Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

jaim38

Today my mom told me she will try to schedule a dentist appointment for me, but I told her to hold off on it because I want to compare costs. Afterwards I was flooded with a bunch of bad memories from the past.

When I was in high school, I had braces so for a 1-2 years, I had to go visit my orthodontist for a monthly checkup. During one of the checkups, she discovered several cavities to my surprise and told me to get them fixed. I nodded my head and said "ok" but never told my parents about them. I knew my dad would get mad at me for wasting money. Plus he told me cavities would magically "disappear" on their own so I was hoping for that. So during subsequent dental visits, my orthodontist kept pointing out the cavities with me and I would lie to her and said yes I'll get them fixed. Well, after several months, she got frustrated with me so she pulled my mom aside and told her.

Right after, my mom scheduled an appointment with a dentist for me. She said a friend recommended this dentist who could give us a lower rate. When we went to the dentist, my mom was all smiles and talking sweet. Then, she started bargaining with the dentist. She said something like "if my daughter gets all her cavities fixed here, I will pay $50 for each cavity." The dentist was like "no, that's too low..." And finally, the dentist grabbed my hand and asked me to tell my mom to stop bargaining with her, please. It was very embarrassing. I ended up having 1 cavity fixed.

On the ride home, I asked my mom why she bargained with the dentist. She said her friend (who recommended this dentist to her) did it, she begged the dentist for a lower rate and succeeded. So she was hoping for the same outcome for me. Afterwards, I thought to myself, "H***, I'm not going to the dentist anymore. I'll just wait for the cavities to disappear on their own."

Result? After 1 root canal and 4-5 fillings later, I finally realized how costly cavities can be if left untreated. That's what me and my parents get for being cheap. So what I'm saying is, if you got a cavity, go get it fixed ASAP! Don't wait until it's too late - root canal therapy is expensive and NOT fun.

planemo

Felicitations, malefactors!?

I am endeavoring to misappropriate the formulary for the preparation of affordable comestibles.

Who will join me!?

Ithior

Result? After 1 root canal and 4-5 fillings later, I finally realized how costly cavities can be if left untreated. That's what me and my parents get for being cheap. So what I'm saying is, if you got a cavity, go get it fixed ASAP! Don't wait until it's too late - root canal therapy is expensive and NOT fun.

I had some troubles with dentists in the past. I would go to a dentist every 2 months with my sister (most of the time she didn't have to treat anything though) and mom, and the guy always treated me badly and never fixed the teeth that were bothering me. I eventually stopped going because I felt like I was subjecting myself to pain without getting anything good out of it, while my mum kept paying for it.

Recently I woke up from an afternoon nap with a terrible pain in one tooth. The pain didn't go away and after a week I finally went to a dentist, but a different one this time. It was actually my cousin. She treated me nicely. Had to do a root canal too. Since I always had a lot of problems with my teeth since I was little (never had to wear braces though) I kept going every week to make sure this one was ok and to take care of the others.

The root canal therapy may be expensive but I didn't find it a painful experience since my cousin was very careful and considerate about how I was feeling, if it was hurting, etc (the other one would tell me to shut up and continue to hurt me).

So I guess my case is different from yours: my mum didn't seem to care about me not brushing my teeth when I was very young. Still, my mum was willing to pay for a dentist but she didn't care about the quality of the service. That made me afraid of going to the dentist and I eventually stopped going before having all my teeth treated. Now I'm in the same position as you.

Xervello

Confused, upset and experiencing emotional vertigo.

I just got bleeped on by someone I treated like a saint. Which, for them I think, is their form of closure. Meaning that I may never get an explanation as to why they said what they did. So I just have to swallow this dirt they shoved down my throat.

Perhaps this will make them less saint-like in my eyes and I can finally move on. I doubt it. But what the hell, lol. In the immortal words of Gob Bluth, "C'MON!"

:idontknow:

MollyBeGood

all these dental nightmares. I have tooth pain from some cracked molars that the dentist worked on a few yrs ago and now I have an abscess and the tooth feels loose and my gums hurt a lot. I cringe at the idea of going to the dentist again though. Maybe I will just get some pliers and pull it myself? jk.

Ithior-I would be mortified if the dentist told me to "Shut up"! That is abuse. Not acceptable. Plus the a-hole didn't even do a good job, sounds like he should be out of business by now from law suits.

