Drivers license?

GhastlyCC

I know i'm likely the only one.
But has SA stood in the way of anybody else here of obtaining a drivers license?
I just can't get myself to go do it.
Iv'e had a learner's permit a couple times.
And my brother and dad have taken me driving alot.
But only early in the morning when there's little traffic or around the neighborhood streets.
I'm a bit afraid of driving with other traffic....which is one of the main things you have to do.:D
I fee that I have an alright handle on well....handling a vehicle.
Both in operating it in the proper way and know the laws/rules and what not.
They tell me that I could pass easily.
But...I just know I'll **** up worse than anybody ever.heh
When somebody is watching what i'm doing I can't do it!
I even manage to **** up writing my name when filling out forms if the person is waiting on me.
But I don't know...I kinda feel like I would be able to focus a bit more when driving a car,You know?
So I don't crash and horribly maim me and whoever's in the car with me.
... I'm 22 and don't have a license.
I feel like such a loser when I see some young ass kids driving around and i'm still walking.haha

I'm just kind of afraid of the whole idea in general.
I was in a car accident when I was 10 and it really kind of scarred me.

Anybody else out there like me?
No? Alright.::p:

lonely man - YouTube

Last edited:

Insanewoman389

I'm exactly like you! I've never even had a permit yet, I'm afraid of driving around other people too and I feel that I'm good with the mechanics of the driving I just need to get used to it.

DeadmanWalking

You sound no different from me, other than the fact that I'm 19. I really should have a car (on campus), but I usually feel better by watching those that drive cars frantically look for a parking spot while class starts in 3 min. Cruel? Maybe. Well, walking does come with its own advantages, so think of it like that. I'm supposed to go take my driver's license test this summer, but I haven't gone driving in a while, I might end up failing it. Get your license when you feel that you need one; it shouldn't determine your worth, okay?

Last edited:

MaliceInWickedland

I have yet to start taking driving lessons. I only got to learn the basics from my mom and she didn't turn out to be a very good teacher (sorry mom ::p:)

My father died in a car accident when I was 7 so naturally I'm afraid that I'll end up like him someday. The other thing that holds me back are the actual driving classes. Sitting in a car with a stranger and having to perform under their supervision and be criticized for my actions is one of my worst social phobic nightmares. My mom wants me to sign me up for classes as soon as possible though so I guess I'm just going to have to suck it up.

Sorry to hear you were in a car accident at such a young age by the way. I can only imagine how frightening that must have been, but I'm glad you're alright.

Last edited:

Jessica7

I don't have mine either, I am way too scared to go and book a test but everyone tells me I should :( Driving on busy roads looks so scary, I get so nervous just thinking about it.

market.garden

I'm nearly 26 and can't drive :D

I took some lessons about 5 years back, but realised quite quickly it's not something I'm able to do. I freaked out whenever I got behind the wheel.
It would be irresponsible for me to try and drive now, so I've decided never to own a car.

I'm kinda happy with that. Aside from not being able to deal with the anxiety driving causes, having a licence isn't something that's ever interested me, or been necessary in my day-to-day life.

MikeyC

I even manage to **** up writing my name when filling out forms if the person is waiting on me.
Hey, I once told someone I was 21 when I was 23 because I was so nervous about him asking me questions. Don't feel bad.

I feel like such a loser when I see some young ass kids driving around and i'm still walking.haha
If you're getting around just fine with walking, continue that. It's healthier and cars are more expensive than you think.

My father died in a car accident when I was 7 so naturally I'm afraid that I'll end up like him someday.
I'm so sorry to hear that, Malice. ::(:

I don't have mine either, I am way too scared to go and book a test but everyone tells me I should :( Driving on busy roads looks so scary, I get so nervous just thinking about it.
You live in Sydney and those roads are definitely scary. I have driven in there a few times and the traffic can be ridiculous.

I used to be afraid of driving. I never used to drive to my nearest city because I hated the traffic. Eventually I had to suck it up and get used to it, and now I am. I can even drive to Sydney now, but that's a bigger challenge and I find that very difficult, especially driving down the main streets.

Highway driving is the best, though. :D

THeCARS1979

I know i'm likely the only one.
But has SA stood in the way of anybody else here of obtaining a drivers license?
I just can't get myself to go do it.
Iv'e had a learner's permit a couple times.
And my brother and dad have taken me driving alot.
But only early in the morning when there's little traffic or around the neighborhood streets.
I'm a bit afraid of driving with other traffic....which is one of the main things you have to do.:D
I fee that I have an alright handle on well....handling a vehicle.
Both in operating it in the proper way and know the laws/rules and what not.
They tell me that I could pass easily.
But...I just know I'll **** up worse than anybody ever.heh
When somebody is watching what i'm doing I can't do it!
But I don't know...I kinda feel like I would be able to focus a bit more when driving a car,You know?
So I don't crash and horribly maim me and whoever's in the car with me.

