Whats NORMAL?

MrJones

"Normal" can be a lot of things, including nothing.

If you understand "normal" just like what most people are/do then I don't want to be normal. Normal is boring, almost everyone's normal because that's what defines it.

I'm not normal because I'm very different than anyone else. Of course we're all different but I'm not like the majority of people. I would like to be different (very different) than what I am now, but definitely I don't want to be "normal". I don't like normality.

Deus_Ex_Lemur

'Normal' is everyone's personal view of what they see as acceptable, so it is different for all

Yep. And there's a collective normal; actually many collective normals, broader society, groups within society, cultural, and individual. This has all changed throughout history. The Romans viewed a lot of things as "normal" most of western society does not these days... etc. Normal is like a liquid, flows and changes then becomes solid and rigid for a while and then back to fluid.

MrJones

'Normal' is everyone's personal view of what they see as acceptable, so it is different for all
That could be true, but not in all cases.

Like when someone criticizes society. That means that who's talking is saying that what is normal (society) is not acceptable.

Kiwong

Normal doesn't seem very interesting to me. I try for under the radar, to do those things to keep from being noticed.

B

Beatrice

Just thought of something. If you can't define "normal", then what is "abnormal?" How can you point to anyone at all and say that person is behaving abnormally? What if you need to do so, but can't because there is no longer such thing?

I don't know, I'm probably not making any sense. I'm not totally together right now, being sick and all :p

kc1980

The word "normal" will have many meanings, depending on the context. However, I think that in general "being normal" or "behaving normally" is a good thing. Being normal doesn't mean that you are the same as everyone else. Actually it's normal that there are differences between people, that we have different interests, views of the world, ways of life. Therefore I disagree with people saying that "normal" equals conformist, boring, etc. Actually "normal" people are supposed to be free-thinking, possibly creative people, people who care to make the world a better place. Normal people might be a minority. Of course at some stages of history there can be societies where abnormal behaviour becomes the rule. For example in Nazi-Germany in the views of the regime people supporting the regime were often hard-working, decent people, who apparantly did not do anything wrong. Even though at some point they were a majority, it was their blindness for the complete abnormality of the political situation and racism in their society which was abnormal. The same can probably be applied to the current indifference of the majority of nations towards the destruction of our natural environment. Still it's a tricky debate. At some point in history, things like cannibalism or human sacrifices must have been considered as "normal", according to archaeology. We who have our 21st century point of view can never consider that as normal.

What is classified as "abnormal" behaviour is generally behaviour which is self-defeating, behaviour which is damaging to yourself, other people or the environment. It can be caused be "primitive" impulses, which at some point in human evolution perhaps allowed us to survive, but which now have become useless or damaging. Examples of personal behaviour would be violence, bullying or criminal behaviour towards others. Abnormal would also be extreme neglect of your own "duties", which will possibly lead to great problems for yourself or others at some point in the future: ignoring people who are in urgent need of help, even though you are perfectly able to help them. Neglecting your own health, for example, possibly causing great trouble for yourself or people close to you later in life. Badly managing finances.
Social phobia is considered abnormal because it will seriously impact many aspects of your life and limit your possibilities in life, and prevent you from deriving happiness from interacting with others, and it can be the root cause of some of the above mentioned other abnormal behaviours.

Kasini

Normal in what respect? On this planet it is so hard to point to a "normal." There is no normal.

In the universe, normal is vast expanses of space speckled with stars and other bits of matter like planets and asteroids.

A86

normal is an opinion not a fact

i think normal is nothing more than the most common opinion among a group.

it is usualy the outgoing, confident, extroverty people that express their opinions the most and therefore a lot of what is defined as 'normal' seems to stem from them, and for some reason or another, is accepted by the majority.