Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-25-2014
NathanielWingatePeaslee's Avatar
Super Moderator
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cygnus X-1
Posts: 3,968
Thanked 91 Times
NathanielWingatePeaslee NathanielWingatePeaslee is offline
Super Moderator
Elite User
NathanielWingatePeaslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cygnus X-1
Posts: 3,968
Thanked 91 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinialuna View Post
I am curious, but I won't pry.
What makes a predator like that truly dangerous is that they often seem very reasonable and nice. I've been fooled myself more than once--though I was never a target, not for a real predator.

Like most of his ilk on here, they rarely show their true face on the open forum. It's mostly done by pm or chat, and the worst of what they show in the open tends to get deleted for obvious reasons.

You can still use the search function for his username (punkrotten) and see some of the crap he's said when he tried to come back using other names. Search is in the little yellow-orange bar near the top, towards the right. Click 'show posts'.

This is a good place, but it's still the internet. Users should always be wary, and mods always have to be vigilant. Sometimes banned users even come back using a different computer and thus IP address and the mods have to figure out what's going on like detectives, going by little clues.

That's one of the reasons why it's important that predatory behavior gets reported. They rarely limit themselves to just one potential victim.
__________________
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!

Last edited by NathanielWingatePeaslee; 06-25-2014 at 05:29 PM. Reason: grammar
NathanielWingatePeaslee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Expert User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 897
Thanked 0 Times
Lavinialuna Lavinialuna is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 897
Thanked 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanielWingatePeaslee View Post
What makes a predator like that truly dangerous is that they often seem very reasonable and nice. I've been fooled myself more than once--though I was never a target, not for a real predator.

Like most of his ilk on here, they rarely show their true face on the open forum. It's mostly done by pm or chat, and the worst of what they show in the open tends to get deleted for obvious reasons.

You can still use the search function for his username (punkrotten) and see some of the crap he's said when he tried to come back using other names. Search is in the little yellow-orange bar near the top, towards the right. Click 'show posts'.

This is a good place, but it's still the internet. Users should always be wary, and mods always have to be vigilant. Sometimes banned users even come back using a different computer and thus IP address and the mods have to figure out what's going on like detectives, going by little clues.

That's one of the reasons why it's important that predatory behavior gets reported. They rarely limit themselves to just one potential victim.
Thanks for the info. It always amazes me that people find the time and have the desire to cause people upset purely for their evil entertainment. You would think they could find a more fulfilling hobby. Glad the moderators know what they are doing!
Lavinialuna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
MollyBeGood's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: genpop
Posts: 3,708
Thanked 332 Times
MollyBeGood MollyBeGood is offline
Elite User
MollyBeGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: genpop
Posts: 3,708
Thanked 332 Times
I can't believe the WalkAlone was PunkRotten. I honestly don't remember what he did but I chatted with him in the chat room, which I rarely do with anyone anymore and he seemed intelligent. I got no predatory vibes but Wow, that sucks whatever he did to people!! I am sorry for whom ever he hurt here. It is really a sad world when people feel the need to do such things to others. I just for the life of me don't get it.
MollyBeGood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
vj288's Avatar
Grand champion orangutan wrangler, welterweight class
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the waves...
Posts: 3,954
Thanked 147 Times
vj288 vj288 is offline
Grand champion orangutan wrangler, welterweight class
Elite User
vj288's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Under the waves...
Posts: 3,954
Thanked 147 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBeGood View Post
I can't believe the WalkAlone was PunkRotten. I honestly don't remember what he did but I chatted with him in the chat room, which I rarely do with anyone anymore and he seemed intelligent. I got no predatory vibes but Wow, that sucks whatever he did to people!! I am sorry for whom ever he hurt here. It is really a sad world when people feel the need to do such things to others. I just for the life of me don't get it.
If you search "Punkrotten" in the search bar as a keyword, you can see some of the insults and threats he threw at the mods under other accounts made after he was initially banned. As Nathan said, most stuff is done through private chat and pm's so we don't really see it on the forums, and if you've seen a show like "Criminal Minds" you know people are very good at hiding who they really are when they want to.
__________________
I'm a stranger to myself

"If you don't imagine, then nothing ever happens at all"
vj288 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
NathanielWingatePeaslee's Avatar
Super Moderator
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cygnus X-1
Posts: 3,968
Thanked 91 Times
NathanielWingatePeaslee NathanielWingatePeaslee is offline
Super Moderator
Elite User
NathanielWingatePeaslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cygnus X-1
Posts: 3,968
Thanked 91 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBeGood View Post
I can't believe the WalkAlone was PunkRotten. I honestly don't remember what he did but I chatted with him in the chat room, which I rarely do with anyone anymore and he seemed intelligent.
Oh, but he is. That's part of the problem.

