than done. The reason I joined this site was a result of putting myself out into a situation. Two weeks ago I had a real melt down when there was a very negative reaction to my anxiety.

I was tempted to avoid the situation, but at great risk to my health, I refused to avoid doing something that I loved. Running. I was beyond fearful, I was crying, couldn't sleep, wasn't eating properly, I felt like I was suffering the after effects of shock, but I faced the feared situation, and had a win. I told everyone what I suffered from, what I going through. And you know what? I got support, I got understanding.

I have to say that by putting myself out there I have lived some wonderful days recently despite everything. These days can't be denied, and they brought me inspiration, happiness and hope.

However, I never ever what to feel like I did two weeks ago. The emotions were too intense. That situation I put myself in will always remind me of that intense fear I felt.

Despite my worst fears there is one thing I will not give away: running and racing.