Telling someone she has a great smile

nightcrawler

If you're female and a guy tells you that you have a great smile how would you feel? Obviously everyone's different, but is it creepy? Is it simply what it is - a compliment? Am I seriously overthinking this?!?

Anyway, I'm a postman and deliver to lots of shops. In one shop where this girl works I always give the post to her. She always smiles at me when I come in, and after she's had a quick look through the letters she always looks back up at me and gives me this great smile...and I'm dying to tell her that she has a great smile but don't know if I should :idontknow:

MikeyC

Telling a woman she has a great smile doesn't have to have any sexual attachments to it. You're just complimenting her on a feature she has that you find lovely. I'm sure she'd really appreciate it and it would make her day. My suggestion is that you should just go for it. :)

nightcrawler

Well I tend to blush really quickly and that's kinda uncomfortable.. but it's still nice to get a compliment :) the level of creepiness depends on how you say it. If you don't give her a creepy smile (see link) while you're saying it you should be fine! :thumbup: :bigsmile:

http://travisgaiser.files.wordpress.com/2012/03/creepysmile.jpg

To be honest I'm more likely to blush than her! I'm always friendly with her so it shouldn't come across as creepy - at least not like in that pic in your link! :bigsmile:

Lamb

As mentioned above, I think it depends on your tone of voice and facial expression for it to come off as creepy sounding. Majority of the time it's accepted as a compliment, plus she's probably heard it before. I say go for it!

IntheLabyrinth

I think it all depends on the girl. I think really superficial, stuck up girls will think it's creepy if they are not attracted to the guy, but in your case I bet she isn't that kind of girl and she is probably into you, so she will be flattered.

Phoenixx

I think you should go for it, too. :thumbup: I've been told before I had a great smile, by an older guy, and it was really a general compliment which I completely appreciated. No creepiness involved, he wasn't flirting, just a simple positive statement. I did blush, but I usually do when people randomly compliment me or even talk to me for that matter.

nightcrawler

Thanks for all of your replies guys :thumbup:

No she's definitely not stuck up, superficial or anything like that - in fact I'd say she's very down to earth. I don't think she even wears any make-up. Any suggestions for the actual wording are appreciated. At the moment I'm going with something like "Can I just say you have a really nice smile...", then quickly followed with something funny (like I've embarrassed myself :blushing:) so there's no awkward pauses in the conversation, say bye and leave!

Anyway, if I do pluck up the courage to say it I'll definitely come back here and post what happened. What was that line from "We bought a zoo"?..."sometimes all you need is 20 seconds of insane courage, just literally 20 seconds of just embarrassing bravery and I promise you something great will come of it."

jaim38

You can say, "Did you know you have a really nice smile?" and she'll say something like "Really? thank you." And then you can smile and follow up with something funny.

nightcrawler

Nothing to add yet I'm afraid. I delivered post there today, and she was there, but there were customers nearby and I wasn't saying it in front of an audience! Will try again Monday...

Hellhound

Super Moderator
It's not creepy, but I personally don't like that kind of compliments.

However, I'm a grump, this girl probably isn't. You should go for it.

laure15

If someone tells me I have a great smile, I would not believe that person. I think I look better when I'm not smiling compared to when I do. Smiling makes me look fatter.