What were some of your horrible experences with "friends?"

Just interested if other people's hesitation to have friends is because of past bad experiences. I've had.....

A "friend" who threatened to spread a rumor about me if I didn't insult a teacher out loud

"Friends" who would ditch me in the middle of recess

A "friend" who would regularly insult me and eventually ditched me when he found another group

A "friend" who thought he was better than me because his skin was lighter

A "friend" who's niece stole from my house and didn't bother to do anything about it.

A "friend" who refused to invite me to his birthday party or house, despite inviting his other friends.

A "friend" who called me a loser behind my back because I never had a girlfriend.

"Friends" who laughed at me when I was getting bullied.

Unfortunately, these things still bother me today...

P+G

Having "friends" during primary and high school was bad, I just didn't realise it fully at the time because I was young. I think I thought it was normal and you couldn't do much about it. I was happy that I had someone to hang around with because I didn't like being on my own during school time. Now I know how a good friend should be. It's not that I don't want to make friends, I do and it's hard for me to talk to people, but I want to make good friends. I don't want to be "friends" with bad people just so that I can call them friends. My past experiences have definitely made me dislike people, it made my anxiety worse so it is more difficult.

Srijita52

I'm sorry you had such bad experiences with your friends.

I had a friend in highschool. She was my best friend actually, I trusted her very much. During that time I was getting awfully bullied by some people. My friend was 'friends' with them, she'd always tell me how I looked like a loser or behaved like one, always in front of them. When I told her to stop she said I was getting paranoid, which I was to an extent. We finally couldn't be friends anymore though and I admit it was somewhat my fault too.
Oh and I had another friend who tried to use me as her shadow because I made her 'look' good.

MikeyC

I'm sorry you guys have gone through such experiences. Wow. ::(:

There were many times, but I remember once in cooking class, a guy I despise spat in my food when I wasn't looking, and the friends I was sitting with didn't actually tell me until about half-way through eating it. It was awful.

Iluv

I had a friend once who took my phone. She texted different people and even called others (You think they could tell the difference between our voices, apparently not). She told them lies about me.

Last edited:

lonely_drummer

5 years ago i was in a really bad car accident(head on collision going 100km/h). my supposed best "friend" got out of the car and took off running, leaving me trapped in the backseat. thank god the car didn't catch on fire and that some random people walking by called for help! obviously our friendship was over after that

gustavofring

For some reason certain people always ended up being mean to me. Even recently, like 1 or 2 years ago, I was being ridiculed or people said mean things to me whilst going out with a friend and I mingled with his friend group. He didn't even stick up for me, instead joined in the laughter and ridiculing. I think I may have some sort of naivity, shyness or non-threateningness about me that makes me an easy target for arrogant people.

I can't really give specific situations. It's just small insults or a certain attitude towards me. It's not that I can't be snarky back, I just prefer to not be that way.

Last edited:

Phoenixx

Middle school was absolutely awful for me as far as "friends" go.

In 6th grade I became really good friends with this one girl, we'll call her L. (I actually saw her today, but that's a different story for another time) We got along great, we had a somewhat similar sense of humor and we started becoming friends with the same people so we had our own little group. Well, I thought she was a great friend up until a year later. That's when she started becoming friends with another girl, we'll call her "tag-along." Why? Because she was one of those people who never really had any true friends, but instead bounced from person to person, clique to clique only because she would constantly run her mouth about people and lie to them and basically cause trouble for everyone else. Loved to start drama, she did. Anyway, once L became friends with "tag-along" all she would do is talk about me behind my back with the other girl, lie to my face, and make fun of me (with the other girl joining in). There was a time where we had a huge argument and stopped being friends, but then in 9th grade reformed the friendship. I was stupid, so so so so stupid to think that she changed. She didn't, if anything she was worse. She still made fun of me, she still lied to my face even more, and she was still friends with "tag-along." So basically for six years I put up with this oh so stupidly. I finally cut off all contact with her last year. When I did it, I honestly felt this small weight lift off my shoulders, it was so relieving and I have been a little happier without her. She is probably one of the main reasons why I even have SA to begin with.