I'm just kind of afraid of the whole idea in general.
I was in a car accident when I was 10 and it really kind of scarred me.

Anybody else out there like me?
No? Alright.::p:

lonely man - YouTube
Hey just do it, try not to be afraid. Just go easy at first. Maybe tell the instructor you have SA. I think you should be alright. When you get it, go easy at first and slow and work your way up to the heavier traffic. You aren't asked to perform in the heavier traffic in the test. They aren''t going to do that. Steve

Lorraine Manca

go out to the middle of no where to take the test, it will be fine :) i had the same problem and had to do that to pass. it took me three times. i tried twice in the city before i realized i could take it out in the country. the driving instructors in the city were rude and irritable, whereas the ones in the rural area were just bored, well fed, and cheerful. big difference!

Flowers-Of-Bloom

I'm 19, almost 20, and I still don't have my learners permit. Yeah, I've been putting it off for a long time. Way too nervous about going in there and taking the test. God help me.

Charmed

I finally got mine at 19, even though I barely ever go anywhere. The only reason I went the first time is because my sister really pushed me to do it.

The funny thing is when I was younger I was excited about getting my license. Then puberty happened ... it didn't end well. Now I never go anywhere.

Hey just do it, try not to be afraid. Just go easy at first. Maybe tell the instructor you have SA.

I don't think telling someone you have Social Anxiety is going to make things easier ... people are very judgmental.

Tiercel

Try not to feel so ghastly, GhastlyCC. Last weekend I finally got around to renewing my license after worrying about it for 2 weeks. It was the first time I've had to renew it since I first got it 4 years ago.

Back when I was 27. ;)

cowboyup

Ghastly, try not to feel bad, I was 35 when I finally got mine. My sister, who is also SA, recently got hers and she is slightly older than you.

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
I was almost 20 before I went and got mine, and I never had a permit (you could forego a permit if you were at least 18). But I only took the test then because my grandmother drove me to the DMV and refused to take me back home until I had at least attempted it. ha ha

Driving on my own was a very intimidating prospect at first, so I’d only go out late at night when traffic was virtually non-existent; later I would drive during mid-mornings on weekdays when most people were at work. I eventually became comfortable with driving all the time.

Don’t feel bad about not having your license though, if I hadn’t had that big “push” from my grandmother, I may have never gotten mine.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

I'm almost 19 and I still don't have my license. A few people are already starting to get on my case about it. -.- I've had my permit for a year and a half now. The test was easy and didn't have a problem with it. I can drive fine when I'm pretty much the only one on the road (thank god I live in the middle of nowhere), but as soon as I get onto a busy road/street I get so extremely nervous. I'm always nearly on the verge of having a panic attack, so most of the time if I drive somewhere I only drive to a certain point, and then switch places with my mom because I can't handle going through town or anywhere there's a bunch of people.

It's also a pain to get your license here in NY. Before you can even take the driver's test you have to go to a 5-hour defensive driving class, not to mention the typical required hours of practice driving. It's a lecture class, not even a hands-on course. (Unless you take driver's ed. Then I think you're exempt from taking it. I was too scared to take driver's ed. :/) Not sure if it's like that in other states.

lilmutegirl

I guess I'm lucky. My mom forced me to take Driver's Ed in high school, so I was exempt from taking the driving test, and got my license as soon as I finished the course. I was very nervous during the class, but managed to pass. For someone who was terrified of driving, I was one of the best drivers in the class.::p:
I say, if you feel so nervous that you think you will not be a safe driver, than maybe you should not pursue a license at this time. If it is not necessary for you to drive, then it shouldn't impact your life too much. Just think of all the money you'll save on car payments, insurance, gas, and maintainence!
:D

WeirdyMcGee

I will never have money for my own car, so I don't get strange looks about not having my license (anymore) at 23 years old.
Most city people I know also don't have a drivers license past a G1- OR a car; so it's not that big of a deal, I think.

I figure... if the crowds in the DMV don't completely dissuade me from going back to write the driver's exam again, I could possibly be able to drive by the time I'm 25 and by then, any insurance I'd have to take care of would be much cheaper than it would be now.
The CROWDS and waiting time are horrific.
Best to do any of the tests in small towns and rural areas - never EVER in the city.
So much easier to pass, too. (not that I need it to be easy...)
but PEOPLE!
...the people freak me out.
yeah.

Shyangel

I don't have a drivers license either. My parents never taught me. They never even thought about it. My parents neglected everything that had to do with me learning something. I love them any way, but they took so many opportunities away from me like that. My parents seemed to forget about my and my 2 closest siblings. we never went to school or anything kids our age were suppose to do. I missed out on so many experiences. My parents never motivated me to do anything like parents are suppose to do. But, anyway, That's why I didn't get a license when I was younger, now it's because we don't have the car and I'm self conscious about making people go out of there way to teach me.