City vs. Small Town Living

Timbo

As a sufferer of APD and SA, I've always felt much more comfortable living in a major city and feeling anonymous compared to my tiny home town where everyone knows everyone and having to make small talk and conversation anytime I go out in public.

Anybody have similar experiences?

bigcat1967

Not really. I live in a big city but actually live in the burbs. Everything gets narrowed down to your neighbors or what not.

ridicule

I live in an extremely small town of 2,000 and I totally get what you're saying. If I'm out in public for 10 minutes, chances are I'll run into someone who knows me and it's ****ing irritating. But when I've gone and stayed in some big cities, of course there is more people, but that's just it..... you are anonymous and no one even pays you half a mind, so I agree, it's much better in a big city.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I don't live in a city or a town. I live 20 minutes away from the nearest small town and in fact do not normally have a lot of contact with humans in general. I find this much easier on me than the other sorts of living.

coyote

absolutely!

one of the best things about living in the city was being surrounded by people and activity, but totally anonymous at the same time

i have lived in small towns where it seemed like everyone was is everyone else's business - was really uncomfortable under that kind of scrutiny

the small town i live in now doesn't fell that way - maybe because it's mostly populated by people, like me, who moved up here from the city

sucettes

I hate the town I live in, it's very small and a total sh*t hole. Everyone knows everyone and everyone TALKS. Rumors all the time. People poking their nose in other peoples business. It's annoying. Living here and the people here has made my SA worse. When I'm in the city I'm much better.

Phoenixx

I live in a super small town, only about 1500 people. I don't live in-town, thankfully, but I don't go in town much anyway. Everyone knows everyone else (And half are all related to each other. :rolleyes:) and are always talking. It's really quite irritating, to me.

When I lived in the city, even then it wasn't that big, only 8000. But still, the neighbors didn't stick their nose in your business as often and if I went to the store or something, very rarely did I run into anyone I knew. I think I'd prefer to live in a city again, definitely.

MollyBeGood

I live in a town of 1000 people and I am moving soon so I get to feel anonymous :) I am now excited for the prospect. I really dislike everyone knowing my business even people I don't know ..gets old. I always thought a small town would be better for being able to blend into the woodwork but it's the opposite. The place I am moving to still only has about 60k people so not a big big city by any means, but compared to 1000 it's huge.

funny story I am in the drug store/soda fountain/ post-office(they combine all that stuff in small towns haha) buying personal care items and this guy I know, cuz everyone knows everybody starts eye-ing my shopping basket and even tried to dig through it a bit. Omg privacy please?! people. Yes I want to go to a place where nobody knows my name.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

狼;492358 said:
I always thought a small town would be better for being able to blend into the woodwork but it's the opposite.
^ Exactly what I thought when I moved here. I thought it would be better, but honestly, I really don't like it at all.

The town I'm moving to next week, where my college is, only has a population of 5000. But also, the college itself has 5000 kids on campus. Still pretty small altogether, but at least I can go out somewhere and still remain somewhat anonymous. And plus, it's surrounded by a few small cities, which makes it even better. ::p:

WeirdyMcGee

I've lived in both opposites-- a large city and a village
For now, I'm in a small town... I'll probably move back to the city once I'm well enough to work because I really do prefer the anonymity (but I'm also terrified of the crowds everywhere)
so... I guess I'm stuck here.

Metal_isthe_Answer

I live in a small town but no body knows me, so thats pretty sweet, and Ive lived here for 19 years, its quiet, my neighbors rarely have get togethers (mainly with their families) so nobody ever bothers me, thats the best reason to live in the country, but, potholes and dirt roads suck really bad, so does smelling cow s**t outside every now and then

Phoenixx

I live in a small town but no body knows me, so thats pretty sweet, and Ive lived here for 19 years, its quiet, my neighbors rarely have get togethers (mainly with their families) so nobody ever bothers me, thats the best reason to live in the country, but, potholes and dirt roads suck really bad, so does smelling cow s**t outside every now and then
^ Remaining anonymous in a small town. How is that possible? You must teach me your secretive ways. ::p:

Yeah, my family lives in the country. That's definitely one thing I don't miss is the dirt roads, pot holes, and the smell of farms. Ugh...

this_portrait

I grew up in a mid-sized city, and have been attending school in Chicago for the past 3 years now (in my 4th year now). While I can be completely anonymous in Chi-town, I wouldn't say that being anonymous in a mid-sized city is impossible. It's totally do-able, but you are probably more likely to run into people you know.

Somewhere

I would actually feel more anonymous in a big city I think. That way I don't get recognized every time that I go outside. So I would much prefer a big city.

Warrior Poet

If I could I would love to live isolated on a island off the coast of hawaii, just sitting out there pondering about life and meditating.

Last edited:

Kiwong

I much prefer the anonymity of the big city. I lose myself in big city fun runs. The town I live in is like a gold fish bowl, it seems many people know me for the wrong reasons. There aren't enough places to escape to.