Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

Phoenixx

Best, Worst Learning Tips: Flash Cards Are Good, Highlighting Is Bad | TIME.com

The article above rated learning techniques. Highlighting/underlining was considered a poor learning technique while flashcards are rated as more effective. I agree with the results; I have used both techniques before, and I certainly retained more information using flashcards. However, creating flashcards is very time-consuming. In high school, I used to spend hours creating flash cards for only a few chapters of text! I used so many flashcards that I ran out and had to buy new ones. Eventually, someone came up to me and asked to see my flashcards, so I gave them to her. She looked at me and said, "you don't have to do that."

I completely disagree with their conclusion. After I ditched the flashcards, I used some of the techniques mentioned above - mental imagery, mnemonics, self explanation - and found them to be very effective.

Flashcards are not effective for preparing for a very detailed test. In one of my classes, we had to take a 100 MC midterm. Does this mean I have to make at least 100 flashcards for each question that could possibly appear on the test?
^ I'm guessing by this article, they only studied the effectiveness of highlighting and underlining with only one shade, whether it be a black or blue ink pen or a single yellow highlighter. While I can see how that would not be very effective at all, using multi-colored highlighters for my notes, and writing other side-notes in different colored ink has been one of the best ways for me to study.

Flash cards have never been that effective for me. Not the digital flash cards or making my own out of white notecards anyway. Using a pack of multi-colored notecards and making flash cards from there was better for me. I also agree with you about using mental imagery and such -- those are highly effective for me as well. Then again, I am a highly visual person, so seeing and reading material and information is the best way for me to learn and memorize.

I think a lot of this though, determining what is "best" and "worst" really depends on learning style. There are people who learn better through not even taking any notes at all and just listen to lectures or even record them and listen to them repeatedly. Those kind of people amaze me. I can't listen to lectures at all. Everything basically goes in one ear and out the other.

Srijita52

I can't shake the feeling that no one cares that I'm there which is partially true but part of it is my own fault. People don't "see" me because I'm always trying to hide, either by not taking any initiative or talking half initiative. If I want to go somewhere I have to get myself together and stop being so passive. Its weird how I understand all of this logically but when it comes to really doing something it seems like the hardest thing in the world.

I feel desperate to unload this guilt I'm feeling. I was forced to make some selfish decisions for self preservation, and I'm starting to fear the possible consequences it may have.

If only there was someone with the proper perspective from whom I could ask a second opinion that isn't meant to just make me feel better. Someone I could rely on to be honest and as comforting as they could be in the given situation. But as is always the case, I'm on my own to deal with it.

I'm at a loss.

Ithior

Best, Worst Learning Tips: Flash Cards Are Good, Highlighting Is Bad | TIME.com

The article above rated learning techniques. Highlighting/underlining was considered a poor learning technique while flashcards are rated as more effective. I agree with the results; I have used both techniques before, and I certainly retained more information using flashcards. However, creating flashcards is very time-consuming. In high school, I used to spend hours creating flash cards for only a few chapters of text! I used so many flashcards that I ran out and had to buy new ones. Eventually, someone came up to me and asked to see my flashcards, so I gave them to her. She looked at me and said, "you don't have to do that."

I completely disagree with their conclusion. After I ditched the flashcards, I used some of the techniques mentioned above - mental imagery, mnemonics, self explanation - and found them to be very effective.

Flashcards are not effective for preparing for a very detailed test. In one of my classes, we had to take a 100 MC midterm. Does this mean I have to make at least 100 flashcards for each question that could possibly appear on the test?

At least you could buy your flashcards. I wanted to try it once some years ago but I had to cut the paper myself and all that and I gave up, I'd waste too much time doing that. My sister did it last year and she had to do the same, so I'm guessing there's still no flashcard things being sold over here.

