facebook, likes and friend numbers

sahxox

LOL so I don't add everyone I know only got 80 friend or so which is outrageous for an 18yearold in their prime. Gahhh anxious to change profile pic, what'll everyone think of me? >.< who gives an eff really. I can do whatever I want, I'm a human.

Flanscho

I try to keep the number of friends on facebook as low as possible. I only want people there I really care about, and who care about me. Ever few months I go through the list and dump everybody who is not really important to me. As such, my friends list there is always under 50.

Steiner

You're makin me feel bad about my facebook lols. I am sure no one will pay much notice if you change your pic. If anything they will make a comment on how nice you look.

MikeyC

sahxox, I have no idea what you're trying to say...? Facebook friend numbers shouldn't matter, no matter how old you are.

greggy

The thing with fb that f's me off is all the pictures of people in parties, I mean do they party 24 7!!

greggy

If you had 3 friends only thst you had good convasations with regularly that you care about and that care about you then this is all you need, I have over 300 "friends" on fb and honestly I could quit happily delete 250 of them, because when I message them they dont even reply haha!

Srijita52

Meh I do become friends with random people. But I couldn't care less really, friendship means much more to me than this. That being said, it feels good to have a brief chat with the people I used to know. Change your picture if you want to, I'm sure you'll get some nice comments. And yeah I agree people only put up their best faces on fb, I don't like to go public when I'm feeling depressed or upset. To me its more like a light place to be.

sahxox

yeah true true it is all about appearances. I understand people might have less friends, but as an 18 year old understand my peers are clubbers with 13413409 friends each. Best keep a real perspective on it... everyone probably has a sense of anxiety choosing their best pictures

Remus

Staff member
I joined the facebook SAD groups and pretty much doubled my friend count (and these guys actually talk to you)

Silatuyok

I think it is all about whatever you make it about. I don't always post my best pics, just the ones that I think will make people smile or that convey what I want to convey. I see a ton of status updates that show the worst sides of some people--I often wish they would be more selective about what they choose to share, though that is ultimately up to them to decide. And again, a lot of people choose to use facebook as their vehicle of complaint. Sure, some people use facebook as a popularity tool or to make themselves look good all the time, but I guess I just don't know those people.

MFDunn

I have a Facebook page, and I used to worry about how many friends or pictures I had but honestly I really don't care anymore. I have social anxiety, OCD and depression and I used to constantly worry about what people thought of me based on my pics and number of friends...it got so bad that I had to get rid of my old page since the worrying was starting to partially ruin my life in some ways and I used to have 800 friends since I knew a good amount of people on top of a bunch of my friends.

After a year and a half or two years away I decided to make a new one and right now I have just under 200 friends since I decided to take a similar approach to you and just add my friends and people I talk to a lot within the past couple years since I graduated from HS and I still worried a little bit...but as of right now I think it's been about a month since I logged on.

Besides connecting with friends, to me Facebook is primarily a way for shallow people to brag and in some cases over exaggerate how great or wonderful their life is, trying to make others feel jealous or upset. It's just really superficial. "Omg look how many friends I have!"......please lol

laure15

Some of us here have less than 70 friends. It's nothing to be ashamed of. You don't have to share your pics on FB. I don't post pics to FB at all.

megalon

In 6 or 7 yrs, I don't think I've ever had more than 20 facebook friends at one time.:idontknow: I don't think it's anything to worry about.
I came to a realization about the kind of people who have thousands of "friends". That realization is that they're too busy doing other social networking stuff to bother looking at my fb page anyway.:)

Ithior

Ever heard anyone talking about how much facebook friends they have, how many they added that day, etc? It's pathetic.

My dad sometimes talks about him (his fb page is for professional reasons, but the language used is the same), it sounds really weird. "I have 3000 friends!" "I made 6 friends today!". I ask him "Friends? Can you even name one of them?". Of course he can't. Obviously this example is more or less justified by those professional reasons, but most people are like this.

Supernova

I have 17 friends, most are extended family members I don't speak to, others are online friends I don't speak to / probably don't remember me. I have no pictures of myself on there, never really felt comfortable with it.

I once joined an open group about arcade machines, one time someone said "who are you? You have no profile picture and keep commenting on things" I didn't know I had to formally introduce myself and have my life history on Facebook!

I never really use it unless I have to "like" something for a competition, maybe a odd message to someone here and there.

Last edited:

Felgen

I only have 125 friends on Facebook. Generally speaking, I don't want to add a bunch of people I never talk to or don't even like.

dannyboy65

Well just 2 months ago I had 880+ friends on facebook. Some old friends, new friends, people I didn't know, and some people I hated. So I decided to delete them and I had 98 friends and family by the end of it and I love it. You don't need a lot of friends just keep people you want on there then you will feel more comfortable with what you post instead of being harassed because of something you posted.

theoutsider

LOL so I don't add everyone I know only got 80 friend or so which is outrageous for an 18yearold in their prime. Gahhh anxious to change profile pic, what'll everyone think of me? >.< who gives an eff really. I can do whatever I want, I'm a human.

LOL. I only have 65 friends but then again, I'm a lot older than you. I always get friend requests from people I either don't know or barely know. I turn those down. I know a lot of people have 300+ friends but I would rather have 65 actual friends than 250 virtual strangers just to make my count look better on FB.