Whats NORMAL?

Dead_on_Arrival

I read a lot about how people want to be normal.
This got me thinking about "What is NORMAL?"

Just because we carry a label does this mean we are not normal. Is it just human nature to feel the way we do. Surley the mind is a natural thing.

So in one word answers can we list NORMAL.

I'll start:- Confident...

Agent_Violet

I was going to say happy is normal...but then again if you read the statistics on the number of people on anti-depressants and meds for being unhappy...it seems unhappy is actually normal.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I think in this context, 'normal' means not having problems in your head severe enough to be classified as a mental illness. ::(:

From Star Trek Generations:

Tolian Soran: Have you ever considered a prosthesis that would make you look a little more... how can I say... more normal?
Geordi La Forge: What's normal?
Tolian Soran: "What's normal?" Well, that's a good question. Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.

That your anxieties don't affect important aspects of your everyday life. Not having social life doesn't make you not normal by itself, but it should be everyone's choice and not an imposition of her/his anxieties.

Normal is nearly impossible to define, but there are some things that most people agree they feel that is not normal, even beyond cultural differences.

Waybuloo

I think in this context, 'normal' means not having problems in your head severe enough to be classified as a mental illness. ::(:

From Star Trek Generations:

Tolian Soran: Have you ever considered a prosthesis that would make you look a little more... how can I say... more normal?
Geordi La Forge: What's normal?
Tolian Soran: "What's normal?" Well, that's a good question. Normal is what everyone else is and you are not.

My definition is in a similar vein - normal means whatever problems you have they don't stop you functioning in society, ie with getting a job, having friends, a relationship, family, vacations, carry out interests and hobbies. I would classify a shy person as normal, depending on severity.

Most people have some sort of worry in their lives. Happiness is not normal really. Most people just have enough inner resources and fortitude to deal with it. Some people are abnormal in disguise because they are addicted to certain things like alcohol, sex, shopping in order to deal with the internal turmoil. Eg Lindsay Lohan.

dreemshaman

It depends, if you mean 'normal' with regards to mental health, then it simply means mentally healthy, no mental problems. If it's 'normal' with regards to how one should behave, then it's about the standard our society expected of us on how we ought to behave.

Normal is without merit.

Normal is what you want other people to be.

It makes no logical sense to want to be normal in another persons eyes.Let alone want it as a self judgment made inside your own head.

Being judged as normal is only ever reassuring in situations where a perceived oddness could lead to you being singled out for ostracising,harm or incarceration.

Normal as an evaluation from friends and lovers,no one wants that.

Normal is just something worn as a disguise in the company of unpleasant people.

BiWinning

I don't think normal is a bad thing.
For some people, it's normal to be weird.
I know that isn't what the dictionary says, but that's my connotation of normal.

Normal=yourself

Phoenixx

I was just talking to my mother on facebook, and after telling her what I was doing today and this weekend, of course the 'anti-social' jokes come out.

And ironically, while I'm looking at this thread, she just so happens to say that "You're supposed to socialize. It's normal."

But I got to thinking, is it actually normal? Maybe for some people, but not for others. I don't really think there's a set "normal" in which one person has to fit into, act, appear, etc. Everyone's different, so how is there an actual "norm" at all?

Just my thoughts. I actually really don't know where I'm actually going with this. So... yeah.

B

Beatrice

Maybe there's no such thing as "normal", but there is such thing as socializing with people in a manner consistent with the majority of human beings, that being one of ease and..... ummm, other things I can't think of right now.

DeadmanWalking

Some term society came up with to keep people in line with its own thoughts and motives and to punish those who refuse to acquiesce, I think.