getting de-friended on facebook

MikeyC

now that i started using my fb again, I delete people who never have anything positive to say. the constant complainers. i get venting every now and then but every single day is ridiculous. it brings me down and i find it healthier to just delete them.
Very good idea. :)

Etbow23

now that i started using my fb again, I delete people who never have anything positive to say. the constant complainers. i get venting every now and then but every single day is ridiculous. it brings me down and i find it healthier to just delete them.

That's a good idea-I too get a little annoyed by certain people's posts. Not just the downers, but the people who like take pictures of their every meals and stuff and post it. But I wonder why some people have deleted me (I hardly ever post :/)

Icepep

Do you ever get de-friended on fb and not understand why?
I must admit i'm not a frequent user of fb but upon going on recently i discovered a couple of my former work friends are now gone off my facebook.

Does anyone know whats the purpose of doing this is?...i mean just becasue you havnt spoken to them for ages??? its not like your profile is causing any inconvience to them...it means they physicaaly have had to make the consious effort to click that button, but why? is it a chore if you have too many friends on your list if you want to chat to the regular ones or somthing?

For me i've only ever did this to someone whos been mean to me....i couldn't give a rats who else is on my list. maybe i'm just reading too much into this..but thats what having SA does to oneself.

Some people (like myself) don't like that other people can see their pictures, interest etc. if they aren't friends with them (not only facebook friends).
I myself find it uncomfortable that some pictures of me are on the internet, even if only a few people (my friend list) can see them.

OceanMist

That's funny you mention that cuz I don't have FB but I have heard that one of my old friends fits your quote you just wrote with perfection. He's always whining on there about women.

He's one of those guys that blames everyone but himself for his problems. When I read his posts that my bro shows me, I'm like wow, shut up dude, you know?

It's not like it's helping him get a g/f when he says that women are just "moment to moment" people. And then he swears and uses a ! mark in every sentence. Ugh.

What's sad is that this dude gets women a lot. You'd think he'd be a little more satisfied with the dozens and dozens of women he's had sex with.

It's one thing to be anonymous and write about not liking women, but this dude is doing that on facebook pretty often?

Last edited:

2QuietForThem

Don't take it personally. Some people have a crazy FB life and they reorganize it by starting over from scratch. They don't include everyone by choice. Do you post random stuff like, "yawn"? Nobody wants to see that mess and is a good way to be defriended. Then again, are you sure the other person is still on FB? Ok, let's say it happened on purpose. Then it's now up to the other person to make a friend request to you!

Kiwong

I've been de-friended a couple of times and de-friended a few.

One person kept sending Farmville and Chefville requests, I warned him not to send them, but they kept coming.

Another was a very right wing, pro gun lobby activist whose every post was politically motivated.

theoutsider

Do you ever get de-friended on fb and not understand why?
I must admit i'm not a frequent user of fb but upon going on recently i discovered a couple of my former work friends are now gone off my facebook.

Does anyone know whats the purpose of doing this is?...i mean just becasue you havnt spoken to them for ages??? its not like your profile is causing any inconvience to them...it means they physicaaly have had to make the consious effort to click that button, but why? is it a chore if you have too many friends on your list if you want to chat to the regular ones or somthing?

For me i've only ever did this to someone whos been mean to me....i couldn't give a rats who else is on my list. maybe i'm just reading too much into this..but thats what having SA does to oneself.

I have to admit I have an old co-worker on my FB that I have considered un-friending. At the time when we became FB friends, a few of us at the job were all friending each other, myself included. Time has passed and everyone but her has either unfriended me or I have unfriended them. My situation is none of these people were really friends at all. At the time I thought they were great people but they really weren't. And they all kind of report things to each other so even though I and the others have gone our separate ways, I know they still keep tabs on what I'm doing through her.

I understand your situation where there are no ill feelings involved therefore no need for them to unfriend you. But I guess some people consider those they haven't spoken to in a while to be not close enough to be considered a friend, even on FB.

wow, this thread is a blast from the past, I haven't used fb in a looong time, and I like it that way now.

Stressball

Some people (well, more like a lot of people) don't seem to like doing all the communicating and get fed up if you put in little to no effort, even if it is just online.

Usually the case. People tend not to understand if you have social anxiety and usually presume you're too lazy/uninterested to talk with them, so they may delete you unfortunately. Has happened to me twice, I would try not to take it personally...I mean let's be honest Facebook is filled with fake friendships, its just a stage for narcissism most of the time.

Last edited:

Remus

Staff member
Not sure if I have been de-freinded, I have removed a few people I used to know for being racist, homophobic or islamophobic.

Who wants to be friends with idiots like that anyway? lol

YellowBird

i don't mind that much being de friended,i have nothing to do,so all i do all day is post statuses,it makes sense for some people to be annoyed,but what really affects my self esteem,is when i send a friend request and get rejected,i'm in many groups on fb so i get to know people from what they post,i only send a request if i really really like someone,and when i get rejected it's like they think i'm not worthy enough.

springk

If your friendship can end with a click, then there wasn't much of a friendship to begin with : P.

Exactly. This the best thought I read today.
Fb doesn't matter much. Its kind of a communication tool for me. I do have some people on my list I don't speak with but I don't bother about it. I don't post often as there is nothing to post.
If someone will defriend me it will make me think if I considered them a friend but if I don't consider him/her friend it does not matter at all.

shyflower

There are things I have learned about having facebook. People have you on their friends list because they know other friends that you know. Just because they accepted a friend request, doesn't mean they are your friend.. people see it as a competition to see if they can get 500 more friends than you. I finally deleted my facebook for the 3rd time. I was being sent messages by people I know requesting advice or help.. but if I were to ask for that in return.. they would ignore me. If you know me on facebook, but don't talk to me in person when you see me. Don't call or text.. even though I have..etc. I don't see the point of having an account. People may have been commenting on posts I made when I had an account.. but now those same people have my number and the phone is silent and they don't try to keep in contact with me at all. Facebook just made me feel depressed and it made me hate all of those people.. Those were not my friends.. it's just all about people seeing how much gossip they can scrape up on you. I wouldn't worry about those people on facebook..are they really your friend? A real friend wants to talk to you, be in your prescence, and is there for you!

cowboyup

I recently joined FB and went on a few times, added a few 'true friends' who I knew from work long ago. I went on once in the past 6 months or so and noticed I was de-friended by a couple people I didn't know. It didn't bother me though. I haven't been on a while and I am thinking of just deleting it cuz I really don't have time and don't care. lol

I have it privatized so much that there are no pics, no posts, etc. and I noticed one guy (who I don't know) asked where are my pics and if I was "hot"....I found it creepy and ignored it, logged off and haven't been on since. :giggle:

As far as being de-friended, I'd take it as what some said here, that some people get bored with no posts from another person so they go the extra mile to delete that person, ... but who knows, LOL

I would not let it bother you though...not worth your time, energy

lyricalliaisons

People delete people for all kinds of reasons. Since you rarely use the site, that could be why people delete you. I tend to not keep people around unless we talk, unless we're pretty close.

^True. Yeah I've been deleted by a few friends and an ex girlfriend. I've also deleted a few people because I didn't really know them but they added me or I just never talked to them.

Honestly, if I don't even notice that someone is no longer on my friends list, I must not have been actually friends with them anyway.

But yeah, getting unfriended by people you actually know and are friends with kinda sucks.