Post your random thoughts/feelings etc

A lot of unhappiness stems from wanting more when you have something perfectly good already - it's the old "be grateful for what you have." That's not to say that there aren't times you really do need more or something is missing. I don't know if it's just our happiness-obsessed consumer culture, or humans have always been this way.

Also, I think some peoole just have a baseline of unhappiness they return to, just as some have a baseline of contentment or positive feelings. I used to think I COULD be "happy" (or rather, content) if I only had more friends, or less anxiety, or whatever. Maybe I would be, I don't know. I'm starting to think, though, that my baseline is discontentment. Whether it's due to upbringing or genetics or - likely - a mixture of both, I don't know, but for years I've had a nagging feeling of not-enough-ness and wanting more, mostly in the way of relationships. Sometimes the restless frustrated sadness feels almost unbearable. I do want more :(

It's interesting, though, thinking of our "more" culture. T-Mobile's slogan for a while was "Get more." We often see advertisements saying things like "more of what you want, less of what you don't" or "More travel. Less hassle." The phrase "more for your money" is commonly heard. I'm sure the examples are infinite. All of this more is designed to make you feel like you don't have enough, for obvious reasons (you know, capitalism, marketing... the whole shebang). So how do you actually feel satisfied in life when bombarded with daily messages that there is always that something more you need? You can recognize the lie and the tricks, but the effect is also subconscious and there's nothing you can do about that except move to the sticks.

Last edited:

DarkPhoenix

It's been a while since I posted here, I check in from time to time when im not doing so well. So... I guess im not doing so well...

Megaten

My professors want me to get more comfortable with interacting with hospital patients so I keep getting picked to draw blood from the talking dummy while they observe my progress. I got so nervous I knocked over a bin of dirty needles lol...watching my classmates do it, they engage in small talk so easily its stupid. It just comes second nature to them so they dont have to think about it. I have to consciously will myself to say "goodbye" or "have a nice day". Kinda wish I would have developed differently growing up, as school is stressful enough on its own without having social problems on top of it.

nodejesque

A lot of unhappiness stems from wanting more when you have something perfectly good already - it's the old "be grateful for what you have." That's not to say that there aren't times you really do need more or something is missing. I don't know if it's just our happiness-obsessed consumer culture, or humans have always been this way.

Also, I think some peoole just have a baseline of unhappiness they return to, just as some have a baseline of contentment or positive feelings. I used to think I COULD be "happy" (or rather, content) if I only had more friends, or less anxiety, or whatever. Maybe I would be, I don't know. I'm starting to think, though, that my baseline is discontentment. Whether it's due to upbringing or genetics or - likely - a mixture of both, I don't know, but for years I've had a nagging feeling of not-enough-ness and wanting more, mostly in the way of relationships. Sometimes the restless frustrated sadness feels almost unbearable. I do want more :(

It's interesting, though, thinking of our "more" culture. T-Mobile's slogan for a while was "Get more." We often see advertisements saying things like "more of what you want, less of what you don't" or "More travel. Less hassle." The phrase "more for your money" is commonly heard. I'm sure the examples are infinite. All of this more is designed to make you feel like you don't have enough, for obvious reasons (you know, capitalism, marketing... the whole shebang). So how do you actually feel satisfied in life when bombarded with daily messages that there is always that something more you need? You can recognize the lie and the tricks, but the effect is also subconscious and there's nothing you can do about that except move to the sticks.

We are a society forever in pursuit of happiness. But I don't think that exists. We have happy moments, and that's it. A state of complete happiness is impossible, I think.

I think that this is more common here in the U.S. we are a culture of instant gratification and consumerism is a way of life. We idolize celebrities and pray to the kardashians. Not all of us, but in general... The masses lead that way.

However, I notice that when I've traveled to other countries... Happiness takes on different meanings. I think, as you stated, one can easily recognize the gimmicks and tricks used to break down an individuals confidence and keep us wanting more...
Having had the opportunity to experience different cultures and values helped me put things in perspective about what happiness means to me. Ultimately it is all subjective, and the complexity of the issues that keep us wanting more varies on an individual basis.

You don't have to move to the sticks to avoid falling prey to that way of thinking, but with everything going on here... I'd say the sticks are looking pretty damn good to me:)

nodejesque

I just found out that a friend from when I was a child, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She's 27 and has a two year old daughter. She's also the type of person who's always so happy and willing to give of herself for others. I had no idea she had been struggling this past year with health issues... And now breast cancer. I don't know what to do to help.

Because I didnt keep in contact with anyone from my past, I didn't know. Her mom contacted my mom on Facebook. I feel horrible. I hate generic sentiments, and feel horrible about reaching out at a time when she probably feels the most vulnerable. But I also don't want to let it go without offering help.

I just don't know what to say... Do I call her? What do I say? How do I offer help?

I feel like an ******* for not keeping in touch. I didn't keep in touch with anyone. At all.

Anyway... That's what's on my mind. Her and her baby.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole

This is exactly why I don't own a TV

We are a society forever in pursuit of happiness. But I don't think that exists. We have happy moments, and that's it. A state of complete happiness is impossible, I think.

I think that this is more common here in the U.S. we are a culture of instant gratification and consumerism is a way of life. We idolize celebrities and pray to the kardashians. Not all of us, but in general... The masses lead that way.

However, I notice that when I've traveled to other countries... Happiness takes on different meanings. I think, as you stated, one can easily recognize the gimmicks and tricks used to break down an individuals confidence and keep us wanting more...
Having had the opportunity to experience different cultures and values helped me put things in perspective about what happiness means to me. Ultimately it is all subjective, and the complexity of the issues that keep us wanting more varies on an individual basis.

