What book are you currently reading?

MikeyC

Here's my sexy eyes with the book I'm reading.

IMG_1166_zpsca3f6269.jpg

I had to take it at a different angle than my original one to avoid a possibly offensive poster in the background.

Anyway, it's about a device that destroys all firearms from a distance, and how to roll it out among the American public. A fictional story about the politics of the whole thing, and if it's going to be used for good or evil.

I'm not really following the technical jargon of the book - of which there's a whole lot - but overall it's actually a very engaging book with some great writing. It's involving the President of the United States a lot, and the inventors and other scientists and government officials, and all their struggles to keep it in the right hands. Very gripping, even if it's not usually the book I go for.

On a side-note, everyone here reads faster than I do. You're all way more of a book-worm than I'll ever be. :)

Earthcircle

I am reading How Everyone Became Depressed, by Shorter who argues for a revival of the old medical category of neurasthenia and its fundamental distinction from psychotic depression. I wish that more people in this forum would read this book, because I suspect that most of us here are neurasthenic, and the old Victorian treatments really make a lot more sense than anything that came along later.

How Everyone Became Depressed: The Rise and Fall of the Nervous Breakdown - Edward Shorter - Google Books

Phoenixx

9780385738767.jpg

Finished The Maze Runner last night (started it last week) and then started this sequel today. This series is a lot better than I thought it would be. I originally bought The Maze Runner months ago, but never got around to reading it until now. I liked it so much, while I was in Kalamazoo I went to Barnes and Noble there and bought The Scorch Trials since I had a little bit of a gift card to use up. Really liking it so far. :)

41d1CReRNYL.jpg

I started this today, but I doubt I'm going to finish it. It's a bit hard to read, pretty tragic. Might set it aside for another time.

It is hard to read, but I think it's worth it in the end. I haven't gotten up the chutzpah to watch the movie, though, and I don't think I ever will. It's one thing to read about it, but to see it... that's a bit too much for me. The author has another book called Lucky which is about her own rape in college. I read it right after finishing The Lovely Bones and it actually helped me get through the sadness of TLB better. I know that sounds really weird and creepy and mean, but Sebold's spirit and sense of humor are amazing and reassuring.

Anyway, I'm reading this...

E13661.jpg

Phoenixx

It is hard to read, but I think it's worth it in the end. I haven't gotten up the chutzpah to watch the movie, though, and I don't think I ever will. It's one thing to read about it, but to see it... that's a bit too much for me. The author has another book called Lucky which is about her own rape in college. I read it right after finishing The Lovely Bones and it actually helped me get through the sadness of TLB better. I know that sounds really weird and creepy and mean, but Sebold's spirit and sense of humor are amazing and reassuring.
^ I really wanted to see the movie, and debated watching it first before reading the book, but as usual I held off and waited to read the book instead. I'm in the middle of a new series now after casting it aside, so I might not come back to it until next year. I didn't realize she had her own biography too, I'll have to look into that.

There's something about reading difficult situations and stories that is oddly fascinating to me, even though I sometimes struggle reading through them (I still end up finishing them eventually!). The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns had similar situations that were a bit difficult to read, but I still managed to get through them and they are some of the best books I've ever read in my life. I still haven't seen the movie for The Kite Runner, and debated watching it because of a particular scene that -- if they included, which I don't see why they wouldn't -- would be pretty disturbing to watch.

squidgee

Yay, school books to analyze. My first one is 'The Quiet American', by Graham Greene. Just finished it and it's actually quite decent in my opinion.

the-quiet-american.jpg

MikeyC

Since I have been feeling bad and needed escapism, I managed to finish a book within four days. That's a lot for some of you, but that is pretty much a world record for me.

From+the+Dead.jpg

Pretty good cop crime thriller.

Ithior

Bought at the airport a few weeks ago because my sister's flight was delayed and I had to wait for her to arrive. Currently a bit after halfway.
140b36c622a032e0b4e66110.L.jpg

When I finish it I'll start reading the second volume of Spice and Wolf.

Also reading Feng Shui for beginners, just want some ideas for the layout of my room.
9789723325935.jpg

GraybeardGhost

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't actually read an actual book in over a year. That's pretty sad for a self-confessed word guy. I buy them, catalog them, stack them up, but that's as far as it goes. I have books everywhere and plenty of time, but I can't seem to find the motivation. I look at them, they look at me, but nothing happens. It's almost like dating.

Silatuyok

I'm embarrassed to admit that I haven't actually read an actual book in over a year. That's pretty sad for a self-confessed word guy. I buy them, catalog them, stack them up, but that's as far as it goes. I have books everywhere and plenty of time, but I can't seem to find the motivation. I look at them, they look at me, but nothing happens. It's almost like dating.

My attention span has gotten so whittled down over the years of staring at screens, that I find it significantly more difficult to get through a book these days. It takes a good amount of willpower and concentration. I bet if you picked one up and just read a few lines here and there you would end up getting sucked in to the story...