Ithior

Going out tonight with my friends to a concert sort of thing. I'll be arriving there by 10pm. The concert ends up by 1am but the night is just starting at that point. I think my friends want to stay there until the morning (like 8am).
My problem is that I'm sort of pee shy and as such most of the times I can't use the portable toilets in that place (I've been going there every year for the past 3 years). If I can't get home early enough (I can't come home by myself since it's a bit dangerous) I'll probably have to hold it for 10 hours.

jaim38

The root canal therapy may be expensive but I didn't find it a painful experience since my cousin was very careful and considerate about how I was feeling, if it was hurting, etc (the other one would tell me to shut up and continue to hurt me).

For me, the root canal therapy was a bit painful so my dentist had to use anesthetics. But I had to see him 3 times which was a hassle because I would rather get it over with in 1 setting. Root canal therapy takes longer to do than fillings. Plus I remember my mom kept complaining to the dentist how expensive his fees were (around $300-$400) and she tried to get him to lower his fees. I was so embarrassed the entire time I was there. Now the staff probably think we're cheap, which we are.

I do have health insurance, but it's only partial coverage. It doesn't cover psychiatric or dental services.

Ithior

Ithior-I would be mortified if the dentist told me to "Shut up"! That is abuse. Not acceptable. Plus the a-hole didn't even do a good job, sounds like he should be out of business by now from law suits.

He was nice to my sister. He treated my teeth well, he just didn't treat the ones that were bothering me.

For me, the root canal therapy was a bit painful so my dentist had to use anesthetics. But I had to see him 3 times which was a hassle because I would rather get it over with in 1 setting. Root canal therapy takes longer to do than fillings. Plus I remember my mom kept complaining to the dentist how expensive his fees were (around $300-$400) and she tried to get him to lower his fees. I was so embarrassed the entire time I was there. Now the staff probably think we're cheap, which we are.

I do have health insurance, but it's only partial coverage. It doesn't cover psychiatric or dental services.

The first time I had to use anaesthetics too, I think it's standard procedure. I think I had to go more than 3 times though. First I put some temporary things which my dentist would check every week (about 4 or 5 weeks) to see if I was bleeding and if there was any infection. Basically she had to repeat the first procedure again, but without anaesthetics since they weren't needed. Then I did the definitive thing, but with a temporary mass. That mass broke and I had to put another one. I should put the definitive mass next week.

jaim38

Going out tonight with my friends to a concert sort of thing. I'll be arriving there by 10pm. The concert ends up by 1am but the night is just starting at that point. I think my friends want to stay there until the morning (like 8am).
My problem is that I'm sort of pee shy and as such most of the times I can't use the portable toilets in that place (I've been going there every year for the past 3 years). If I can't get home early enough (I can't come home by myself since it's a bit dangerous) I'll probably have to hold it for 10 hours.

You could try flushing then doing your business. Or maybe turn on the water faucet. Or bring an mp3 player to distract yourself.

Ithior

You could try flushing then doing your business. Or maybe turn on the water faucet. Or bring an mp3 player to distract yourself.

Those portable toilets are just like a really small room with a wannabe toilet in the middle (it's more like a hole). There's no flushing, no water faucet. To make things worse the place is full of drunk people so there's always the chance someone will come and shake it.

I'll just try to go to the toilet many times until I eventually get it done.

I don't understand Outback Steakhouse. The only thing Australian about it is the names of the food. Oh wait, those are stereotypical names created by Americans. So yeah... nothing Australian about it. It's just a steakhouse with corny "Aussie" food names and some novelty decor. I find it kind of embarrassing.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
I just hope they put a recording notification light on it for the camera, so you can see when the camera is on. Otherwise I would not feel comfortable at all talking openly about certain things with people wearing them. Especially since it has a live stream function.

Hah, I was thinking the same thing. Now people with glasses can be secretly recording you whenever they want!? Hello paranoia. I'm already paranoid only with iphones. I need to get out of here.

coyote

I don't understand Outback Steakhouse. The only thing Australian about it is the names of the food. Oh wait, those are stereotypical names created by Americans. So yeah... nothing Australian about it. It's just a steakhouse with corny "Aussie" food names and some novelty decor. I find it kind of embarrassing.

ice cold 25 oz Foster's in a frosted mug :thumbup:

and the coconut shrimp

too bad there aren't any anywhere close to where i live

hoddesdon

"Outback" is a genuine Australian word. "Steakhouse" is not used here though.

this_portrait

Why must I be so damn awkward? Even when I feel confident about things, my actions and words just come out awkward-like. I feel like it pushes people away from me sometimes (well, most of the time, actually).