Were you a planned baby?

Were you a planned baby?

• Total voters

Piece_By_Piece

I never really dared to ask. I'm not sure. But when I talked with my mom and asked her whether she and dad ever actually loved eachother, she didn't say anything but I knew she was thinking "no". So... yeah.

Aparently the only reason my mother got back with my father was because she wanted another baby.
I was the result.

Moa

They tell me I was an exciting surprise and that they were very happy. My mom's doctor had told her she'd never be able to conceive.

But for all the emotional abuse I endured as a child (and still as an adult), I have to think they are lying.

Where's the 'surprise' option? I don't know if I was a welcome or an unwelcome surprise.....just- unexpected very.

My parents already had a two year old and a one year old when I was born. I can't imagine my mother was enthused at the prospect of having 3 under 3yrs.

I never showed up on a pregnancy test. My mother went to the doctor every month for six months and told him she was pregnant and every month for 6 months he sent her home telling her she certainly was not but maybe was suffering from post partum depression, that she was obsessing, he refused to order a scan because it was unneccesary.

Eventually my mother quietly organised a private scan and they told her, yes 6 months pregnant.

3 months later she brought me into her g.p.s surgery and asked for her file.

hahaha

DeadmanWalking

My older brother wasn supposed to be the final one, but then I came along, so, yeah, I'm a surprise alright. However, I'm tempted to believe that I am an unwelcome surprise due to how I've been spoken to and treated by my family and others.

this_portrait

Nope, I was an accident, but I guess I got lucky, because both of my parents decided to take the responsibility and take care of me anyway. I can't say the same for a lot of other parents in the same situation.

KnuffleBunny

Welcome surprise. My parents tried to have a kid for seven years. Due to reasons they would not share with me, it was very hard to have a baby, so when finally my mom became pregnant from a second honeymoon, she called my dad at the office to tell him and everyone cheered.

My son, however, was NOT a planned baby. I was confused about my feelings with it as it was so sudden and I had just gotten out of a weird/bad situation, but quickly I adjusted and was happy to have him, though maybe not as much as I should have been. But I love my son, and if something happened to him I would be very upset.

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
I think my parents had my name picked out before they were even married. I was as planned as planned could be. My mom wanted four children but after my sister (third) they decided that was enough.

MikeyC

My brother and me were both planned. My parents wanted up to 6 kids, but my mum couldn't have more than 2.

My son, however, was NOT a planned baby. I was confused about my feelings with it as it was so sudden and I had just gotten out of a weird/bad situation, but quickly I adjusted and was happy to have him, though maybe not as much as I should have been. But I love my son, and if something happened to him I would be very upset.
This is good. It's not always the best situation but I'm glad you adjusted. :)

Silatuyok

My parents planned to have 10 kids. I was the eighth and I guess I broke the mold, 'cause that's all they got. :)

EDIT: I guess I should say my parents were HOPING to have ten kids, because they were staunchly against family planning.

MikeyC

My parents planned to have 10 kids. I was the eighth and I guess I broke the mold, 'cause that's all they got. :)

EDIT: I guess I should say my parents were HOPING to have ten kids, because they were staunchly against family planning.
Octomum? ;)

That's a lot of brothers and sisters. How close is your family? From what I remember, you all get along quite well. In a family of your size, it would make life a lot easier if everyone got along.

I also remember you saying you mentioning you celebrate birthdays all month? Does that mean it's a non-stop party central at your place? ::p:

Silatuyok

Octomum? ;)

That's a lot of brothers and sisters. How close is your family? From what I remember, you all get along quite well. In a family of your size, it would make life a lot easier if everyone got along.

I also remember you saying you mentioning you celebrate birthdays all month? Does that mean it's a non-stop party central at your place? ::p:

Hahaha. Yes, most of us are pretty close, which is great because none of us have very many friends. ::p: But we still do the typical sibling thing where we get on each others last nerves all the time too.

As for the birthday thing, we each only get one day of celebration with the family; the month-long celebration is really only my personal thing, and an excuse to pamper myself for a month. Even so, we have birthday celebrations almost every other week, it seems. :)

MikeyC

Hahaha. Yes, most of us are pretty close, which is great because none of us have very many friends. ::p: But we still do the typical sibling thing where we get on each others last nerves all the time too.

As for the birthday thing, we each only get one day of celebration with the family; the month-long celebration is really only my personal thing, and an excuse to pamper myself for a month. Even so, we have birthday celebrations almost every other week, it seems. :)
Haha yeah, I suppose. And with so many of you, there can't be many nerves to begin with!

I thought those month-long celebrations were for the whole family. I should come around to one of those big birthday parties. Haha.

aftermidnight

My mom had five miscarriages before having me and then my brother, while my sister was born 14 years before me and before all the miscarriages. That's all my parents wanted: three kids. My birth, and my brother's birth, was a result of fertility medicine being poor in the late 70s and early 80s but considerably better in the late 80s. What makes it all weird is that while I'm only 24, I have two nephews who are now both bigger than me. People mistake us as friends, not as being a generation apart from one another.

MaliceInWickedland

I was. I recently found out though that my mom unintentionally got pregnant about 8 years before she had me and aborted that baby. I'm an only child and it makes me wonder what life would be like if she hadn't had the abortion and I had a sibling. Would I be as antisocial, or antisocial at all? Or what if I had been the one who got aborted? That could have easily been the case.