rate the last film you watched

Silatuyok

The Hobbit: Desolation of Smaug---8/10.

I wasn't expecting to be so entertained by this movie. I even enjoyed the completely extraneous love triangle. You really have to regard it as an entirely separate entity from the book, or else you won't enjoy it. It was cute and funny, and especially fun in 3D.

Silatuyok

The Princess Bride--10/10. After re-watching this classic for the millionth time last night, I'm amazed at how funny and perfect it still is.

Phoenixx

Cowboys & Aliens -- 4/10

I don't even know what to say about this movie. Simple storyline, I felt like there was barely a plot, no explanations at all, I basically was just watching a bunch of people dressed up as cowboys attempting to fight off aliens during Western times. As much as I like the cast (Olivia Wilde, Paul Dano, Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig), this movie did no justice for them and it was hard for me to even enjoy their characters. Not a film I would go out of my way to watch again. I didn't get it. :idontknow:

Klonoa

Cowboys & Aliens -- 4/10

I don't even know what to say about this movie. Simple storyline, I felt like there was barely a plot, no explanations at all, I basically was just watching a bunch of people dressed up as cowboys attempting to fight off aliens during Western times. As much as I like the cast (Olivia Wilde, Paul Dano, Harrison Ford, Daniel Craig), this movie did no justice for them and it was hard for me to even enjoy their characters. Not a film I would go out of my way to watch again. I didn't get it. :idontknow:

I'd give that movie an 8/10, but for different altogether reasons: One might just rename the movie "Lunar Knights: THE MOVIEEEE" and go along with it.

(For the ones who don't know, Lunar Knights is a Nintendo DS game, a spin-off of the GameBoy Advance Boktai Trilogy by Konami, which has spaghetti western characters hunting vampires. Lunar Knights adds aliens and spaceships to the mix. And guns that show hologram thingies like the bracelet gun in Cowboys and Aliens).

Again, I might be bias, I simply love the Spaghetti Western genre over most other genres, and I got to see the filming of this movie (or part of it) during my staying at New Mexico, and I dig anything that embraces Rule of Cool and shamelessly runs away with it with no apology (Van Helsing, Gurren Lagann, etc.)

That and we don't have a big influx of Western films these days. I'd take what I can!

Odo

Banned
Batman (1989)

This movie was so awesome back when I was a kid and people were shaving things into their hair and stuff. I can remember people thinking it was really realistic when compared to the TV show that was still on in reruns.

I loved it so much when it first came out and watching it again I realize it's actually pretty stylish and overall really well done. I love the expressionist design... I think it's probably better than Returns. It was before Tim Burton needed to make every movie about himself.

8/10

montejocarlo

The Host - 6/10

originally, i wanted to give this film a 5/10, but since saoirse ronan did well on her acting and she's really gorgeous, i've decided to give it a 6/10.

the story has many loopholes. i haven't read the book so i'm not sure if it's stephenie meyer's fault or not. but she's also the producer of this movie. so...

Phoenixx

Ice Age: Dawn Of The Dinosaurs -- 6/10

(Yes I've been on a movie watching binge all week.) This was okay. Not as good as the second, and the second wasn't as good as the first either. Still worth a watch, but probably not something I'd over again. That being said I'd still like to see the 4th one just so I can finish the series.

MikeyC

Anchorman 2 - 7/10

The last 20 minutes was kind of dumb, but there were plenty of good lines in it to make it worthy of a cinema visit.

Phoenixx

Anchorman - 8/10

Now I know why everyone raves about this movie. I haven't seen a dumb comedy that was this good in a very long time. About time I watched a film that actually kept me laughing. I loved it, I don't know why I didn't watch it sooner! The cast is great and the other cameos were a nice surprise too. (Seth Rogan, Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson, etc.) This is one I need to add to my movie collection, and now I need to see the second film. :thumbup:

dottie

Anchorman - 8/10

Now I know why everyone raves about this movie. I haven't seen a dumb comedy that was this good in a very long time. About time I watched a film that actually kept me laughing. I loved it, I don't know why I didn't watch it sooner! The cast is great and the other cameos were a nice surprise too. (Seth Rogan, Ben Stiller, Luke Wilson, etc.) This is one I need to add to my movie collection, and now I need to see the second film. :thumbup:

upon your recommendation i will add this to my netflix queue!

Geo

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. 2/10. Terrible. I could not even watch the whole thing because I was so bored I kept daydreaming more interesting stuff, so I just stopped watching. The first one I give 6/10. Liked it a lot more, but still didn't live up to the book's expectations.

Anchorman - 8/10

Yeah, exactly. It's another dumb comedy that you might pass over, expecting it to be just like all the other dumb (ie lame) comedies, but Anchorman is surprisingly hilarious. I've watched it a number of times and it never gets old.

Phoenixx

Percy Jackson: Sea of Monsters. 2/10. Terrible. I could not even watch the whole thing because I was so bored I kept daydreaming more interesting stuff, so I just stopped watching. The first one I give 6/10. Liked it a lot more, but still didn't live up to the book's expectations.
^ I couldn't bring myself to like the first movie in the slightest. I loved the series a lot, so when the movie came out I was pretty excited for it. Talk about a HUGE disappointment, and the casting was terrible. (Logan Lerman as Percy Jackson was the only good choice, imo.) :thumbdown: I doubt I'll even bother with the second film. That was my least favorite book in the series anyway.

Klonoa

Prince of Persia: The Sands of Time - 8/10

This movie serves as proof videogame movies don't necesarily have to suck. Much like the Sonic the Hedgehog movie, this isn't a retelling of the game it's names as, but rather a re-imagining and re-interpretation of it that still carries the soul and feeling of the source material, as well various nudges and nods to it.

The overall plot is a broad strokes representation of the "Sands of Time" game overall plot, with various liberties and scenarios.

I'm also still super astonished at how much Jake Gyllenhaal looks like the videogame character he represents:

Prince_of_Persia_poster.jpg
14901.jpg

My only major gripe with this movie was that this version of The Prince was given the name "Dastan" (which is Persian for Trickster, I believe?), while in the games proper, he's never given a name, just called The Prince, to keep more mystery to his character.

But I'd imagine that wouldn't work for mainstream audiences...

... Hey, I just noticed, in both the Sonic movie and the PoP movie, the original creators (in Sonic's side being Sonic Team, and in PoP's side Jordan Mechner) were involved through the production as producers and consultants.

I guess that's the key for a good Game-to-Movie conversion?

MikeyC

The Wolf of Wall Street. 8/10

Long, long movie, but well worth it. Lots of nudity, sex, and drugs, so I guess it's more of a male-targeted audience.