Scared of growing up

FriendlyShadow

I feel like I'm going to lose my inner childhood spirit because I'm going to outgrow a lot of things that my family/or people consider babyish. Thing is though, I still want to feel like I am a child. Not immature, but I want to still play games like Pokemon, Hamtaro, Kirby, I still want to watch some kiddie cartoon shows, ect, I'm just afraid of being judged of being a child if I like that. I guess because I grew up with these things in my life for so long, I still feel an attacthment bonding with them again. Do you think I'm too old for still liking these things.

Anxy

Nobody's ever too old for things they like to do! I know lots of adults who actually still play games, and watch cartoons! I won't lie, sometimes I'm ashamed of doing these things, even though I'm still a teenager (but these times aren't what it were before, you can't be ''childish'', you have to wear stupid makeups and just go shopping, nothing else matters... bleh). It's hard, I don't know if I can help, but I don't think you should stop doing what you love to do >.> And, everyone has their inner child inside! And about being scared to grow up, been there, done that. It stopped somehow. I just accepted that I can't really do anything about it, but hey I can still do things I want to do!

Phoenixx

Nobody's ever too old for things they like to do!
^ Yes, exactly this! It is a common feeling to feel nervous/scared about growing up. It's okay and perfectly normal. Don't think though that just because you age you need to shift your perspective and like other things just for the sake of "being an adult." You like the things you do, regardless of your age. I'm 20 and still enjoy cartoons, animated movies, Pokemon games... Heck I still like breaking out the crayons and coloring book sometimes when I'm feeling down. I have an inner child that I never want to lose touch with. I think I'll always like the things I do, regardless of anyone else's criticism.

Section_31

the only way you become too old is if you allow others to make you feel that way!

I just turned 30 and im still into a lot of childish stuff! I collect star trek toy ships and batman action figures!

We don't stop playing because we get old, we get old because we stop playing.

Zod

There's lots of people in the "grown up" world , people who have jobs and a social life, who have a love of "childish" things. I know a lot of people who play and collect games, collect action figures, game memorabilia etc.

But I'll agree that not everyone is open to it, and some people will judge you for it. But you shouldn't be ashamed of your passions. Find some likeminded people who are interested in the same things, and the judgements of outsiders won't matter anymore. They will instead become a point of pride if you are able to embrace your inner nerd without shame, and people will respect you for it.

I personally think this sort of thing doesn't matter. There's more important things to consider when you talk about the fear of growing up, like a fear of responsibility, procrastination, fear of failure, etc. That's a little more important then worrying about Pokemon imo.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
You won't outgrow them if you don't want to. What anyone else say's is not going to affect that. Just do what you enjoy.

jaim38

I put on a poker face to the world but deep inside, I'm still a kid. I still listen to pokemon songs, read manga, watch teenage dramas, etc. And this is gonna sound weird but sometimes I speak to myself like a kid. I put on a childish voice and try to sound cute.

I think it stems from the fact that I didn't have a good childhood so I subconsciously try to make up for it in adulthood. My parents always point out flaws in me but praise my peers. They say things like "be like your friend. She's more mature than you. Copy her." They never encourage me to be my own person. My childhood is also about pinching pennies. I didn't get to wear nice clothes to school and my parents couldn't care less. It really brought down my self esteem.

Last edited:

Flanscho

Things will always change when you grow up. In many ways to the good. You will become independant, if you want to, gain control of your life.

When I was a young teenager, I always thought "there will never be a New Years even when I won't buy fireworks! They're so awesome!!!". Fireworks are still ok, but I don't buy them anymore. Things have changed. I just don't feel like it.

At the same time, I still have board game and role playing game days with friends. And we're roughly 30 years old.

You can live your life the way you want to.

There might only then problems arise, if you refuse to take any responsibilities. If you never want to learn, if you ever refuse to find work, if you stay in your parents flat for the rest of your life. Then problems might arise.

Odo

Banned
There's a difference between nostalgia and immaturity-- I still watch the cartoons I used to watch when I was 8... I don't think they're amazing works of art but it's nice to reminisce. I think it would be kinda messed up if I was really into cartoons being made for 8 year olds today, though... unless it was really well made/smart. I definitely wouldn't consider Finding Nemo or Wall-E just kids movies.

I don't think it's a good thing to spend too much time doing that, though.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I think it would be kinda messed up if I was really into cartoons being made for 8 year olds today, though... unless it was really well made/smart.

Why? There's no age for such things. As long as you are capable of taking decisions, being mature and responsible, you're free to like what you want. Being an adult doesn't mean you have to stop being into some things.

I still like coloring books. Does that mean it's messed up? why? Am I hurting anyone? It's something I find enjoyable and takes my mind away of things, so is drawing, collecting and watching cartoons.

I find kiddish things to be a lot healthier than a bunch of other adult things. I wish adults didn't lose that once they turn a certain age...

jaim38

I find kiddish things to be a lot healthier than a bunch of other adult things. I wish adults didn't lose that once they turn a certain age...

I agree. Many adult things like drinking, smoking, and having sex carries risks. Coloring books, drawing, and watching cartoons sound healthier and even beneficial for the imagination.

Odo

Banned
I agree. Many adult things like drinking, smoking, and having sex carries risks. Coloring books, drawing, and watching cartoons sound healthier and even beneficial for the imagination.

One of the good things about being an adult is that no one is forcing you to drink, smoke or have sex. And plenty of adults draw... the difference is that they're expected to be good at it or actually put effort into doing it well, and they can't just shit something out and have everyone tell them it's wonderful because they're just a kid.

And I really can't imagine feeling inspired by watching cartoons... I mean, these are programs that are specifically designed for brains that haven't even developed yet. I get that you like them but unless you're on drugs I can't imagine them challenging your brain or leading into high-minded discussions about the human condition.

I'm not saying life has to be an ongoing challenge to be the best you can be, but yeah... even if society is messed up, growing up is still a good thing.

theoutsider

I feel like I'm going to lose my inner childhood spirit because I'm going to outgrow a lot of things that my family/or people consider babyish. Thing is though, I still want to feel like I am a child. Not immature, but I want to still play games like Pokemon, Hamtaro, Kirby, I still want to watch some kiddie cartoon shows, ect, I'm just afraid of being judged of being a child if I like that. I guess because I grew up with these things in my life for so long, I still feel an attacthment bonding with them again. Do you think I'm too old for still liking these things.

I'm a "grown up". I still: watch cartoons when I want to, eat cereal for breakfast (and dinner when I feel like it), laugh at slapstick and do so many other "kiddie" things. The beauty of being an adult is you get to decide what you can and can't do to be happy. I wouldn't worry about being judged. Most adults I know still hang on to some things from our childhood, it's one of the secrets to remaining young at heart. :)

MikeyC

I will echo some other sentiments here and say that it's not a bad thing to draw and play Pokemon and whatever else the kids are into these days. :giggle: You can do that while also doing adult things.

As someone who was sheltered growing up, I'm glad to be an adult. It has its challenges, but at least I have opinions and experience with a few things - something I never had as a child.

Kiwong

Keep doing those things I love lions. Being able to feel like a child lost in play is a wonderful thing.

THeCARS1979

Dont let anyone dictate your life. Ive watched cartoons such as the smurfs in recent months or past few years and Im well past childhood. I think if you collect pokemon , some stuff is worth money I think. if you let people tell you what not to do or what to do your going to get aggrivated so just do what you want.