Either way, I used the flashcard method for an exam (using a tablet; I guess nowadays it's not as time consuming as it used to be, but I prefer using paper) because I had to memorize tons of ratios and formulas (at least 50). I think it worked, otherwise I'd never memorize the formulas. For more text-based exams I wouldn't go for that method though. Mental imagery and self explanation work fine but I can't really get around mnemonics.

springk

I often wonder if the personality test are of any value. My personality as it is now is the result of some factors like, the era in which i am born,place,culture etc. So what if i was born in some other place, lived in a different culture or society. I don't think i would have been the same person i am now. May be i would have been an extrovert person with skill to climb mountains or a surgeon.

My present is the result of my past. My personality is the result of various factors, many of which beyond my control. So what i am now is not exactly who i am. I am not bound by what my nationality is, or what i studied in college, or what believes i have. One's personality is not the absolute truth. Its just what my destiny/luck/coincidence(i am using these words for the lack of the exact term ) has decided to put on me.
* my thoughts*

jaim38

Just woke up from a bad nightmare. I dreamt I was back in biology lab class and getting berated and laughed at by other students. The teacher was constantly picking on me and even punished me in front of other people. I accidentally wrote my mom's name on a piece of paper that I had to turn in so she got angry and punished me. But for some reason, people were clapping. At one point, they were laughing.

In real life, I had biology lab class many years ago. The students, the TA(s), and the teacher didn't like me. I was referred to as "the stupid girl." Some students would look at me and tell other students "I don't like her" as I walk pass. One of the TAs actually embarassed me in front of the whole class. I walked up to him to turn in my assignment and as I walked back to my seat, he said out loud, "that's the girl that everybody hates" or "that's the girl that nobody likes", can't remmeber the exact words. And I could feel students looking at me like I was a freak. Sometimes, I received lower than usual grades on my lab reports. And during finals exam time, when I looked up at the whiteboard to see some formulas written by the teacher for the entire class, he told another TA "she's cheating". He accused me of cheating without any evidence to back him up! And when I turned in my final to the TAs, he was groaning like, "Huhhhhhhhhh..." and I could tell the other TAs all knew what was going on.

The teacher didn't like me either. She must have thought I was a trouble student because both the students and TA(s) didn't like me. One time, she called me out for something I didn't do but thankfully, 2 other students helped stood up for me. And one time during lecture, she was talking about career stuff. She was saying how working in labs is hard and if you don't do a good job, you get fired. Then she looked at me and started talking about how you need good grades to be a doctor and that if you don't, might as well consider changing career fields. I thought she was talking to me.

I made an A in biology lab but a C or D in Organic Chemistry. A few years later, I changed career fields. Health care isn't for me.

Ithior

I often wonder if the personality test are of any value. My personality as it is now is the result of some factors like, the era in which i am born,place,culture etc. So what if i was born in some other place, lived in a different culture or society. I don't think i would have been the same person i am now. May be i would have been an extrovert person with skill to climb mountains or a surgeon.

My present is the result of my past. My personality is the result of various factors, many of which beyond my control. So what i am now is not exactly who i am. I am not bound by what my nationality is, or what i studied in college, or what believes i have. One's personality is not the absolute truth. Its just what my destiny/luck/coincidence(i am using these words for the lack of the exact term ) has decided to put on me.
* my thoughts*

What if you stripped away all those factors? Can you even imagine how that would be like? Taking them all away would be a factor in itself.

Isn't the way you react to these factors part of your personality? Thus the effect those factors have on you are repercussions of your own personality.
The way you think right now is influenced by what happened before, but what about the first time you thought? What factors could have possibly have influenced it and in what way? I can't really pinpoint when your first thought occurs since that's not really my area, but I'm guessing it can only be influenced by your personality. Then your personality develops with a mix of your thoughts and factors around you.

My point is that sure, your personality right now could've been different depending on the circumstances of your life. But I believe that the core would always be very similar.

This is my amateur opinion on something I never studied so don't take it as scientific or anything.

