What do you avoid?

Tahti

I try hard to avoid:

1. Group Activities/Work- I severely dislike being in projects where we have to work together. I loath being with people who don't do their work, and I have to do it. Also, I sometimes feel uncomfortable talking to people, especially since I occasionally stutter when nervous.

2. Malls- I don't like malls since I feel out of place being there. There are hoards of people there in groups, and I'm the odd one walking around by myself.

3. Talking- Recently it seems when I'm trying to talk to other people, my voice gets all raspy and thick, and I have to clear my throat often. This really embarrasses me, so I don't like talking.

I am making progress on getting myself to feel comfortable around people I don't know. I'm going to events on campus that I usually wouldn't go to. For example, last Saturday I spent 3 hours volunteering to pick up trash in neighborhoods near my campus. Considering how I willingly volunteered to do this, I think this is a step in the right direction in me feeling comfortable around others.

MikeyC

2. Malls- I don't like malls since I feel out of place being there. There are hoards of people there in groups, and I'm the odd one walking around by myself.
I prefer going to the mall by myself, to be honest. I'm in and out as fast as I want. Like you, though, I try to avoid malls as much as possible.

razzle dazzle rose

If there's something I need to do, and it is that important, I delay it for as long as I can get away with.

Important = scary.

Same here!

Like applying for jobs. Avoid. Interviews. Avoid. Having a job. AVOID. And what I need more than anything is a job. But the whole idea of it makes me super anxious.

Waiting for the bus--I don't mind taking the bus really, but waiting for it is what I can't handle because people driving and walking by can see me. I have a problem with being seen.

TALKING ON THE TELEPHONE. It is a good thing I like to text.

Asking people for help. I don't want to bother people but a lot of the time I do need help :/

Close friendships--It is my instinct to wanna hide after a while. I don't know why. I regret this more than anything...because doing this is why I am so alone today.

razzle dazzle rose

The mall is like a second home to me...but I have a problem with compulsive shopping. Still, I rather go with my sisters than by myself. If I go on my own I do so during weekdays. Weekends are usually full of teenagers and families and it too weird to be by myself.

Srijita52

I avoid buying something I terribly need untill I've no choice. Not sure if its procrastination or anxiety. Maybe a combination of both.

Ambere

talking to people I don't know, talking to people about things that are important, talking one on one with people (weird i love giving speeches but can't do the one-on-one thing), people that I feel I'm going to let down, anything that I consider dangerous, reckless, or impulsive

Hemosapien

I avoid saying "No" to things that I don't want to do (anything where I might have to converse with strangers, basically) so I can avoid admitting that I want to avoid feeling anxious.

lyricalliaisons

Answering the door, answering the phone, talking to people, people in general, leaving the house, and just doing a lot of other things, in general. Basic things.

Illusions

I avoid travelling on the train/bus with people I don't know very well because I don't like having to make conversation with them for the entire ride. I usually make excuses.

I avoid being in the company of people who make me feel uncomfortable... I hate how quiet I can be around some people. :(

Everything. And it's more than just people and being social, it's life. Anything that involves novelty and/or uncertainty, even if I know it's not going to kill me, and may even be extremely beneficial. It's as if there's nothing that can possibly motivate me to do anything that involves any anxiety, and that's pretty much everything.

rbecca

I avoid finding a new job a bit, because my last job was nothing but stress.
Stress because of co-workers, having to less co-workers and working to hard and to many hours.

MikeyC

I avoid finding a new job a bit, because my last job was nothing but stress.
Stress because of co-workers, having to less co-workers and working to hard and to many hours.
There are jobs out there that aren't as stressful, but it can be difficult to find.

InvisaLady

Eye contact, Coversations on topics that I am not sure about. using public restrooms.
Dentists, neighbors, anyone who wants to talk about my education.

Last edited:

Ashiene

I meet every single official diagnostic criteria to AvPD. Basically, I avoid reality and immerse myself in escapism and fantasy.