Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

polishgirl

Not very good at consoling/comforting people. Mum's friend died this evening, and I don't really know what I'm supposed to do/say. So I suspect I'll just do what I do in every situation and ignore things and remain quiet.

My best friend's sister just got seriously injured in a car accident. I am not good at stuff like this either but I would imagine just listening is the best you can do. Don't repeat the cliche "everything will be okay" because you simply don't know and I would guess it only gets somebody more frustrated. I would want to talk to someone who can listen to what I have come through and what I am feeling. I don't think they are looking for any comfort, I think they are looking for understanding.

MikeyC

I'd say that is pretty selfless. A fantastic quality, if you ask me.

There are SO MANY people that would brush off the phone call as ''no big deal'' when they have problems of their own. You however, put your friend above yourself when it was necessary. Not acting like you did to throw him some nice words, but you actually put him in front of yourself.

So, if I ever see you in real life, remind me to buy you a box of cookies for this. ;3 <3
Ah, well, thank you. He called again today and I think he's keen to see me, so I'll be doing that soon enough. He has more issues than I do, I reckon, so it's best to listen to him when he talks.

I would greatly appreciate the cookies, though. :D

I am reading a book at the moment about anxiety and overcoming it.

My work has started getting stressful so decided to read up on ways to manage stress and anxiety.

One of the chapters is called Being Assertive........it has completely hit the nail on the head for me! I definitely need to be more assertive, in work, with friends and family, with everything!

So for 2012 this is an area I am going to work on:)

Assertivity Training? ;)

Srijita52

Not very good at consoling/comforting people. Mum's friend died this evening, and I don't really know what I'm supposed to do/say. So I suspect I'll just do what I do in every situation and ignore things and remain quiet.
I can relate, it always happens to me when I want to help but don't know how, so it usually turns pretty awkward and I come off as rude/feelingless.
I think just being with her and listening to her if she wants to talk can help. I'm sorry to hear about it though, loosing a friend is definitely very upsetting.

Aletheia

tea and sympathy

^ I feel panicky when I want to help someone but I'm not sure how.

I'm sure the tea will be appreciated though. It often helps just to know someone cares.

DeadmanWalking

I was walking to the store and, on my way, I hear someone yelling. I turn my head and I saw a guy leaning out the window of his car yelling at someone. So, then he turns around and drives past me and yells at me:rolleyes:. I hope that he didn't turn around just to yell at me. Good thing I was listening to my music or I would've facepalmed so hard I 'd have made this headache worse. What's happened to people these days?

MikeyC

I was walking to the store and, on my way, I hear someone yelling. I turn my head and I saw a guy leaning out the window of his car yelling at someone. So, then he turns around and drives past me and yells at me:rolleyes:. I hope that he didn't turn around just to yell at me. Good thing I was listening to my music or I would've facepalmed so hard I 'd have made this headache worse. What's happened to people these days?
Eh, don't worry about it, mate. I've had the same thing happen to me. Once a friend and I were walking down the street and we had eggs thrown at us from a passing car, for absolutely no reason. Don't sweat it, mate.

megalon

I feel like I come across as a jerk on this forum sometimes. I post my depressed whining and ranting, others reply and try to cheer me up and just let me know there may be someone who cares and I usually don't even acknowledge them. I've been too uncomfortable to say thanks in the past. I've decided to change this. This is a collective thank you to anyone who has tried to make me or anyone else on this forum feel better. I'm very grateful for what you do and this forum wouldn't be the same without people like you. You know who you are, the usual suspects. Deadman, Mikeyc, Pheonixx, coyote and many others.

MikeyC

I feel like I come across as a jerk on this forum sometimes. I post my depressed whining and ranting, others reply and try to cheer me up and just let me know there may be someone who cares and I usually don't even acknowledge them. I've been too uncomfortable to say thanks in the past. I've decided to change this. This is a collective thank you to anyone who has tried to make me or anyone else on this forum feel better. I'm very grateful for what you do and this forum wouldn't be the same without people like you. You know who you are, the usual suspects. Deadman, Mikeyc, Pheonixx, coyote and many others.
You're welcome, mate. I'm glad I could help you in any way. :)

Phoenixx

^ You don't come off as a jerk at all, megalon. It's common to feel uncomfortable when acknowledging others, I think. I know I've felt that way in the past before, and I'm sure many others have, so try not to kick yourself for it.
Glad I could be of some help to you. :)

DeadmanWalking

Oh.....um, thank you::eek::. I'm not really complimented like that, so thanks! I'm glad that I could help you! Also, don't feel bad about yourself! You should check out my journal! There's so much whining in there that you'll be intoxicated by the end of the second page::p:! SPW is here for you to get that stuff off of your chest, that way it isn't eating you alive! So, if you need to whine or rant, do it and we'll be here to help you solve your problems:)!

vj288

not actually Fiona Apple
tumblr_lpikksWsbw1qzfv9eo1_500.jpg

Aww, I do that to people all the time. Sorry people who try to talk to me, I really do find you very interesting!

#7, good point.

AsTimeBurns

Sometimes I wonder why I continue playing the drums....

Cos without the drums, bands would lack any sense of rhythm or timing. The guitarists and singers may get all the girls and the fame and the money and the cars and the... Wait... Well anyway, we drummers have the moral victory of knowing we're important even when no-one else recognises it.