I'd already started to get a bad vibe from his latest incarnation and took a screenshot of some of what he said in the chatroom in case I needed it later (nothing that bad, just going on my gut). I didn't suspect him to be punkrotten in particular, I just got a feeling something was up.
__________________
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
NathanielWingatePeaslee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
MollyBeGood's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: genpop
Posts: 3,708
Thanked 332 Times
MollyBeGood MollyBeGood is offline
Elite User
MollyBeGood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: genpop
Posts: 3,708
Thanked 332 Times
You guys are great detectives, seriously. I do remember how horrible he was after he got a ban- a really frightening person came shining through. Thanks for all of the diligence here for that sort of thing, it's really nice to have people looking out for you for a change.

I really hope Rems doesn't have to deal with him again. Talk about a thankless job. Oy Vey! he's got me speaking Yiddish now :(
MollyBeGood is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
NathanielWingatePeaslee's Avatar
Super Moderator
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cygnus X-1
Posts: 3,968
Thanked 91 Times
NathanielWingatePeaslee NathanielWingatePeaslee is offline
Super Moderator
Elite User
NathanielWingatePeaslee's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Cygnus X-1
Posts: 3,968
Thanked 91 Times
I enjoyed watching this one much, much more than the video of people kissing that inspired it. I actually couldn't even make it all the way through that.

I'm sure part of that has to do with the jealousy of watching other people kissing, but also the dishonesty of the first one. They're both scripted and casted and to a large extend agreed to beforehand, but there's a limit on how dishonest a video of this type can be.

Watching Random People Slap Each Other In The Face Is Weirdly Compelling
__________________
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn!
NathanielWingatePeaslee is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Barbaric Member
Elite User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,940
Thanked 0 Times
jc972 jc972 is offline
Barbaric Member
Elite User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Posts: 2,940
Thanked 0 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanielWingatePeaslee View Post
What makes a predator like that truly dangerous is that they often seem very reasonable and nice. I've been fooled myself more than once--though I was never a target, not for a real predator.

Like most of his ilk on here, they rarely show their true face on the open forum. It's mostly done by pm or chat, and the worst of what they show in the open tends to get deleted for obvious reasons.

You can still use the search function for his username (punkrotten) and see some of the crap he's said when he tried to come back using other names. Search is in the little yellow-orange bar near the top, towards the right. Click 'show posts'.

This is a good place, but it's still the internet. Users should always be wary, and mods always have to be vigilant. Sometimes banned users even come back using a different computer and thus IP address and the mods have to figure out what's going on like detectives, going by little clues.

That's one of the reasons why it's important that predatory behavior gets reported. They rarely limit themselves to just one potential victim.
Predator? Whoa! ... that took me off guard. Kinda makes sense now with all his douche-baggy comments and the holier than thou-ness vibe i sometimes got from the dude in his posts in the chatroom. Hmm.





Quote:
Originally Posted by Lavinialuna View Post
Thanks for the info. It always amazes me that people find the time and have the desire to cause people upset purely for their evil entertainment. You would think they could find a more fulfilling hobby. Glad the moderators know what they are doing!






Quote:
Originally Posted by MollyBeGood View Post
I can't believe the WalkAlone was PunkRotten. I honestly don't remember what he did but I chatted with him in the chat room, which I rarely do with anyone anymore and he seemed intelligent. I got no predatory vibes but Wow, that sucks whatever he did to people!! I am sorry for whom ever he hurt here. It is really a sad world when people feel the need to do such things to others. I just for the life of me don't get it.

