facebook, likes and friend numbers

Kiwong

You can set up a page and pay for likes. My friend list remains stable.

Last edited:

ImNotMyIllness

Facebook can really be counter productive. Instead of going out and having a social life, everyone spends their time proving that they have a great one. It's superficial and leads to a lot of passive aggressive behavior. Friends come and go with a single click.

GraybeardGhost

There are "friends," and there are friends. Like most people who use Facebook, I suppose, I have too many of the former, and not nearly enough of the latter. They're all people I know or have known in real life, but some have drifted away for one reason or another (or I've drifted away from them), and we've mostly lost touch except for an occasional comment or "like," if that. I can count my real friends on one hand without taking off my warm, woolly mittens.

I'd like to add a few more—some people from here, perhaps—but that hasn't proved as easy as it sounds. It's not about the numbers. If you collect friends like pennies in a piggy bank, you end up with a lot of friends who are only worth that much and a lot who are worth even less. It's about taking the connections I've made here, and building them into something more, something like true friendships. It's also about creating a sort of lifeline, so that if I happen to drift away from the forum again, I won't lose touch with the people here who matter to me most, and I'll be able to find my way back that much sooner. I hope.

ImNotMyIllness

There are "friends," and there are friends. Like most people who use Facebook, I suppose, I have too many of the former, and not nearly enough of the latter. They're all people I know or have known in real life, but some have drifted away for one reason or another (or I've drifted away from them), and we've mostly lost touch except for an occasional comment or "like," if that. I can count my real friends on one hand without taking off my warm, woolly mittens.

I'd like to add a few more—some people from here, perhaps—but that hasn't proved as easy as it sounds. It's not about the numbers. If you collect friends like pennies in a piggy bank, you end up with a lot of friends who are only worth that much and a lot who are worth even less. It's about taking the connections I've made here, and building them into something more, something like true friendships. It's also about creating a sort of lifeline, so that if I happen to drift away from the forum again, I won't lose touch with the people here who matter to me most, and I'll be able to find my way back that much sooner. I hope.

Great idea!

montejocarlo

just remember that your fb account is yours; your fb photos are yours; your ideas are yours; your life is yours. you can do whatever you want. if you're afraid of being criticized or ignored, it could be that you're doing things to get attention or approval, and not because you really want to do them. i have quite a number of facebook friends but it's only for the purposes of networking. i don't know most of them personally. needless to say, i'm not a people person. i'm not very friendly either so i don't get much 'likes'. lol. but i post what i want to post anyway. it's bad enough that i can't express myself in person. i don't want to be subdued online. it's a matter of self-expression.

S_Spartan

Farcebook is like high school all over again. Sign my yearbook!!!! I was forced to go through that then I really don't want to voluntarily go through it again. It saddens me to see adults acting like teens on there.

Silatuyok

I'd friend you. :thumbup: