Were you a planned baby?

Were you a planned baby?

• Total voters

Aletheia

My parents initially planned to have four, I think because they'd both come from families of four. But in the end they decided two was enough.

I was planned, but while my mother was pregnant with me, my father had his first really bad manic episode, and his psychiatrist recommended that my mother abort me, which is a freaky thought. (Sometimes I think it would have been better if she had.)

Nope, I was an accident, but I guess I got lucky, because both of my parents decided to take the responsibility and take care of me anyway. I can't say the same for a lot of other parents in the same situation.

A lot of the married couples I know that are my age got married after the birth of their first (unplanned) child. Happy accidents all round.

The only father I know who didn't stick around was only 21 at the time of the birth, not that that excuses him. Lately he's shown a lot more interest in being with his son (who is now a teenager), and the mother has very mixed feelings: gratitude for the son's sake, getting to know his father, and a great deal of resentment that the father wasn't around for the hardest parts.