Btw. Thank you, remus and mod team

Last edited by jc972; 06-25-2014 at 10:24 PM.
jc972 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Kiwong's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: falling for life wave after wave and never saying goodbye
Posts: 7,603
Thanked 369 Times
Kiwong Kiwong is offline
Elite User
Kiwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: falling for life wave after wave and never saying goodbye
Posts: 7,603
Thanked 369 Times
I really miss posters like Mr. Jones, someone who seemed to need a site like this. I wonder how he is going sometimes, and also KiaKaha. I almost left this site myself awhile ago. The real troublemakers seems to be in a minority, and they don't often hang around for long. At least I stood up for myself back then.
__________________
In my dreams nothing holds me down, there is only out and away. I wish I could die and be reborn as a bird. William Wharton Birdy
Kiwong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Graeme1988's Avatar
Hie ye hence from me heath!
Elite User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,284
Thanked 432 Times
Graeme1988 Graeme1988 is offline
Hie ye hence from me heath!
Elite User
Graeme1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,284
Thanked 432 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwong View Post
I really miss posters like Mr. Jones, someone who seemed to need a site like this. I wonder how he is going sometimes, and also KiaKaha. I almost left this site myself awhile ago.
Here's hopin' they're aw daein' well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwong View Post
The real troublemakers seems to be in a minority, and they don't often hang around for long.
Aye, ah got fooled by a troublemaker chattin' in MiniChat on here. But thankfully, that wuz just once. Felt like a right eejit, so ah did.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwong View Post
At least I stood up for myself back then.
Nuthin' wrong wi' standin' up fur yersel' when ye need tae.
Graeme1988 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Kiwong's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: falling for life wave after wave and never saying goodbye
Posts: 7,603
Thanked 369 Times
Kiwong Kiwong is offline
Elite User
Kiwong's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Location: falling for life wave after wave and never saying goodbye
Posts: 7,603
Thanked 369 Times
Jeez, sorry that happened to you Graeme. On the minichat I will only speak to posters that I have some familiarity with. If they are username I haven't heard of before I don't respond.
__________________
In my dreams nothing holds me down, there is only out and away. I wish I could die and be reborn as a bird. William Wharton Birdy
Kiwong is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Pacific_Loner's Avatar
Pirate from the North Pole
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,124
Thanked 116 Times
Pacific_Loner Pacific_Loner is offline
Pirate from the North Pole
Elite User
Pacific_Loner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,124
Thanked 116 Times
I don't want to be rude but I really don't get why my neighbour keeps texting me even if I answer 1/5 of the time. He shouldn't be that desperate, he looks like a popular kid. It's a real mystery.
__________________

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Krishnamurti
Pacific_Loner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
Graeme1988's Avatar
Hie ye hence from me heath!
Elite User
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,284
Thanked 432 Times
Graeme1988 Graeme1988 is offline
Hie ye hence from me heath!
Elite User
Graeme1988's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Scotland
Posts: 8,284
Thanked 432 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwong View Post
Jeez, sorry that happened to you Graeme. On the minichat I will only speak to posters that I have some familiarity with. If they are username I haven't heard of before I don't respond.
Aye, that's the approach ah take now wi' MiniChat - even if they say hello and the question being asked actually seems genuine - ie "How are you?".
Graeme1988 is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-25-2014
BlueDays's Avatar
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Elite User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In my secret hiding place.
Posts: 9,635
Thanked 268 Times
BlueDays BlueDays is offline
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Elite User
BlueDays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In my secret hiding place.
Posts: 9,635
Thanked 268 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Loner View Post
I don't want to be rude but I really don't get why my neighbour keeps texting me even if I answer 1/5 of the time. He shouldn't be that desperate, he looks like a popular kid. It's a real mystery.
So he fancies you? Why would you be surprised that a guy is really determined to talk with you? Is he ignoring the fact that you may not want to talk to him in a creepy way, or do you think he simply does not understand your feelings yet?
BlueDays is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014
Pacific_Loner's Avatar
Pirate from the North Pole
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,124
Thanked 116 Times
Pacific_Loner Pacific_Loner is offline
Pirate from the North Pole
Elite User
Pacific_Loner's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Here and there
Posts: 2,124
Thanked 116 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueDays View Post
So he fancies you? Why would you be surprised that a guy is really determined to talk with you? Is he ignoring the fact that you may not want to talk to him in a creepy way, or do you think he simply does not understand your feelings yet?
No I don't think he fancies me I think he just really wants to be friends with me for some reason (I look cooler than I really am). He is not creepy in fact he is nice and friendly, it's just, why would you keep texting someone who is clearly not interested to hang out with you? It makes me feel awkward when we bump into each other in the street and I ignored him the last 5 times he texted me. Lol...
__________________

