Reasons Against Suicide

Tuukka40

b) I'm an atheist. So: no reincarnation, no heaven, no angels or similiar. Just, nothingness, forever. While that might be good if you are in terrible pain due to an uncurable disease. it's worse than about anything else. I mean... just nothing, forever... It's unimaginable.

Not to be "that guy" but everyone ends up that way anyway.

If you are 100% depressed and have gotten all the help possible while trying anything and everything...then maybe skipping all the suffering is a good option. Everyone ends up with nothing forever either way and everything ends up being irrelevant.

On a side note...I've never really been low enough to seriously consider suicide. Although, the pain of it and suffering of my close friends and family would be my two obstacles.
If I were to do it, I would do some planning to make it as air tight as possible so that I didn't fail.
Suicide on a whim...probably a bad idea.

Section_31

fear of screwing it up and ending up maiming myself irreversibly

Also the scientific theory that if energy is neither created nor destroyed, simply transformed, into ways which may not be completely detectable by currently technology, and further speculation that the electrical impulses in the brain, IE you, our consciousness, is also but another form of energy, and that upon biological death, that energy is theoretically transformed, IE your consciousness continues, thus giving me the thought that any guilt id harbor for doing so may well continue, only in this case, i would have no real way (that i can think of, being in an energy conscious state) of dealing with it or undoing the hurt id cause.

In any case i had no idea of knowing for sure that my suffering would end, and thus decided it was best to not go there. cant look? dont leap.

Last edited:

Lea

Banned
On a side note...I've never really been low enough to seriously consider suicide /QUOTE]

Ugh, I can´t imagine it´s even possible. I am that low most of the time. It´s not that I want to do it, but I am seriously at my wits end and can´t see any other solution.

twiggle

fear of screwing it up and ending up maiming myself irreversibly

Also the scientific theory that if energy is neither created nor destroyed, simply transformed, into ways which may not be completely detectable by currently technology, and further speculation that the electrical impulses in the brain, IE you, our consciousness, is also but another form of energy, and that upon biological death, that energy is theoretically transformed, IE your consciousness continues, thus giving me the thought that any guilt id harbor for doing so may well continue, only in this case, i would have no real way (that i can think of, being in an energy conscious state) of dealing with it or undoing the hurt id cause.

In any case i had no idea of knowing for sure that my suffering would end, and thus decided it was best to not go there. cant look? dont leap.

Yes, I have read somewhere (and its very possibly untrue) that if you're unhappy/have unresolved issues when you die, then these stay within your spirit.

Nobody knows what really happens when we die, or how it really feels, but if the above is true then surely it's best to keep on seeking to attain inner peace.

Nothing to lose...

ShadowCookie

For me, the thought of death is simply terrifying and alone is enough to put me off ever attempting suicide, even though it has certainly crossed my mind more than once.

Also as another poster mentioned, making a mess of it and maiming myself, or experiencing excruciating pain (another fear of mine) are also big put-offs.

Flanscho

Well, sure, in the end, the amount of matter / energy stays the same in the universe (except fluctuations in tiny amounts due to quantum fluctuations and such stuff). The problem is that your being depends on you having a working brain. So if your brain gets transformed into something else (by it rotting in the ground after you got buried, for example), it surely exists on in some other way (like in now being part of some earth worm and bits of soil or something), but since it doesn't work anymore, you are still gone.

vanillabear

obstacle 1: Family and friends because I love them and feel I owe it to them to keep going, I don't want to traumatize or hurt them with the cleanup and/or aftermath of it.
obstacle 2: Aggregate unhappiness levels < fear of the unknown in the afterlife (or lack thereof).. better the devil I know than the devil I don't.
obstacle 3: Need to finish game of thrones.

Saga

I've thought about it once, which scared the shxt outta me... I never thought I'd be the type of person to EVER reach that mindset. ._. I'm not sure what exactly it was. Oh, I remember, I talked things over with my friends irl and realized that they did actually like me. c: I'm sorry you feel like this, by the way, it's not a nice way to feel. >.<

Remus

Staff member
The other thread has been removed as requested by the OP. She is OK but in hospital with her family around her. I hope her situation will improve. I posted this because of people here showing grave concern and compassion.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
The other thread has been removed as requested by the OP. She is OK but in hospital with her family around her. I hope her situation will improve. I posted this because of people here showing grave concern and compassion.
Thank you, Remus. That's good to hear.

Section_31

Thank you remus!!!!!

we were all so worried!. Glad to hear! :)

ImNotMyIllness

Thank you Remus. That's great news! I hope she's feeling better.

Silatuyok

That's a relief. Thank you for letting us know.

Shenmue

Life is the only show in town. So even though it can be a struggle sometimes, I’d rather stay until the end credits. I guess eternal nothingness and the abyss of death is a good reason for me to carry on. I would also miss eating chocolate.