how do you deal with loneliness?

joyce

so how do you deal with loneliness
watching tv? maybe movie tell me how you deal with loneliness

TV, movies, reading, music... and strangely (or not so strangely) while I'm working I'm not really thinking about it- and since I do work alot I don't really have time to feel the loneliness that much.

WeirdyMcGee

I have an 'online life' rather than a real one.
Makes me feel a little bit better about not having a single relationship face to face with a human being.

Newtype

Well, I've been totally alone for the past ten years and I had many ways to numb myself to the loneliness, like video games, television, movies, the Web, etc. However, after all this time, I realize that it was never good to be alone to begin with. I think that even if a person has SA, that person should try to meet real life people. I know it's easier said than done, especially for us, but we'll never heal if we don't try to do things that we fear.

eek

1. the internet
2. exercise
3. piano
4. substances
5. sleep

Crying too but that's very hard to do.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Music
Movies
The Internet
Reading

And... stand-up comedy, well, actually comedy in general to be honest. (Gotta have a good laugh every now and then or else you'd just be miserable all the time)

joyce

TV, movies, reading, music... and strangely (or not so strangely) while I'm working I'm not really thinking about it- and since I do work alot I don't really have time to feel the loneliness that much.
reading :D nice

I drink myself into oblivion.
That doesn't sounds too good

I have an 'online life' rather than a real one.
Makes me feel a little bit better about not having a single relationship face to face with a human being.
umm cool so your not too lonely?

i don't get lonely, i talk to people enough that any time i get to myself feels like a relief.
thats good :D

I cry. trust me you feel better afterward.
aw thats sad :( but its good to release all those bad feelings :D

I spend my free (lonely) time reading articles on wikipedia...
i see sounds lonely :O

Well, I've been totally alone for the past ten years and I had many ways to numb myself to the loneliness, like video games, television, movies, the Web, etc. However, after all this time, I realize that it was never good to be alone to begin with. I think that even if a person has SA, that person should try to meet real life people. I know it's easier said than done, especially for us, but we'll never heal if we don't try to do things that we fear.
yes good note :)

qsafe10

Well. Loneliness does not mean you can not find friends. This only means you are not with, or do not have someone as so. I look for someone to be by my side or I become my self one.:D

Phoenixx

Just do what I normally would do. Listen to music, watch movies/tv, lots of online time, play video games, research, try and teach myself something new once in a while, the list goes on. I don't normally cry over my loneliness unless it's just been an overall crappy day and the depression sets in again.

Hastings & Main

A lot of the above.
Been hit hard lately a couple times, when the emptiness is like something huge and scary closing in on you and there's nowhere to get out of the way.
Crying is a good release (especially for guys, who would, most of the time, rather slowly saw off a finger than shed tears) and I've done that a couple times this week.

Otherwise, self-distraction is great, like video games. For the short term.

Best for you, though? I think just getting out. Getting that lost, cold feeling in your heart, immediately put on shoes & a coat, and head somewhere. Walk to the corner store, grab a milk or water or something. The human interaction will do wonders, no matter if it's just a Hi to the clerk.

EscapeArtist

Crying is a good release (especially for guys, who would, most of the time, rather slowly saw off a finger than shed tears) and I've done that a couple times this week.

Otherwise, self-distraction is great, like video games. For the short term.

Best for you, though? I think just getting out. Getting that lost, cold feeling in your heart, immediately put on shoes & a coat, and head somewhere. Walk to the corner store, grab a milk or water or something. The human interaction will do wonders, no matter if it's just a Hi to the clerk.

So true

asdfs

EscapeArtist

Lately my grandmother has been calling me to talk. It's a big help with loneliness, hearing somebody sharing their stories... Who is in a pretty similar situation with loneliness. Calling grandparents can be of great help, they always love to have somebody talk/listen...

Movies, TV, music, sleep, substances, over-eating, all distractions and not exactly dealing with it. But if you're working up to dealing with it (you're making new friends, but it takes a while to rid the loneliness, working to get out of the house through a job, trying to get back in school, ETC...) then distractions become a lot more helpful than if you're simply avoiding to acknowledge the truth.

I have always wondered what would come of us if we did not have these ways to hide loneliness. What would happen to a person with SA who had to choose between sitting in his house with no television, computer, phone, book... An empty house, or go to school. I don't think he would be able to take much of the first option and would be forced into his fears...

Last edited:

JamesSmith

I'm always either doing something or looking for something to do to keep me busy. Keeping your mind busy helps a lot with making yourself not feel lonely because you are focused on something else.

Of course I wouldn't be human if I didn't feel lonely and depressed from time to time because I do feel this here and there. I believe the human body isn't meant to be by itself as much I am by myself. It's weird because when I think about other people I just think about how I don't care about them or what they are doing with their lives, yet it hurts to be alone at times. This is proof that we are social creatures and need human socialization to be totally healthy.

I guess the way I deal with this is the faith that some day maybe I will be relaxed and make friends again. I figure I've got at least 50 years left, it's possible things could change. I'm actually somewhat happy that I have the desire to do something about my anxiety. I've never been as committed as I am now. Believe it not, just knowing that helps me deal with loneliness. The hope that things could possibly change keeps me going.

madmike

I'll try anything apart from the one and only thing that actually works, seeking out the company of other people :p I love reading, watching movies, standup comedy, music, gym, etc.

muffletones

i have my xbox and movies, keeps me going, i also sign into a few forums, its nice to be able to relate to people, i still feel lonely tho , its a rubbish substitute to having friends and a girl, those are the things that will truely make me happy.