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society" - Krishnamurti
Pacific_Loner is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014
BlueDays's Avatar
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Elite User
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In my secret hiding place.
Posts: 9,635
Thanked 268 Times
BlueDays BlueDays is offline
Raindrops on roses and whiskers on kittens
Elite User
BlueDays's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: In my secret hiding place.
Posts: 9,635
Thanked 268 Times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pacific_Loner View Post
No I don't think he fancies me I think he just really wants to be friends with me for some reason (I look cooler than I really am). He is not creepy in fact he is nice and friendly, it's just, why would you keep texting someone who is clearly not interested to hang out with you? It makes me feel awkward when we bump into each other in the street and I ignored him the last 5 times he texted me. Lol...
Yes, that would be awkward if you are unavoidably bumping into each other in the street. Well I hope he finally gets the idea and stops texting you. Let us know how it goes.
BlueDays is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014
dottie's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
Posts: 4,598
Thanked 0 Times
dottie dottie is offline
Elite User
dottie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: BIG BROTHER IS WATCHING YOU
Posts: 4,598
Thanked 0 Times
Ashamed of my nihilistic, defeatist outlook towards the world... it is difficult to keep in check... I don't like how it makes other people feel. I don't like how it makes me feel. I don't know how to eradicate it. At the same time... I have to forgive myself for making a faux pas. How is it so easy for some people to just live and let live?
dottie is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014
FountainandFairfax's Avatar
I remember a time of chaos... ruined dreams... this wasted land.
Elite User
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1993
Posts: 3,434
Thanked 422 Times
FountainandFairfax FountainandFairfax is offline
I remember a time of chaos... ruined dreams... this wasted land.
Elite User
FountainandFairfax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: 1993
Posts: 3,434
Thanked 422 Times
Integrity can be a curse.
__________________
Last of the V8 Introverts
Ecc. 1:17
FountainandFairfax is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014
MikeyC's Avatar
Elite User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shellharbour, Australia
Posts: 13,174
Thanked 0 Times
MikeyC MikeyC is offline
Elite User
MikeyC's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Shellharbour, Australia
Posts: 13,174
Thanked 0 Times
I didn't notice anything wrong with WalkAlone, but there you go. Good to see he was fleshed out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kiwong View Post
I really miss posters like Mr. Jones, someone who seemed to need a site like this. I wonder how he is going sometimes, and also KiaKaha.
Jones is actually doing really well. He came to Sydney last year, and we're in constant email communication. He's better than he was when I first spoke to him.

Kia is someone I haven't spoken to in some time but last I heard he was still struggling a little bit and thinking of moving across the ditch to Sydney. I'll have to email him again and see how he's doing.
MikeyC is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Old 06-26-2014
Expert User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 897
Thanked 0 Times
Lavinialuna Lavinialuna is offline
Expert User
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 897
Thanked 0 Times
Been clenching again. Ouch. Anxiety is mean.
Lavinialuna is offline   Reply With QuoteReply With Quote
Reply
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Post a random fact about yourself... nerdgirl178 Social Anxiety Australia 2274 12-03-2017 08:11 AM
Post some random information about yourself Angie973 Texts, Poems, Dreams, Phrases... 843 03-28-2016 08:50 PM
Sharing random thoughts and fears. lithiumflower Personal Stories 3 01-09-2014 01:44 PM
Uncertain about myself/strange random thoughts Alluk OCD Obsessive Compulsive Disorder Forum 1 03-28-2011 03:38 PM
Your thoughts and feelings myczarina Social Anxiety Forum 1 08-09-2007 01:39 PM

All times are GMT. The time now is 06:56 PM.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.10
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
 
Contact Us Privacy