Post a random fact about yourself...

OneOh1

I have only been to one high school dance, and it was the worst experience of my life. I was left standing in a fierce rain storm, crying alone.

I was the only person from my high school that i know that didn't go to prom :/

I'm bi-curious

I've never had a girlfriend but I was close to a girl for about 1.5 months. She also didn't want to be seen in public with me for some reason (that still hurts when i think about it). that was 3 years ago.

Logical Anxiety

1. I love to draw. (and apparently good at it too.)
2. I like to go crazy on the philosophical stuff whenever I get any chance.
3. I am afraid of big insects like beetles.
4. I have had a bee lounging on my hair before. D:
5. I have an obsession with twisted stories/movies/games/etc. (horror fan right here. :D)

This is so true. They even like to think they know the size of the universe itself for a fact. I'm sure a century from now the scientists of the future will be laughing at our ideas like we laugh at creationism today.

Quite likely. Almost every civilization or rather generation has deemed itself to be the pinnacle of progress and rational thought. Good thing about the current scientific method is that it's relatively honest and less dogmatic. But make no mistake, it's still dogmatic to a degree and it'll always be difficult to go against supposedly established theories.

At any given point, we have conflicting theories to many areas of science and these are often 'resolved' not through pure logic, but through the manipulations of megacorporations and the consumerism lifestyle.

At any rate, not many of us actually understand the things we're using or 'believing'. Like average high-school kids using basic differentiation techniques, we've no idea of why it actually works and cannot formally prove it. We're taking the words of our supposed experts.

How many of us can truly say we understand both the fine points of Creationism and the many proofs needed for the Theory of Evolution? Carbon dating? Geological proofs? Basic paleontology and anatomy? Animal husbandry and Mendel (IIRC)?

Even those who have learned often forget if it's not in their line of work. Or another example, why does the earth go round the sun? What proof and why? Some of us may know it off-hand.. but most will not. Even when we go to the internet, we are simply believing in the experts. Not all of us are like Da Vinci who can actually deduce such things from experience or at least the experience of direct reasoning.

How many of us understand in detail why our cars work? Why airplanes can fly? Maybe the scientists won't be laughing at our theories because they themselves are bogged down with information overload. Unless some new paradigm is achieved, we will all suffer even more information overload and narrowness of specialization. Ironically, we're reverting back to the times just before the Renaissance in Europe.

Then, the common man defers almost completely to the bishops and pope for knowledge of many things. In the future, or even now, we shall call our bishops scientists and the popes shall be the megacorporations. And what preach shall they deliver, pray tell?

I believe that the multiverse theroy is a plausible theory, but the big bang just doesn't do it for me.

1: It was created by a priest ( I know it's judgmental but hey).

2: You cannot simply have nothing then an explosion of particles and gasses that created the known universe today that came from nothing. It's too simplistic to believe. The Scientific community believed not that long ago that there was no "black holes" as we perceive them today. Only after Albert Einstein did the Scientific community say "OH SHI-, NO WAY". It takes someone that can think outside of the whole situation that is presented to them. A free thinker moves humanity on and on instead of just agreeing with a theory.

Which is why I dislike the Scientific community, they present a theory and it is taken as fact. Annoys me.

IIRC, there's two main theories to account for the beginning of the universe.. The steady-state and big bang theory. My prof told us that the steady-state theorists tried to prove their own theory right only to prove the big bang theory correct. Einstein's red and blue shifts showed the motion of celestial objects and I think it was Hubble who discovered these celestial objects to be moving away from one another... In other words, the universe was expanding. Some info from Seti (I think) on cosmic background particles (can't remember actual name) gave more evidence to the idea.

Extrapolating backwards in time, the universe must have been smaller and smaller.. etc.. until it was a point. There are other evidences that are logical but I've forgotten them. I'm recalling this from a decade ago so I forget much of it. But at the time, it does seem the most likely candidate for accounting the beginning.

If you disagree with the Big Bang, what do you think may have happened at the beginning? And what proofs (in layman's language)

^You teach at college??? WOW!! In front of people?... amazing - good for you! What the hell are you doing on this site (not that I don't completely enjoy your company), if you don't mind me asking? :D :p

<3

LookingForward

My Gaelic name means Darkeyed Spearman, but I don't feel much like a warrior at the moment, maybe I should change my name to the Gaelic form of Depressed Waster.

JosephG

I hate waking up in the morning. I find it such a chore and I wish the world revolved around my body clock so I could wake up at a normal time!

I love all areas of science with a particular interest in biochemistry and physiology. I one day hope to work in the medical field so I can help cure people from illness.

As much as I hate shows like X Factor and Pop Idol for what they are doing to the music industry I cannot help but find them contagious and a good watch :p I'm a hypocrite!

I love foreign people - particularly from Eastern Europe. I am fascinated by their language and culture.

I relate better to computers and cats (and dogs too) then I do with people. I know, I know, we all say that.

But seriously, the way computers act makes sense to me (if it were actual lifeforms), and I've never had a communication issue with a cat (or dog) before. Which is odd as their psychological wiring is not exactly what you'd call identical to ours.

Perhaps it's because of the masks many people wear for others and themselves, and my inability to lie (on that level). Both computers and cats are far more direct in my experience. For all intents and purposes, their overall language and way of functioning is just far more transparent.

Oh, oh! I know! Robot kitty!

Last edited:
Coz I've lost my wombat here somewhere::(:

But really, I still have a difficult time and I get the understanding and support that I don't get offline. I've come from where many others are now with their SA - this possibly gives me the perspective to offer help; it also gives me an understanding on the hell I have come through. :)

Cool :D.

i don't shave my legs as often as i should.
i get ingrown hairs too easily. i also bruise extremely easily.
(pale legs covered in bruises and ingrown hairs. sexy!)
i'm very tall. but i think my legs look short and stumpy in skirts.
so... i just wear pants all the time.
i don't like this about myself. i wish i could wear skirts and dresses and feel good.

Bah! I'm sure you look great in skirts and dresses... Pale legs are sexy btw... so creamy and smooth ::eek::

MaliceInWickedland

I have an uncanny obsession with Oreos

small_387x273oreo_overload.jpg

^Mmmmmmmm~ :9

Smurfette

I can't sleep the same, night after night...every now and then I put my pillow to where my feet usually are. I also can't sit in the same place on the couch night after night...I need to switch things up a bit