In the beginning of 7th grade I was also friends with a couple of these girls who would constantly make fun of me, about how quiet I was and how I acted so awkward sometimes. They both did drugs and partied a lot, at the age of 12/13 mind you. They would even make fun of me for not participating in what they did. Why would I? I eventually ditched them that same year. Even then, the one girl would continue to tease me up until senior year, and she only did it because she was jealous of me, really. How do I know? Just by the way she acted. She was always trying to prove something, always trying to compete with me, and I really don't even know why. Here's an extremely stupid example: A couple years ago, we were both going to the same tech school for Culinary Arts (we were in the same class). Well, it was about the second day in the kitchen, and we were putting pies in the oven. Well the guy she liked at the time was right behind me and says, "Woah, your hands are soooo small!" I kind of just smiled and walked away, a lot of people were commenting about my hands that day and it made me feel really self-conscious. He followed me, then he smiled and put his hand up and said, "Let me see." So I put my hand up to his, just because. (And I would've felt rude if I rejected him because I'm sensitive like that. Obviously my hand was about half of his.) Well apparently she was nearby, because she instantly butted in between us and says, "I bet mine are smaller." So she grabs my hand and compares them to hers. Mine were smaller by an inch. She gave me this dirty look and basically walked away. :rolleyes: Like I said, extremely stupid, it actually makes me laugh thinking about it.

What exactly is there to be jealous of? I have no idea, it's still a mystery to me.

lonely_drummer

In 6th grade I became really good friends with this one girl, we'll call her L. (I actually saw her today, but that's a different story for another time) We got along great, we had a somewhat similar sense of humor and we started becoming friends with the same people so we had our own little group. Well, I thought she was a great friend up until a year later. That's when she started becoming friends with another girl, we'll call her "tag-along." Why? Because she was one of those people who never really had any true friends, but instead bounced from person to person, clique to clique only because she would constantly run her mouth about people and lie to them and basically cause trouble for everyone else. Loved to start drama, she did. Anyway, once L became friends with "tag-along" all she would do is talk about me behind my back with the other girl, lie to my face, and make fun of me (with the other girl joining in). There was a time where we had a huge argument and stopped being friends, but then in 9th grade reformed the friendship. I was stupid, so so so so stupid to think that she changed. She didn't, if anything she was worse. She still made fun of me, she still lied to my face even more, and she was still friends with "tag-along." So basically for six years I put up with this oh so stupidly. I finally cut off all contact with her last year. When I did it, I honestly felt this small weight lift off my shoulders, it was so relieving and I have been a little happier without her. She is probably one of the main reasons why I even have SA to begin with.

In the beginning of 7th grade I was also friends with a couple of these girls who would constantly make fun of me, about how quiet I was and how I acted so awkward sometimes. They both did drugs and partied a lot, at the age of 12/13 mind you. They would even make fun of me for not participating in what they did. Why would I? I eventually ditched them that same year. Even then, the one girl would continue to tease me up until senior year, and she only did it because she was jealous of me, really. How do I know? Just by the way she acted. She was always trying to prove something, always trying to compete with me, and I really don't even know why. Here's an extremely stupid example: A couple years ago, we were both going to the same tech school for Culinary Arts (we were in the same class). Well, it was about the second day in the kitchen, and we were putting pies in the oven. Well the guy she liked at the time was right behind me and says, "Woah, your hands are soooo small!" I kind of just smiled and walked away, a lot of people were commenting about my hands that day and it made me feel really self-conscious. He followed me, then he smiled and put his hand up and said, "Let me see." So I put my hand up to his, just because. (And I would've felt rude if I rejected him because I'm sensitive like that. Obviously my hand was about half of his.) Well apparently she was nearby, because she instantly butted in between us and says, "I bet mine are smaller." So she grabs my hand and compares them to hers. Mine were smaller by an inch. She gave me this dirty look and basically walked away. :rolleyes: Like I said, extremely stupid, it actually makes me laugh thinking about it.

What exactly is there to be jealous of? I have no idea, it's still a mystery to me.

I've dealt with the jealousy thing too. People like that target people like us. We're quiet and don't go around competing with others so they think it's an easy win or something and know you won't rub it in their face if they end up "losing", so it's a win-win for them. It's really quite silly. They have nothIng to offer so go around doing these stupid things

WeirdyMcGee

ohhhh...

Man... I'd have a neverending list if I could actually remember every event.
I didn't make my first friend until grade 10.
Before then, I would be kind to girls who were new in hopes that they might want to be my friend but the other girls in class would tell them that I was dirty and not to be my friend or they would be a loser, too; and then get them to play a nasty prank on me infront of the whole school so they could prove that they're not a loser like me.
That happened probably 2-3 times a year from grade 2-8.

When I moved to different schools, I was still a loser with no friends.
A boy whom I thought was nice, lured me out during one of our classes so I could get gang-beaten by 5 other guys who wanted to 'teach me a lesson'.

