Reasons Against Suicide

A Many Splendored Thing

Fear of death- My human fight or flight system is always set to flight under pressure...

I believe we came into existence once, so it will happen again. Though I would be considered atheist.

So there really isn't anything. But do you want to know how easy it would be to get into a relationship? Just go ask somebody out and they'll say yes or no.

Right now I'm in the mood where nothing seems impossible, but that's very rare. Does anybody else get this feeling of invincibility?

cowboyup

I've had suicidal thoughts.

@ any rate, I've 'talked' myself out of it because I'd hear about all these people who'd come into ER trying to commit suicide and failed miserably. It was a running joke when someone would come into ER and do a half-a** suicide attempt that the doctors and nurses would say, "well damn people if you're gonna do it, get it right"

Gosh, I sure don't want to fail and have the doctor or nurse make fun of me because I couldn't kill myself -- that and end up on 24-48 hr psych eval.

I've had suicidal thoughts.

@ any rate, I've 'talked' myself out of it because I'd hear about all these people who'd come into ER trying to commit suicide and failed miserably. It was a running joke when someone would come into ER and do a half-a** suicide attempt that the doctors and nurses would say, "well damn people if you're gonna do it, get it right"

Gosh, I sure don't want to fail and have the doctor or nurse make fun of me because I couldn't kill myself -- that and end up on 24-48 hr psych eval.

They make fun of them? Am I just being too sensitive, or is that really effed up? God, like it isn't bad enough you're hurting, then people say things like that about you. Talk about kicking someone when they're down. Yeah the patients might not hear it but still. I remember reading about a guy who shot himself in the chest and lived, and he now has some painful condition he has to live with. He said people would say to him, "Aim higher next time." Disgusting.

Last edited:

coyote

Solipsism - if i cease to exist, then the universe also ceases to exist. but if the universe were to cease to exist, then it would no longer cause me pain, so suicide would be unnecessary.

Flanscho

Well, my personal reasons:

a) hurting family and friends. It's not their fault that I got depressed. So hurting them, or in case of my parents: destroying their life, would be a horrible and unfair thing to do. Sure, once I'm dead I couldn't care about that anymore, but I'd still have to realize and be ok with turning their life into a nightmare before I'd commit suicide.

b) I'm an atheist. So: no reincarnation, no heaven, no angels or similiar. Just, nothingness, forever. While that might be good if you are in terrible pain due to an uncurable disease. it's worse than about anything else. I mean... just nothing, forever... It's unimaginable.

c) While I'm alive, there is hope. When I'm dead, there is nothing. As long as I live, things can somehow become better.

cowboyup

They make fun of them? Am I just being too sensitive, or is that really effed up? God, like it isn't bad enough you're hurting, then people say things like that about you. Talk about kicking someone when they're down. Yeah the patients might not hear it but still. I remember reading about a guy who shot himself in the chest and lived, and he now has some painful condition he has to live with. He said people would say to him, "Aim higher next time." Disgusting.

I'm serious....that is the honest truth!
You're not being overly sensitive, it is effed up.

Finally

If you know that there will be nothing positive in the future it means you can see into the future. So if you can see into the future why don't you use that ability to change your future. Ultimately you have no idea what will happen tomorrow or next week or in 20 years. I can assure you your future will be incredible based on the fact that this reality we live in is the most incredible thing known to man and yet we don't have the slightest clue what it really is.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I stopped seeing suicide as an option when I realized that there is 3-4 people around me who actually needs to know that I'm ok to be fine themselves. Even though at some point in my life I thought I was such a huge burden that I was convinced it would be better for them if I was dead, I realize now how much pain it would have caused. Obviously, when you hit rock bottom, you either don't believe that or you just don't care anymore.

PhantomPod

My dog gives me reason to live.

Also, my TV shows make me happy. Like, I could never kill myself because I'm so eager to see what happens on the next episodes of my favorite TV shows.

itisgoingtobefine

My opinion: The Human Body. It appears to be made to resist death. Even though it will die, it also desires to create more similar to it. Most people can use the their minds to reason with it. We can reason both forward and backwards. I think a person who commits suicide has often lost their mind or they feel so badly about life that they began using logic in reverse. Apparently there is still a part of me holding onto "hope". A hope that somehow things will get better.

ImNotMyIllness

I have a relative that does nothing all day but watch TV. He's perfectly content like that...........I just don't get it? To make matters worse, he watches nothing but reruns.

Actually, I think he would be content just staring at a wall.........I don't know.

rosewood

i had planned it out completely in late 2006. i was going to get a one way ride to the side of a bridge over a rushing river. shortly before i was about to leave, i was pacing back and forth in the foyer of my home my mind wandering all over the place in a very dark mood. without warning, in my mind, an emmense light poured into the top of my head and filled my whole mind. simultaneously, i experienced a joy and peace wash over me as i "watched" a full color and gorgeus sound "movie" in the forefront of my mind. i blinked, shook my head, it wouldnt go away and it wouldnt stop. it was a very clear spiritual message, that indicated that the concept of religion that humanity uses to call God is so tiny and trite as to be laughable, that we are a piece of the Infinite and we are forever connected to this Infinite by our Souls. no words were spoken, just the sound of music, of the universe. that is what stopped me then, and when the darkness starts to try to get ahold of me now, i focus my mind on those images to get me through.

my twin is an atheist, so its cool if you laugh at me, it seems pretty weird i know.

ImNotMyIllness

i had planned it out completely in late 2006. i was going to get a one way ride to the side of a bridge over a rushing river. shortly before i was about to leave, i was pacing back and forth in the foyer of my home my mind wandering all over the place in a very dark mood. without warning, in my mind, an emmense light poured into the top of my head and filled my whole mind. simultaneously, i experienced a joy and peace wash over me as i "watched" a full color and gorgeus sound "movie" in the forefront of my mind. i blinked, shook my head, it wouldnt go away and it wouldnt stop. it was a very clear spiritual message, that indicated that the concept of religion that humanity uses to call God is so tiny and trite as to be laughable, that we are a piece of the Infinite and we are forever connected to this Infinite by our Souls. no words were spoken, just the sound of music, of the universe. that is what stopped me then, and when the darkness starts to try to get ahold of me now, i focus my mind on those images to get me through.

my twin is an atheist, so its cool if you laugh at me, it seems pretty weird i know.

I'm more on the agnostic side. My religious beliefs and (lack of) are all over the place. That sounds cool. I'm glad you have something powerful to hold onto.

i've heard of a very similar account to this by someone very close to me. Your post gave me shivers down my spine and made my hair stand on end. this person wasn't going to kill themselves though, but everything else is dead accurate, with the light they also experienced vivid colours of lapis blue hues. They are not religious by the true sense but believe in being as one with the great devine or universe, and that it will guide/nurture you.