What do you avoid?

nerdygeek

There are a few things or situations that I always try to avoid. The first thing on my list is PEOPLE. Most people (especially females) nowadays are evil, cruel, misunderstanding, cold, ignorant, selfish, discriminatory...(and the list goes on) I stopped wasting my time looking to make new friends because of the simple fact that people will turn on you in an instant (or the first chance that they get, whichever comes first) I'd rather be in a dark room alone on my computer.
Did I mention females? Well, during my younger years, I tried to look for love and got smacked in the face every time. Well, I'm at the point to where dealing with them is a waste of time (not to mention money) So now I'm at the point to where I say Screw them all. They are something that I DEFINITELY don't want to deal with. Call me bitter. Whatever.
I've been a loner for most of my 39 years on this earth and I'm pretty sure that it's going to stay that way. Hell, as long as I have something to occupy my time and some peace and quiet, I'll be as happy and content as anything.

akala

On bad days I avoid anything that might make me run into someone, so that means leaving the door, taking out the trash, touching something dirty, so sometimes my room gets messier and messier because i'm afraid to touch my clothes, using a stairway at school because I might see someone who I don't like, avoid making friends at fear they'll take advantage of me, avoid eating because nothing ever seems right, avoid doing laundry because the laundry room in my apt. is always dirty and dusty. those are the main things, avoid deadlines, avoid school, anything that is stressful, is avoided basically. Most of these is to avoid death

onehandclapping

showing an interest in people
intimacy
familiarity
people getting to know me
conflict
routine
regular obligations
busy places
places and situations with people watching/observing me
crowds and claustrophobic social places
unwanted noise
awkward situations
places with a lack of personal space and violating noise
communication and interaction with strangers (one of the most difficult things for me to avoid)

cowboyup

well, at present I am avoiding skype with that guy I know in NY. I feel like I don't have privacy either - NO...we just talk :eek:
But seriously, it's like talking on the phone, I avoid it.

Also, I am avoiding going over to someone's house to pick up my stuff in storage and bringing it home. Their house is in foreclosure and they're going to get kicked out so I have to get it...My brother offered to help me so I think I'll take him up on that :)

in general:

I tend to avoid speaking/answering the phone, going to the grocery store unless absolutely necessary or I wait late at night when I know there's not going to be a crowd. Relationships in general. Though, if someone makes an effort to talk with me, I will try to muster up courage to be polite and try to make conversation.

cowboyup

Oh jeez, that is another reason why I stay up late because they love to make nest around me and drop into my bed. I have braids, so one night I woke up punched myself in the head and it was my hair, darn spiders turning myself against myself like that. 2 points for them -1 for me. (Keeping score b****s)

I avoid 90% of life, so I can relate to almost everyone on here.

yuck! for me it's cockroaches. I moved into an apt when I first moved here and the place was crawling with them...literally. I had to have to bldg mgr light one of those smoke bomb thingies...but the following day they started crawling out of a tiny crack in the kitchen counter...it was so nasty - and I have a strong stomach

Jere

Doing something new for the first time.

Such as going to an unfamiliar location or trying to learn a new technique.

These type of things always initially make me feel uncomfortable and like a poor helpless child. And I've always been an efficient, but very slow learner. My first time doing things always ends up being a complete disaster and that makes me feel ashamed and embarrassed, especially since most of these "things" are in front of other people. But luckily as time goes on, I slowly catch on and adapt to these new stuff and actually become quite proficient and comfortable with them. That's the only saving grace that gets me to try different things sometimes.

Sometimes I wonder if this could be somehow linked to my SA. I'm afraid to interact with "new" people like I'm afraid to try "new" stuff.

TableFor1

I avoid mostly everything. I "made" myself go to the park today to get some sun and draw. It took me more than two hours just to finally leave the house and only stayed at the park for 30 minutes - ugh. I just started to feel funky and exposed, so I came home. Baby steps I guess.

Crowds, restaurants, meetings at work, big cities, concerts, new co workers, no scratch that - all my co workers. People I don't know in general, any social functions except the obligatory funeral of a relative or someone i took the time to know. I also avoid stores and church.

Subpop

I know I avoid situations where I may have to take a 'lead' role. I struggle to find the confidence to lead people. In a lot of situations I can back away from wanting to assume responsibility for things as there is a long history of things going wrong when I do. Things have gone right too, however people, myself included, often readily remember when things don't go to plan than when they do. Over time I have developed a pattern of avoiding situations that are even remotely out of my comfort zone.

rosewood

online posts to forums such as this where people will read my reply (yikes-Scary!!!)
so here I am forcing myself,...eek.
social interactions
large crowds
small spaces
online classes
public speaking (I almost fainted one time)
job interviews with multiple applicants in the room together (I momentarily blacked out during one and when I came to, I apparantly had said things while I was blacked out in response to a question about customer service, could tell from the look on the interviewers face it was a huge failure but I kept on like nothing happened)
online dating when single- out of the question
speaking to a teacher in class in front of others
speaking to other students in class
private chat scares me, but i will try anyway....lol!
interacting socially with neighbors

Last edited:

Kiwong

supermarkets
newsagents
meetings
workshops
chemists
petrol service stations
shops
eye contact
conversations
conflict
neighbours
invitations to clubs, pubs.
parties, picnics, BBqs, afternnoon and mornings, work farwells

hidwell

supermarkets
newsagents
meetings
workshops
chemists
petrol service stations
shops
eye contact
conversations
conflict
neighbours
invitations to clubs, pubs.
parties, picnics, BBqs, afternnoon and mornings, work farwells

That's quite some list Kiwong !

Onimaru

I avoid going to parties and events with lots of people...
eye contact at times
invitations
driving
trying new things
pretty much lots of things in which i feel i will fail or look like a fool

ugh...i really need to change all this heheh..

BlueWeepingRose

I avoid fights or arguments. They drain me. Anything too stressful.
I deal with problems if they come, but they stress me out. I hate fights and people yelling.
Parties or Bars. Too crowded and noisey. Rather go to a park.
Alcohol. Or being around alcohol.
Rude People. I tend to keep them away from me.

laure15

I avoid people more so than I avoid things. Things don't scream at you, embarass you, or bully you. People do. I avoid aggressive people, bullies, fights, and arguments.