In highschool, we (by we, I mean my legal guardian and I) took in troubled girls who had nowhere else to turn.
Each time, it would bite us in the ass.
One girl stole 600 dollars from me that I had in a jar hidden in my room that I had saved for my college fund.
Another different girl went around school telling people that I was cheating on my boyfriend- in hopes that he would hear the rumors and break up with me.

...I don't want to go on, actually.
The fact that my list could go on for days is...
It's pretty depressing... -___-

Phoenixx

I've dealt with the jealousy thing too. People like that target people like us. We're quiet and don't go around competing with others so they think it's an easy win or something and know you won't rub it in their face if they end up "losing", so it's a win-win for them. It's really quite silly. They have nothIng to offer so go around doing these stupid things
^ Yes, it is sad. I have to admit though, and as pompous as it sounds, it amused me very much whenever that girl would always try to "one-up" me and would end up losing. Although she always made up for it by shouting insults at me wherever I was, hoping to have her other friends join in to laugh -- which they did. -.-

ohhhh...

Man... I'd have a neverending list if I could actually remember every event.
I didn't make my first friend until grade 10.
Before then, I would be kind to girls who were new in hopes that they might want to be my friend but the other girls in class would tell them that I was dirty and not to be my friend or they would be a loser, too; and then get them to play a nasty prank on me infront of the whole school so they could prove that they're not a loser like me.
That happened probably 2-3 times a year from grade 2-8.

When I moved to different schools, I was still a loser with no friends.
A boy whom I thought was nice, lured me out during one of our classes so I could get gang-beaten by 5 other guys who wanted to 'teach me a lesson'.

In highschool, we (by we, I mean my legal guardian and I) took in troubled girls who had nowhere else to turn.
Each time, it would bite us in the ass.
One girl stole 600 dollars from me that I had in a jar hidden in my room that I had saved for my college fund.
Another different girl went around school telling people that I was cheating on my boyfriend- in hopes that he would hear the rumors and break up with me.

...I don't want to go on, actually.
The fact that my list could go on for days is...
It's pretty depressing... -___-

Wow, that's bad. Especially the 600 dollars. I'd never trust anyone I didn't know well in my house. I already trusted my "friends" 12 year old niece and that turned out to be a big mistake...

MikeyC

Having those sorts of "fake" friends like L is something I went through as well, and I'm sorry she turned on you.

As for the jealousy thing, that can almost be a compliment. She put you through some awkward times there but she hated you because you were that much better than her.

I want to cry reading this. I am so sorry. So, so sorry.

chibiXphantom

had "friends" who ditched me at my 16th birthday to go hang out with my cousin they all thought was hot.
had "friends" who ditched my at another birthday to go hang out with my brother they all thought was hot.
had "friends" who decided to take me to a chick flick for my birthday (HATE chick flicks) and got me kicked out of the theater. they got me grounded for my birthday.. though i didnt do anything wrong

ive had a lot of bad birthdays...

also my "friends" thought it would be cool lock me in the bathroom at a sleepover party i was having.

knowlife

a lot of my friends were also bullies. ive been hit with rocks, acorns, sticks, tricked, lied to, attempts to steal my gf, choked, figure four leg locked, stolen from, talked about in a negative light, and shot in the ass with a b.b. gun at close range by "friends"

Rembrandt Broam

Originally Posted by WeirdyMcGee

I want to cry reading this. I am so sorry. So, so sorry.

Made me hope that each of those 5 guys have taken a severe beating of their own since then. :mad: What kind of scum gangs up to beat up a girl?? Seriously WTF? :eek: :mad:

Richey

- I used to get blackmailed into things all the time, such as lending gadgets, DVD's, feeling used, because i felt like the friend only wanted to borrow things.

- Being insulted and made fun of or put down when something positive happened to me, its like my friends were envious or just wanted to use the occasion to put me down.

- Arrogant alpha male personas have a field day with me. just their banter and the way they talk to me i find very interesting. Its usually over the top and condescending to extreme levels. I can think of 6 people with that excact personality trait that all have similar tendencies and behaviours. Have realised its best to stay clear of these sorts of people. There is a big difference between confidence/empathy and arrogance/ego.

- Beaten up in High School daily for one year. Had its toll. I've dealt with it ok. That was some time ago now. The worst effect its had aside from confidence issues has been wanting to eat sugary foods, which isn't too bad. I think its that i need a stimulant to deal with it and sugar gives a high. Luckily i exercise to counter any weight gain.

Last edited: