rate the last film you watched

Ree

Delivery Man; I give it a 5 out of 5. Was funny without being too cheesy or stupid :) was a nice story too

Ree

I saw Grand Budapest Hotel the other day, which I'd been highly anticipating. It was darker than the other Wes Anderson films I've seen––there was more violence and bloodshed than I thought there would be ... which isn't really something I enjoy watching, although most of it was still done in a humorous way and it wasn't too graphic. There was also kind of a weird "story within a story within a story" thing going on which I didn't really see the point of, and I think it just made the film drag out a bit too long. But like Anderson's other films, I thought it had a great script, a bunch of fun characters, and it was visually very striking. Not my favorite of his, but still very good. 8.5/10.

I've been wanting to watch this movie! I love weird-ish movies like that :)

FountainandFairfax

in a VAN down by the RIVER
Her - 8.5

A very good movie, well-written with a good cast (Chris Pratt is fast becoming one of my favorite actors, even though he's only in a supporting role here) everyone knows what it's about, so I won't rehash it. Don't watch it in the middle of the day though, as you'll find yourself ruminating. I'd watch it a few hours before bed instead.

MikeyC

Her - 8.5

A very good movie, well-written with a good cast (Chris Pratt is fast becoming one of my favorite actors, even though he's only in a supporting role here) everyone knows what it's about, so I won't rehash it. Don't watch it in the middle of the day though, as you'll find yourself ruminating. I'd watch it a few hours before bed instead.
It definitely makes you think, although those "sex" scenes were...uncomfortable.

The Other Woman - 7.5/10

I would never have seen this if it wasn't for my girlfriend demanding it, so we went and I actually enjoyed it. No points for plot originality, or even believability, but it delivered laughs and that's all that matters. Well worth watching.

I just saw a documentary called "Teenage Paparazzo"
9 of 10
I loved it. Adrian Grenier from Entourage makes a documentary about a paparazzo who's only 13 years old and makes a living out of it already. I've started to respect paparazzos more after this movie, didn't think I ever would

FountainandFairfax

Sling Blade - 9

A mentally handicapped man is released from an institution, where he's been housed for committing murder as a child. He rejoins his small town's society, befriending a young boy from a troubled home in the process.

Billy Bob Thornton stars and directs, and he does a fantastic job at both. It's a great movie that avoids all the cinematic cliches and cynical angles that usually bog down films dealing with this type of serious subject matter.

Another highly recommended film.

Last edited:

MollyBeGood

Nymphomaniac 1 and made it through just half of 2 - 4/10

Lars Von Trier directed. I didn't like these at all, however. Antichrist was much better.

Maybe it was the whole fly fishing references in the first one?
Maybe I just don't like the main actress much? I know I am not a Christian Slater fan so meh.
I found the "love" story angle so hard to believe and the sex in general was boring. Both movies were just a bore. I watched another flick by the same name and it was much better.
Don't waste your time on these.

MollyBeGood

Sling Blade - 9

A mentally handicapped man is released from an institution, where he's been housed for committing murder as a child. He rejoins his small town's society, befriending a young boy from a troubled home in the process.

Billy Bob Thornton stars and directs, and he does a fantastic job at both. It's a great movie that avoids all the cinematic cliches and cynical angles that usually bog down films dealing with this type of serious subject matter.

Another highly recommended film.

One of my favorite films ever!!!

I miss John Ritter :(

You are just now seeing it?

planemo

Watched the TMNT movie. The original from 1990. Funny how when I was a kid I didn't realise how cheesy most of it was. But it brought back good memories and I'll give it a 8/10.

FountainandFairfax

One of my favorite films ever!!!

I miss John Ritter :(

You are just now seeing it?

I miss Ritter, too. I grew up watching "Three's Company" and he was always one of my favorite comedic actors.

Yes, I'm just now seeing it. ha ha

It was one of those movies that I put-off, and put-off, and put-off until I forgot about it. Then I saw a meme the other day that reminded me of it so I finally got around to seeing it.

MollyBeGood

I miss Ritter, too. I grew up watching "Three's Company" and he was always one of my favorite comedic actors.

Yes, I'm just now seeing it. ha ha

It was one of those movies that I put-off, and put-off, and put-off until I forgot about it. Then I saw a meme the other day that reminded me of it so I finally got around to seeing it.

Yay Three's Company was so wrong but I loved it as a child!

Dwight Yokam Wow-He played such a good Basstard! Loved him getting chopped-up. And Billy Bob was A-Friggin-mazing...the little boy was so perfect and his Mom, great cast.

I have seen it about 10 times I think LoL

MikeyC

Transcendence - 7/10

Not usually the sort of movie I would go and see but I did like the premise of it. I liked the wavering opinions you have of the characters throughout the movie. Leaves you thinking at the end, which is nice. Enjoyable movie, but maybe not one I'd see a second time.

Odo

Banned
Pixote - 9/10

It's an early 80s film about street children in this sort of boy's prison in Sao Paulo... and it's pretty much as horrifying as you would imagine it to be. I've been thinking about it all day. It's definitely not a movie for children, even though it's about them.

Nanita

In a World
5/10

Lake Bell is funny and lovely to look at. This movie has so much potential. The actors are all doing a good job and some of them are really funny. But to me this just felt like a mess of unfinished scenes. A shame really.

Nanita

Nymphomaniac 1 and made it through just half of 2 - 4/10

Lars Von Trier directed. I didn't like these at all, however. Antichrist was much better.

Maybe it was the whole fly fishing references in the first one?
Maybe I just don't like the main actress much? I know I am not a Christian Slater fan so meh.
I found the "love" story angle so hard to believe and the sex in general was boring. Both movies were just a bore. I watched another flick by the same name and it was much better.
Don't waste your time on these.

I don't even want to watch this movie. I didn't like Antichrist and I hated Melancholia so I sort of gave up on Lars Von Trier. I love his earlier movies like Dancer in the Dark and The Idiots.
But yeah no...... especially Melancholia was such a dissapointment for me.

Lars Von Trier is from my country btw...... :bigsmile:

MollyBeGood

I don't even want to watch this movie. I didn't like Antichrist and I hated Melancholia so I sort of gave up on Lars Von Trier. I love his earlier movies like Dancer in the Dark and The Idiots.
But yeah no...... especially Melancholia was such a dissapointment for me.

Lars Von Trier is from my country btw...... :bigsmile:

It's funny I hated Melancholia too, and the same I was so excited to see it but found it tedious at best... and after re-watching Antichrist again, I really didn't like it either. The first time I saw it I was still in a very bad relationship so the part with her cutting off his member was not so bad to me then...now it was horrible!

The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug - 8
[No spoilers below]

I watched both An Unexpected Journey and The Desolation of Smaug this afternoon, and I definitely like the second part over the first one. The first was a lot of fun, but it was largely setup and felt like the majority of the movie were random events - albeit entertaining random events.

The Desolation of Smaug feels more focussed and driven from the get go, and to me felt a lot more like Lord of the Rings than the first did. I realize they're not necessarily supposed to be similar, but I appreciated it non the less.

And even though it's a tiny spoiler to say so, I love how much character and charisma they gave to Smaug. He became one of my top favourite fantasy setting villains almost immediately.