How old do people think you are?

lilmutegirl

I have noticed that people, both younger and older than me, seem to get the impression that I am younger than I am. I am petite, which I think is one reason for my physical appearance to cause people to err on the younger side, but I have started to wonder if it is also because I appear naïve about things, often questioning (though not necessarily out loud) what people mean, or what is going on. I hope it is not an indication that those around me think I am young because they think I'm dumb...even people who know how old my son is seem to think I am years younger than I am, which would imply they think I was really young when I had him.

MollyBeGood

People, men and women, constantly tell me I look like I am in my 20's which is awesome since I am older by many yrs :) I love it of course. I never got this until I tuned 30. I think after 30 people really age-must be because of kids and job stress etc...

everyone sucks

I'm not sure there is an exact number people think I am in age. Honestly, I think it can be pretty difficult to determine age by appearance alone. Pretty much everyone I have told my age to lately is surprised, because they seem to think I'm many years younger... It's kinda annoying. I think I look like I could be my age, even if some people have told me I look younger than I am. That's not what bothers me though. Maybe it's just the fact that I haven't really done anything with my life and appear nervous and perhaps childlike in demeanor. I want to be an adult, since I AM an adult, but I sure as hell don't feel like one right now. It doesn't help that people seem to treat me as if I am some incompetent child. It only reinforces my insecurities.

Metal_isthe_Answer

People think I'm younger than I am, they tend to guess 25 or 26, but I am 30. Doesnt exactly bother me though, its just a couple years difference

MollyBeGood

Re: everyone sucks

I'm not sure there is an exact number people think I am in age. Honestly, I think it can be pretty difficult to determine age by appearance alone. Pretty much everyone I have told my age to lately is surprised, because they seem to think I'm many years younger... It's kinda annoying. I think I look like I could be my age, even if some people have told me I look younger than I am. That's not what bothers me though. Maybe it's just the fact that I haven't really done anything with my life and appear nervous and perhaps childlike in demeanor. I want to be an adult, since I AM an adult, but I sure as hell don't feel like one right now. It doesn't help that people seem to treat me as if I am some incompetent child. It only reinforces my insecurities.

You are probably just sweet,unassuming and pretty. Being an adult is extremely over-rated anyways!

theoutsider

People tend to think I'm about 15 years younger than I really am. Believe it or not, this causes problems sometimes. I've worked around a lot of people who are younger than me. Whenever they find out my real age, they often start treating me differently, almost distancing themselves more.

OceanMist

I have always looked very young. I'm 30 now and look about 23 or so, some people may think I look even younger than that.

It's working out well the older I get, because people who find out my age will be impressed that i am still decent looking and not overweight as I get into my 40s and so.

I have started losing my hair, which is the one indicator physically that people can tell that I'm not that young anymore.

I'm always complaining about this.

People have consistently placed me at 9-10 years younger than I actually am. I'm 24, so not exactly flattering. The "you'll LOVE it when you're older" gets, well, old, too... I'm in my 20's, I want to like myself now, and be able to go to bars or functions and have a glass of wine without getting sideways looks. Not gonna happen until I'm 50, apparently.

I feel ya, OP. Ever had someone make a huge deal of it in front of others and call someone else over to appraise your appearance? A waitress did that to me once. I told her off for it but I never called her manager to complain, should have. I can imagine having kids would be rough - so many dirty looks.

Last edited:

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Yeah people usually give me around 10 years younger than I am. It's because I'm tiny, unconfident and I still dress like a teenager. I don't care.

Sometimes it seems like some people (mainly children & teens) think i'm still only a 'boy' (ie teenaged), which is 20+ years younger than i actually am (early 40s).
I take it as an insult, as they seem to be saying it in a derrogatory way, like there's sth inferior or defective about me.
Worse is when i get said i look like a 'girl'.
But labels are only approximations of the facts, which i think are that i probably look 10-15 years younger than my age, and i do look somewhat effeminate (a "pretty boy").

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Eh, usually, 4 years older than ma actual age - apparently I'm very mature for my age. Nae idea if that's a compliment or no'.

AtTheGates

Banned
im almost 25 and every other guy my age (that I know of) looks older than me...which kind of sucks but it also kind of gives me an excuse to act slightly younger than my age.

ana0989

Yeah, It happens to me all the time. People think I am much younger than I am, maybe because I look like a teenager when I'm 25, I don't look like a girl of my age maybe because of my physical appearance and my outfits, which probably make me look kind of immature.