Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

WeirdyMcGee

Re: again

Haha Yup.

To answer your other question, I think mismeek is half Native American :). Don't know about anyone else on here though, but there might be.

mismeek can't be the only one-- that seems statistically improbable, unfortunately. ><
Depression for one, is supposedly very common in native communities.

I can't say anything since I'm half Metis but technically 'Metis' isn't full native, either. We're mixed breeds.
I *do* recall from all sorts of pamphlets in family mental health that addictions and depression are extremely common for those of native descent.

I do worry about chemicals in all things that cross my body, and I do worry about the aluminum, but it was actually MSG that got me to start me on my journey to making my own. I have a serious sensitivity to MSG and perfumes etc. Surprising to find MSG in deodorant but it's there!
Here is the link to the kind that I make DIY: Coconut Oil Deodorant - Cadry's Kitchen
It's so easy to make with just 5 T. coconut oil (melt it), 1/2 cup corn starch and 1/2 cup baking soda. The people on the blog put theirs in a jar but I pour mine into an old deodorant applicator and put it in the freezer for half hour to set. In the winter it stays solid, in the summer I keep mine in the fridge (melts at 76 degrees)
Sometimes I put a few drops of essential oils in mine if I want it to smell nice, but it isn't needed.
Here is the lowdown on how it works. They say it takes some people's bodies longer to acclimate to it and they go through an adjustment period. I never did. As long as I wash once a day (antibacterial deodorant soap) and apply the deodorant I have never noticed smelling bad or had anyone else say I smelled bad, and believe me, I checked often as I was expecting it to fail.
If you put on too much it can look a tad globby. I always double check to wipe off excess if I'm going sleeveless. It can rarely make marks in the armpits of your clothes, but I have only noticed it once after using the deodorant for a year and having the shirt just as long. Some homemade shout got rid of it without a problem.
The biggest difference that I found between homemade and store bought was that I actually sweat, and I wasn't used to that. It isn't an antiperspirant, so there is actual perspiration. I've never really been one to sweat much so for me it was a minor thing, but I can see how it might be hard for someone who sweats a lot, or works in a bakery or something like that.
I am glad I am using something natural. If I do end up with breast cancer or Alzheimer's at least I can say I did what I could. I don't think deodorant is the smoking gun in any cancer or disease, but I do think there is a cumulative effect on the body when we barrage ourselves with chemicals from beauty products, pesticides, cleaning junk, medications and food additives. I'm sure it adds up, or at the very least lowers our defenses as far as our immune system is concerned.
Let me know if you try it!

I'm planning on trying that. I'll give it a try. Can't hurt anything, right? I appreciate the link. I'll let you know how it goes. And I normally use Dial or Coast soap, especially in hot weather. Feels cleaner to me, the deodorant soaps.

hoddesdon

Out of curiosity, is anyone here Native American? And I don't mean 1/8th or whatever. Like, half- or full-blooded?

Yes - truffleshuffle (see below)

I too had a therapist of a sort I get my medical needs treated at a cherokee indian clinic since I am native american and they offer free counsling but it was just plane bad I am surre there other clinics have better ones mine wass just bad.When I first went they asked me about some of my problmes but after that we never really talked about anything or my problmes or how to try and help fix them. I stopped going after a few sessions.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Perhaps ah'd be better off jist not bein' around people... Since I just make others uncomfortable and akward. Aye, mibbe that fur the best... Jist leave me alone.

jaim38

Feeling terrible today. I spent half of last night awake trying to control my thoughts. I had a hard time falling asleep. I pretty much lost control of my thoughts and started thinking of bad stuff which I felt remorseful over. I will post more about this later. I'm nervous about driving today out of fear that soemthing bad might happen.

mismeek can't be the only one-- that seems statistically improbable, unfortunately. ><
Depression for one, is supposedly very common in native communities.

I can't say anything since I'm half Metis but technically 'Metis' isn't full native, either. We're mixed breeds.
I *do* recall from all sorts of pamphlets in family mental health that addictions and depression are extremely common for those of native descent.