You don't have to move to the sticks to avoid falling prey to that way of thinking, but with everything going on here... I'd say the sticks are looking pretty damn good to me:)

Hey thanks for the response node, and I agree with you about happiness being found in moments rather than a constant state, and that happiness is also relative, personally- and culturally-speaking.

Kiwong

Hey thanks for the response node, and I agree with you about happiness being found in moments rather than a constant state, and that happiness is also relative, personally- and culturally-speaking.

I was listening to a radio show about this, and it was described as the utopia complex, with people expecting to reach some mythical place of happiness, and being disappointed when their lives fall short of Utopia.

No Cookies | The Advertiser

I have a corny saying that there is no such thing as a happy ever after, only happy ever nows, moments when you win.

Last edited:

State_Of_Trance

I feel paranoid about buying something expensive and not being happy. Like if I want headphones I think, "Well, maybe I should shell out a few hundred dollars more. I mean, I'll be using them for a while." But the thing is you could always have gotten something more expensive (unless you're actually going completely all out I suppose).

My fantasy is getting rich enough to just flat-out buy the best of what I want and not have to worry that I should have gotten something better.

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
I feel paranoid about buying something expensive and not being happy. Like if I want headphones I think, "Well, maybe I should shell out a few hundred dollars more. I mean, I'll be using them for a while." But the thing is you could always have gotten something more expensive (unless you're actually going completely all out I suppose).

My fantasy is getting rich enough to just flat-out buy the best of what I want and not have to worry that I should have gotten something better.

That's my fantasy as well. Or at least, having enough money to afford moving away from shitty town ah live in.

Though, I'm the same when it comes technology. Be it, headphones or a computer. :giggle:

I just found out that a friend from when I was a child, was diagnosed with breast cancer. She's 27 and has a two year old daughter. She's also the type of person who's always so happy and willing to give of herself for others. I had no idea she had been struggling this past year with health issues... And now breast cancer. I don't know what to do to help.

Because I didnt keep in contact with anyone from my past, I didn't know. Her mom contacted my mom on Facebook. I feel horrible. I hate generic sentiments, and feel horrible about reaching out at a time when she probably feels the most vulnerable. But I also don't want to let it go without offering help.

I just don't know what to say... Do I call her? What do I say? How do I offer help?

I feel like an ******* for not keeping in touch. I didn't keep in touch with anyone. At all.

Anyway... That's what's on my mind. Her and her baby.

People naturally grow apart, and a lot of the time, in my experience at least, there are no hard feelings about it. It just kind of happens, so I wouldn't feel too bad about that specifically.

But I'm sorry to hear about her condition. It must be awful to be at the mercy of such a horrible disease to which the treatment is invasive and equally- if not more, terrible. Especially since there's children involved - what a nightmare.

I can't speak as to what she'd appreciate, but I'm sure that if you're honest about how you feel about losing contact and offer her your assistance if and when she needs it, she'd feel considerably less powerless about the situation.

You may not be able to fight the disease, but you might give her some moral support.

GraybeardGhost

Why do so many people want to destroy the world? Why must they ruin it for everyone else with their fear, hatred, bigotry, and greed? I'm so tired of the mindless vitriol and spiteful lies. I'm sick of the high priests who manufacture this poison and the true believers who pass it around. Enough, already. It's time for a change, time for a great wave to rise and wash this stain from the earth once and for all.

I've read that if we all started to feel content with what we have, how we look, how we feel, the amount in our wallets/bank account, where we live, the clothes we wear, and the house we liven in, then the West's economies would just collapse.
The feeling that we don't have 'enough' or we ourselves are not 'enough' seems to be a constant thought in our minds - like it is a thought that has been stapled to our conscious since childhood.

I have always wondered what constantly occupied the minds of people in ancient tribal communities - that existed before big city states formed.

Once they had collected/hunted enough food for the tribe each day and had sufficient shelter, what thoughts filled their minds for the rest of the day and night?
Were they haunted by expectations within the tribe, like we are within our society, but just different ones?

Did they ever get to a point in the day/night where they thought they have done enough to 'earn' their existence within the tribe?

I wonder did they even have a word or phrase for being 'happy'?

Got a job at a farm/ranch and moving to another state in the next 48 hrs. Excited and nervous but more excited than nervous :)
It is time for a change in the right direction.
I have become really stagnate mentally and physically though so this will be really challenging for me.
I am looking forward to seeing some new country and meeting new, cool people.
I must be a gypsy as often as I have moved!
I have always wanted to work on a farm!
But I have a fear that it could turn out to be one of those things were I am so naïve about it that I really have no idea what it is like in reality and it is nothing like I imagined it would be, lol.

Hoping your move to new state and job brings some well deserved positives in your life for you Molly.:)

[George Harrison]: “…I get confused when I look around at the world, and I see everybody’s running around, and you know, as Bob Dylan said, ‘He not busy being born is busy dying.’ And yet, nobody’s trying to figure out what’s the cause of death, and what happens when you die. I mean that, to me, is the only thing that’s of any importance. The rest is all secondary.”

Megaten

Having really bad multiplayer anxiety right now. Which sucks because gaming is one of my favorite hobbies and I do want more friends and social interaction. If I've friended you and haven't played much with you I am sorry.

Pacific_Loner

Pirate from the North Pole
Very unexpected text message from my boss on a sunday night:

*picture of a huge mushroom*

"Hi (my name), I found this mushroom on the side of the fence in my backyard, do you think I can eat it?"