Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

MikeyC

My brother knew one of the people in that plane that was shot down over Ukraine. He worked at a nearby school as a deputy principal. It was his retirement holiday. How sad.

Lavinialuna

yet another use for coconut oil-natural sunscreen

Need to buy in 50 gallon drums lol

Love the stuff too, even use it to make my own deodorant!:thumbup:
I have fallen in love with castor oil too. It is amazing for my face. Seems to work the best for me. Oddly it helps with muscle aches too. Interesting stuff!

I have fallen in love with castor oil too. It is amazing for my face. Seems to work the best for me. Oddly it helps with muscle aches too. Interesting stuff!

Home made deodorant? Does it work? Do you think the aluminium in store bought deodorant is harmful? I'm curious to hear your perspective as I've been reading up on that quite a bit lately and i'd like to find a good alternative that won't leave me smelling like a hippie commune by the time i get home from work.

Lavinialuna

Home made deodorant? Does it work? Do you think the aluminium in store bought deodorant is harmful? I'm curious to hear your perspective as I've been reading up on that quite a bit lately and i'd like to find a good alternative that won't leave me smelling like a hippie commune by the time i get home from work.
I do worry about chemicals in all things that cross my body, and I do worry about the aluminum, but it was actually MSG that got me to start me on my journey to making my own. I have a serious sensitivity to MSG and perfumes etc. Surprising to find MSG in deodorant but it's there!
Here is the link to the kind that I make DIY: Coconut Oil Deodorant - Cadry's Kitchen
It's so easy to make with just 5 T. coconut oil (melt it), 1/2 cup corn starch and 1/2 cup baking soda. The people on the blog put theirs in a jar but I pour mine into an old deodorant applicator and put it in the freezer for half hour to set. In the winter it stays solid, in the summer I keep mine in the fridge (melts at 76 degrees)
Sometimes I put a few drops of essential oils in mine if I want it to smell nice, but it isn't needed.
Here is the lowdown on how it works. They say it takes some people's bodies longer to acclimate to it and they go through an adjustment period. I never did. As long as I wash once a day (antibacterial deodorant soap) and apply the deodorant I have never noticed smelling bad or had anyone else say I smelled bad, and believe me, I checked often as I was expecting it to fail.
If you put on too much it can look a tad globby. I always double check to wipe off excess if I'm going sleeveless. It can rarely make marks in the armpits of your clothes, but I have only noticed it once after using the deodorant for a year and having the shirt just as long. Some homemade shout got rid of it without a problem.
The biggest difference that I found between homemade and store bought was that I actually sweat, and I wasn't used to that. It isn't an antiperspirant, so there is actual perspiration. I've never really been one to sweat much so for me it was a minor thing, but I can see how it might be hard for someone who sweats a lot, or works in a bakery or something like that.
I am glad I am using something natural. If I do end up with breast cancer or Alzheimer's at least I can say I did what I could. I don't think deodorant is the smoking gun in any cancer or disease, but I do think there is a cumulative effect on the body when we barrage ourselves with chemicals from beauty products, pesticides, cleaning junk, medications and food additives. I'm sure it adds up, or at the very least lowers our defenses as far as our immune system is concerned.
Let me know if you try it!

Last edited:
When my Pepsi Max consumption goes above 1.8L per day. Paranoia ensues.
^Have you tried making half of your daily consumption Pepsi caffeine free? So you still have the sensation of drinking it but your consuming less caffeine, so you don't feel as deprived as you would if you tried to cut it right out.

Kind of like the Nicotine patches and sucking on lolly pops help when trying to cut down on smoking.

I was trying to cut down on my daily sugar intake so I started incorporating Diet Pepsi caffeine free. It worked for me, would it be worth a try for you?

http://bizweekpopularity.com/wp-con...ree---soda-soft-drinks---grocery-btoes9iv.jpg

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
^Have you tried making half of your daily consumption Pepsi caffeine free? So you still have the sensation of drinking it but your consuming less caffeine, so you don't feel as deprived as you would if you tried to cut it right out.

Kind of like the Nicotine patches and sucking on lolly pops help when trying to cut down on smoking.

I was trying to cut down on my daily sugar intake so I started incorporating Diet Pepsi caffeine free. It worked for me, would it be worth a try for you?

http://bizweekpopularity.com/wp-con...ree---soda-soft-drinks---grocery-btoes9iv.jpg

Yeah, caffeine is a blessing and a curse. It's always a thin line for me too.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Why is it too much tae ask... Och, forget it! It doesnae matter. Naebuddy gies a f**k anymore, so nae point moanin' aboot trivial pish that irritates me on an almost daily basis. :kickingmyself:

MollyBeGood

I just spent 2.5 hours in the hottest brightest part of the sun day here, at a high altitude with fair skin and got ZERO burn form using just coconut oil! I am getting a nice even tan which I wold never get before and no harmful chemicals from store bought sunscreen. I am sold on coconut oil for life.

Oh yeah I made deodorant with it too, and same for toothpaste. I put it on my hair and it's excellent for dry hair issues.

Oh and it's great to fry pancakes in and as a butter replacement.

Lavinialuna

I just spent 2.5 hours in the hottest brightest part of the sun day here, at a high altitude with fair skin and got ZERO burn form using just coconut oil! I am getting a nice even tan which I wold never get before and no harmful chemicals from store bought sunscreen. I am sold on coconut oil for life.

Oh yeah I made deodorant with it too, and same for toothpaste. I put it on my hair and it's excellent for dry hair issues.

Oh and it's great to fry pancakes in and as a butter replacement.

I've never used it as sunscreen but I am about to start! Thanks for the tip.
I like to bake with it too, it's great stuff :)

fate12321

Thinking a lot about my future lately. I'm planing to take a year off from college to cool my head down a little. In the mean time I'll try to find a job and work my @$$ of and save as much money as possible. Been thinking about moving. Also been thinking about joining the Navy...