City vs. Small Town Living

Glitch

Wow I used to think moving to a smaller city would be better but this thread is making me question that.. The feeling of anonymity is kind of nice sometimes but I figured less people = less anxiety. I can't imagine a whole town being so nosy and in your business, would be horrible!

Metal_isthe_Answer

^ Remaining anonymous in a small town. How is that possible? You must teach me your secretive ways. ::p:

Basically my day is: Get up at 4 am, watch some TV and wake up, shower at 5, leave for work at 5:30.
Get home at 3, play Xbox or PS3 til 8 or so, eat dinner, get on computer, play more Xbox and then, go to bed.
So basically, Im gone before most people wake up, and asleep when most people are still up

coyote

Alleigha♥;634534 said:
I can't really explain how I feel when I'm in the city. I've always been a small town girl, so being in the city is very different. When your out there having a good time, you don't feel as anxious. There's always so much more to do, so much more people to meet. At night, you can look at all the pretty city lights and dream. Everybody is out there doing their own thing, it's not like all attention is on you. Everybody in my town knows each other and I absolutely hate it. When your feeling confident enough to go out, there's never anywhere to go. There is no big bulidings, their are trees and empty land. I don't live where there is an actual beach (which I love) I live by a lake. I love being in the city. I have alot of good memories. Small town life is lonely and boring, you have to much time alone to think about your problems. I would like to get away from some people living here. I think I would do good living the city life if I can get past this anxiety.

that has been my experience exactly

although now i live in a small community that has a lot going on, because it's a tourist/resort area, and a lot of the people who live here are transplants from the city - so it's like the best of both worlds

Foxface

Small town, less people, nicer people etc.

City, a lot of bitchy, judgmental people etc and mostly everyone is in a hurry and don't give a dang.

Excuse my language, no insults intented.

coyote

that has been my experience exactly

although now i live in a small community that has a lot going on, because it's a tourist/resort area, and a lot of the people who live here are transplants from the city - so it's like the best of both worlds

oops, i just scrolled up and saw that i posted the same thing a year ago - sorry :]

razzle dazzle rose

Alleigha♥;634534 said:
There's always so much more to do, so much more people to meet. At night, you can look at all the pretty city lights and dream.
When your feeling confident enough to go out, there's never anywhere to go. There is no big bulidings, their are trees and empty land. I don't live where there is an actual beach (which I love) I live by a lake.

Ah, it is like you read my mind. I feel the same way! I have always lived in the city, but recently I lived in a small town for a couple months. Didn't realize just how much I'd miss those lights and big buildings! And the beach, yes, the beach.

I thought it would be easier to meet people in a small city...thing is there are like no people to meet! There are just more opportunities to do things in a big city. Everything is here.

Unfortunately, the neighborhood I live in is like a small town in that everyone has lived here for a long time and is up in everyone's business. It is hella annoying :/

Labyrinthine

I currently live in a small town. Most of the people here are actually outrageous snobs, that literally judge you because of which side of the street you live on. No joke.

I've always liked larger cities. It's easier for me to drop my defenses around larger numbers of people, especially when they are all so different from each other.

knowledgeofself

I love the countryside, trees, landscapes and not being so close to other people but I like the convenience,cultural diversity of a large town or city. so I have the thought the ideal for me could be a rural setting in close proximity to somewhere built up.

Hellhound

Super Moderator
I'm not sure what to say here. I live in a city, but the noise and crowds are a big nuisance to me. I sometimes wonder if living in a town would reduce all of that stress.

Silatuyok

I think I have the best of both worlds. I live in a town of 700, but it is literally in the middle of a big city. ::p: That way I get the small town community feeling that I love, but I'm less likely to run into neighbors when I'm out running errands. It's great!

Etbow23

I prefer in between. I don't like being in the middle of downtown, with huge buildings around. But I don't like being in the middle of nowhere or in a small town. I could live in the residential district of a city, or the suburbs. It's the combination of too many people and too little that I think works.

I live in the biggest city in Canada and I would never live in a small town. I recently visited my grandmother who lives in a small city and it sucked. Nothing to do, racist idiots staring at you because you're not white, bad public transportation system, everyone knows your business, etc.

Etbow23

I live in the biggest city in Canada and I would never live in a small town. I recently visited my grandmother who lives in a small city and it sucked. Nothing to do, racist idiots staring at you because you're not white, bad public transportation system, everyone knows your business, etc.

Yeah that's one thing I don't like about small towns-there's nothing to do and you really have to drive everywhere unless you want to walk 5 miles. But i guess people can be friendlier

chibiXphantom

i live in a super small town and i hate it. the only thing i like about living in a small town is driving. driving in cities makes me nervous cause im not used to it and theres so many other people. though i like cities and could enjoy living there if i didnt have to drive through it much

Invisibleman

I live in a town thats in an urban centre of about 50 000. I hate it. Everybody is basically the same. I want to live in the city because then it would give me more things to do and explore and i would have so much more variety in the people i come across.

jryden

I don't like either one. I think we need our own planet. But I live in the city. Better than a small town imo

Jemo

I moved from the rather small town I grew up in to a bigger city, and I agree with those of you who appreciate the anonymity. Most of the time I'm just another face in the crowd here and not judged as "the weirdo" or whatever.

drganon

The town I currently live in is growing in population exponentially. Its grown by 10,000 in just the last decade. Not to mention the county I'm in is in the top 10 fastest growing in the country. My once small town now has its own super target and Wal-Mart.