Flanscho

* my thoughts*

Well, in my opinion, you are who you are as a result of all information your brain picked up during your lifetime and how it processe it. So to some degree it's genetics (how your brain processes the stuff) and the rest is influence from outside.
The result is you. Who you are. Who you really are. There is no other "you". It's just the way you are. There is no destiny, and luck and coincidence are simply ways to describe results of processes which are too complicated for us to understand or about which we don't have all information.

awkwardamanda

Interesting. Looks like a thread I posted in last week has disappeared. So much for checking for updates. Do people just ask for their threads to be deleted because others disagree and they get embarrassed or something?

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Ah should try writin' comedy...? Eh, really? Well ah would - if ah was actually funny - but am no' funny. So, there ye go. Get it up ye![/I]

Hud a weird as f**k lucid dream last night... :confused:

Interesting. Looks like a thread I posted in last week has disappeared. So much for checking for updates. Do people just ask for their threads to be deleted because others disagree and they get embarrassed or something?
Ask the poster above you. No, i think maybe some member(s) "report" it to a moderator, who then checks thread/post against the forum rules, and only if it's not strictly adhering to those rules is the thread (or post) deleted. No warning of course!. If you're lucky you can still find some of your thread in google's cache...

dottie

coffee...

my mom makes horrible coffee. not saying this to be rude, it's just true! it is the lightest blend of the cheapest, on-sale-est generic walmart brand coffee, brewed as weak as possible. it is like drinking dirty dishwater! it was in the pot this morning so i made do and had a cup.

huge meh.

so, i got out my secret stash and brewed some peet's. sip sip... deeee-licious. there is something about this coffee... not just the flavor... but about halfway through the cup this jolt of happiness surges through my heart... i guess that is the caffeine, but why doesn't it happen with other coffee brands? there is this warm, joyous flush that is specific to this coffee... AND I LOVE IT.

awkwardamanda

Ask the poster above you. No, i think maybe some member(s) "report" it to a moderator, who then checks thread/post against the forum rules, and only if it's not strictly adhering to those rules is the thread (or post) deleted. No warning of course!. If you're lucky you can still find some of your thread in google's cache...

Well, the earlier part of said thread didn't seem to be against the rules. Usually when a specific post breaks a rule, it might get deleted, but not the whole thread. Or it gets locked if things get out of hand. I just find it annoying that I can't see where the discussion went - apparently into thin air. A Google search turns up the post but clicking it gives me an invalid thread message.

so, i got out my secret stash and brewed some peet's. sip sip... deeee-licious. there is something about this coffee... not just the flavor... but about halfway through the cup this jolt of happiness surges through my heart... i guess that is the caffeine, but why doesn't it happen with other coffee brands? there is this warm, joyous flush that is specific to this coffee... AND I LOVE IT.

Oh? I was considering buying Peet's a while back, but I settled on Eight O'Clock because Peet's is so damn expensive. I'll have to get some. I like their in-store drinks. The matcha latte is yum.

The dogs greet me, I descend
into their world of fur and tongues
and then my wife and I embrace
as if we’d just closed the door
in a motel, our two girls slip in
between us and we’re all saying
each other’s names and the dogs
Buster and Sundown are on their hind legs,
people-style, seeking more love.
I’ve come home wanting to touch
everyone, everything; usually I turn
the key and they’re all lost
in food or homework, even the dogs
are preoccupied with themselves,
I desire only to ease
back in, the mail, a drink,
but tonight the body-hungers have sent out
their long-range signals
or love itself has risen
from its squalor of neglect.
Everytime the kids turn their backs
I touch my wife’s breasts
and when she checks the dinner
the unfriendly cat on the dishwasher
wants to rub heads, starts to speak
with his little motor and violin–
everything, everyone is intelligible
in the language of touch,
and we sit down to dinner inarticulate
as blood, all difficulties postponed
because the weather is so good.

-Stephen Dunn, "I Come Home Wanting to Touch Everyone"

^Poem I might read tomorrow in class. I really like it.