Yes - truffleshuffle (see below)

Thanks for the replies :)

Most non-Native Americans know pathetically little about native cultures, and (unsurprisingly) often say ignorant things when they meet a native person or they unwittingly behave in racist ways (like wearing Indian Halloween costumes or imitations of traditional clothing). It's so unconscious so much of the time. We've finally made progress with racism towards other minorities, but racism towards Native Americans is rarely discussed. It's pretty sickening.

I'm sad to say I had to learn this because I wasn't even much aware of modern Native Americans at all until we did a unit on them in a literature class. Reading actual native authors (not phonies) made me realize how little I knew. Everyone should know more, at least enough to have some respect and not ask questions like, "Can I touch your hair? Can you say something in your language?" or "I'm so sorry what we whites did to you, it was awful."

Last edited:

Lavinialuna

Thanks for the replies :)

"Can I touch your hair? Can you say something in your language?" or "I'm so sorry what we whites did to you, it was awful."

Just out of sincere curiosity, why is asking questions about a person's culture racist?:question: I personally am fascinated by other cultures and I ask questions because I appreciate and admire them. I don't want to say something stupid to someone and cause them to feel bad :sad: In fact I remember talking to a native american about 20 years ago and we were talking about how they were wronged. I personally feel so much empathy for them that I did say I was sorry it happened, and I really was sincere! I hope he didn't think I was being disrespectful.
It sucks because I myself don't ever mean to disrespect anyone but what is even safe for small talk? Literally ANYTHING could be a trigger for negative emotions.

Graeme1988

Ah wish ma mum wouldnae criticise ma appearance aw the time.
Ah mean, thanks fur makin' me feel mair self-conscious aboot ma smile than ah wuz previously. Ah really needed that, so ah did. :kickingmyself:

Just out of sincere curiosity, why is asking questions about a person's culture racist?:question: I personally am fascinated by other cultures and I ask questions because I appreciate and admire them. I don't want to say something stupid to someone and cause them to feel bad :sad: In fact I remember talking to a native american about 20 years ago and we were talking about how they were wronged. I personally feel so much empathy for them that I did say I was sorry it happened, and I really was sincere! I hope he didn't think I was being disrespectful.
It sucks because I myself don't ever mean to disrespect anyone but what is even safe for small talk? Literally ANYTHING could be a trigger for negative emotions.

I've had those same thoughts myself. I think plenty of people are simply curious or admire a culture, but I think minorities get asked SO OFTEN that they get sick of it. Also, people stereotype them with their questions sometimes and that would get old. It's a tricky thing.

Graeme1988

Sorry if I'm butting in here... But I don't think askin' a question about a person culture is racist at all. As long as it's being asked out of geniune curiousity. I think what Opaline means by those example she gave is that asking a silly, immature question or treating the subject insenstively can be see a disrespectful to that culture.

Though, huvin' said that, asking to be taught how to say something in another person's language is always awesome. :)

Lavinialuna

I've had those same thoughts myself. I think plenty of people are simply curious or admire a culture, but I think minorities get asked SO OFTEN that they get sick of it. Also, people stereotype them with their questions sometimes and that would get old. It's a tricky thing.

Sorry if I'm butting in here... But I don't think askin' a question about a person culture is racist at all. As long as it's being asked out of geniune curiousity. I think what Opaline means by those example she gave is that asking a silly, immature question or treating the subject insenstively can be see a disrespectful to that culture.

Though, huvin' said that, asking to be taught how to say something in another person's language is always awesome. :)

Thanks guys :)

Ah wish ma mum wouldnae criticise ma appearance aw the time.
Ah mean, thanks fur makin' me feel mair self-conscious aboot ma smile than ah wuz previously. Ah really needed that, so ah did. :kickingmyself:
^It really saddens me when parents criticize their own offspring's appearance.:sad: :thumbdown:
How can a parent run down someone's physical appearance they were born with and is beyond their ability to change.
Why can't parents acknowledge their children are what they created! :eek:h:
Sorry you are stuck with one of those selfish parents that do this, Graeme.

Graeme1988

^It really saddens me when parents criticize their own offspring's appearance.:sad: :thumbdown:
How can a parent run down someone's physical appearance they were born with and is beyond their ability to change.
Why can't parents acknowledge their children are what they created! :eek:h:
Sorry you are stuck with one of those selfish parents that do this, Graeme.

Well, ma mum can quite critical and negative in general. :thumbdown: