The world owes me

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
The world owes me, and the world not delivering to me when it unfairly delivers to everyone else just pisses me off, because the world broke its promise and it's taunting me. In in retaliation for the world being such a dick, I'm going to act like a dick to the world right back--its only fair.

Has this ever been in your head?

The overall unfairness of the world pisses me off too from time to time, specially when someone gets a chance that I feel they don't deserve or when someone wastes an opportunity I wish I could have. But I don't feel the world owes me nothing, and more that a feeling of "vengeance", I end up with a saddening resignation.

JustinDaniel

Wow, could you be a little more on the nose? Everybody feels that way, the real question is what are you feeling? In specific? Every ones heartache is the same, but everyones different.

D

deleted #89

The world owes you or me nothing. You are free to do whatever you want to yourself..... you don't act you stay stuck.

Moa

I've felt this way before. It took me a long time to realize I was wrong.

Sure there are people out there that get lucky, but most people earn what they have. It goes for both money and relationships. You get what you give...

KnuffleBunny

The world owes you or me nothing. You are free to do whatever you want to yourself..... you don't act you stay stuck.

This. There is no promise to anything. You cannot always get what you want and if you can, you have to work for it most of the time. It's hard and it's annoying but it's the truth.

Lea

Banned
I don´t think the world owes me ANYTHING. Why should it, the principle of life is cruel, life does random damage wherever it wants, or rather it happens indiscriminately because the world has no mind. If you go out with the water, then so it is. Many others do.. Why should I be something special, I am a big nothing.

I can believe there is some intelligence in the world, because it has created it intelligently, but despite that it does random damage as well, which means life of us creatures is not so important as we think, it is expendable. Lives of people, plants and animals are very short, and all the time they get replaced by new ones.

I can´t believe there would be some caring God to whom I especially was important. Anyway even like that I am thankful that I was at least allowed to survive till now. It is a miracle actually.

I agree and disagree. It often feels unfair, but it's really not. Look at all other species, the world doesn't give them anything either. As such, being given nothing at all is exactly fair.

I rather like to think that I deserve whatever I do have. And that which I want, deserve to try and get. But if I do not get it, only I can be blamed for that. Opportunity > Vision > Action. No If's or But's.

Ms Cloud

The reward mentality is very dangerous. No one inherently deserves anything, because that would require an absolute scale by which to judge their merit. And that doesn't exist in the natural order of things. Scales of merit only exist as inventions in man-made (e.g. corporate or military) structures.

Last edited:

SPV

The world owes me, and the world not delivering to me when it unfairly delivers to everyone else just pisses me off, because the world broke its promise and it's taunting me. In in retaliation for the world being such a dick, I'm going to act like a dick to the world right back--its only fair.

Has this ever been in your head?

This thought crossed my mind plenty of times and still does. But I don't think it is right to act rude, believe me, from my personal experience I've had people treat me bad in return for me acting abrupt and rude what with all the anger I feel inside me. It will all just be over in time.
That's what I had to do basically, just wait until the feeling passes.

polishgirl

Huh.

I guess I've always blamed myself rather than the world.

Exactly the same. It amazes me that some people feel it is someone else's fault they are not happy. YOU decide who you are. It is easier to blame it on others, I know but that's not the case.

vexatiousmind

The world doesn't owe anyone ****. No one owes you anything, and you don't owe anyone else.

Get the thought of anyone owing you anything out of your head.

That's just the way it is.

Don't ever wait around for something or someone else to make things better, you will be waiting forever.

Silatuyok

I was thinking about this on the way home from work, actually. The truth, as far as I'm concerned, is simply that life is unfair. Period.

For example. At work there has been a cat squeezed up as far as she could get herself into the furthest corner of one of our free-roaming cat rooms. She was so scared that I never saw her move for an entire week, and when I tried to reach in and pet her she would just tense up. I couldn't even find her face, because she was so tightly curled up and hiding from the world.
Today, I reached in to scratch her back a little, and she came out of hiding! It turns out she is the sweetest cat, and has absolutely the cutest face I have ever seen. She sat on my lap for about 20 minutes.
This cat...her eyes are cloudy, and she has scabs all over her body from not being given flea medicine. She is too thin, and obviously has some trust issues. Turns out, she has been living in a basement for the past five years, and her owner only just now thought to find a better life for her. The vet says she has low vision and this may be caused by the fact that she has been living with minimal natural light (or any light, for all I know) for the past five years. Now she has a chance for someone to really love her.

The moral of the story is: this cat didn't do anything to deserve her situation. She is a good cat, and as deserving of love and good care as any other living creature. She has nothing but love to give back, despite having been mistreated so terribly. Life was unfair to her. Life is unfair to all the animals that I see every day. Life is unfair, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. It just is. The only thing we can do is try to make it a better world for others and be receptive to good things when we have the opportunity.

Rembrandt Broam

The moral of the story is: this cat didn't do anything to deserve her situation. She is a good cat, and as deserving of love and good care as any other living creature. She has nothing but love to give back, despite having been mistreated so terribly. Life was unfair to her. Life is unfair to all the animals that I see every day. Life is unfair, and there's no rhyme or reason to it. It just is. The only thing we can do is try to make it a better world for others and be receptive to good things when we have the opportunity.

I'd agree with you here if she'd contracted cancer or been born blind or something like that. There is no rhyme or reason to that. We call that "life" but unless you believe in God or fate or karma or something (which personally I really don't) then it's just a series of random events. But you can't put this down to "life", because a human being caused her suffering through their actions (or by the sound of it in this case, their inaction) which I think is entirely different. "Life" or "the world" or however we want to describe it, doesn't owe us anything. It doesn't owe us good luck, good fortune, good health or anything else. You can no more make it fair, than you can make the flip of a coin or the roll of a dice fair. People, on the other hand, do owe us a certain basic level of behaviour and consideration. Life can't be held accountable or made fair, but people and their actions can and should be.

Silatuyok

I'd agree with you here if she'd contracted cancer or been born blind or something like that. There is no rhyme or reason to that. We call that "life" but unless you believe in God or fate or karma or something (which personally I really don't) then it's just a series of random events. But you can't put this down to "life", because a human being caused her suffering through their actions (or by the sound of it in this case, their inaction) which I think is entirely different. "Life" or "the world" or however we want to describe it, doesn't owe us anything. It doesn't owe us good luck, good fortune, good health or anything else. You can no more make it fair, than you can make the flip of a coin or the roll of a dice fair. People, on the other hand, do owe us a certain basic level of behaviour and consideration. Life can't be held accountable or made fair, but people and their actions can and should be.

But they are not, and that's the unfair part.

Moa

Well sadly the cat couldn't do anything to help itself. I'm glad the owner finally brought it in.

But people CAN help themselves. If we don't set goals for ourselves and strive to meet them, the odds of something good happening to us are slim to none.

Beatmetrics

Hmmm! Life is always unfair but just be fair to yourself and things should be fine. That is the kinda attitude ya kinda carry with you.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I feel a bit guilty now. In truth, my original post isn't how I feel at all. It's the result of a conversation I was having with another SPW member, and it sums up a certain mentality I've seen a lot of on here. I wondered how people would react if I stated it plainly.

For myself I've never felt I deserved or was owed anything, and I have trouble understanding that line of thought.

I can tell you though, a major problem with that way of thinking is that there is no 'the world'. That's a simplistic and anthropomorphic way of looking at things. It's all separate pieces acting independently. The world doesn't make promises, or taunt, or as a rule care about you one way or the other. Reacting to it as such in reality ends up meaning you punish person A for something person B did to you, perpetuating the cycle.

It's human nature to take things personally which are not. It's also human nature to anthropomorphize everything around us. We see sentient spirits in volcanoes and hurricanes. We can't be bothered to watch cartoons about animals that haven't been given human traits. We beg and plead with our cars to start, and threaten our freakin' toasters if they burn the toast. We know the toaster isn't quivering in fear and striving to do better, but it's in our nature.

I guess what I'm saying is: it really doesn't help to yell at the toaster.