Phrases or words that irritate you

theoutsider

I hate the term, Baby Bump. I knew the first time I heard it, it was going to be one of those pop culture phrases that are pushed by the media. Every time I hear it I cringe.

I also dislike the word, Swagger with a passion. It used to be cool when I heard a sports team described as having swagger but since it has caught on and so many people have started using it, I now despise it.

I dislike when adults say "Mines" as in, "This is mines." There's no S at the end of it! Just say, "This is mine." Maybe a 4 year old child could get away with it but not a 45 year old!

Pretty much any phrase or saying that's old as dirt where the speaker says it as if they have just discovered this fantastic wealth of knowledge and it's your first time hearing it.

Last edited:

theoutsider

Oh, I forgot about one more:

"What's his face."

When somebody can't remember another's name. How disrespectful and rude.

Metal_isthe_Answer

I agree with op's hatred of "preggers", in that regard I also hate "baby bump"
anyways, I hate:
Cougar (to refer to older women as sexy)
gramatically incorrect slang such as "more better/ more easier"
also find it slightly annoying when people pronounce achronyms like "lol"

''Legos''.

Lego is a brand name, and serves as both singular and plural pronunciation of the word. The individual pieces have individual names, and all together they're referred to their brand name; Lego.

''I walked through my sons room, and now I've got to go to the emergency room because of all the LEGO embedded in my foot.''

Phoenixx

Nice thread! Too bad I'm late, everyone seemed to basically hit all the ones I really don't like either: Preggers/preggo, baby bump, hashtag, bro/brah, yolo, fo sho, mo fo, niggas, other "gangsta" speak.

''no offence'' isn't as bad as ''I'm not a racist, but...'', ''I'm not a homophobe, but...''.
^ Agreed, I hate those too.

I hate when people say "I could care less"
Rather than "I couldn't care less"
^ I used to say this for the longest time, because I didn't know the other way was correct. (couldn't, not could) Talk about embarrassing. :blushing:

*nervous he says too many of the phrases in this thread*
^ Yeah me too. "Om nom" and "calm your tits" are pretty frequent in my vocabulary. :bigsmile:

I was talking with my preggo cousin about this the other day. She lives near me and she’s a stay-at-home mum, so I get to talk to her a lot. Her kiddos wouldn’t stop bugging us though. “Shut the front door!” – she screamed at the poor kids. I told her, it is what it is…they can’t really help themselves at that age. She was frowning the whole afternoon...eh, whatever. I took them to a local restaurant for dinner anyway, ‘twas fun, om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom, the food was LOVELY, I could swear I was preggers myself after eating that much!

Ah, these family moments make my heart warm, at the end of the day, that’s what matters the most, period.
^ This made me laugh. :giggle:

"are you sure?" especially when people ask it multiple times...one of the few things that pushes all the right buttons (angry buttons). I'm a fairly certain person, when I make a decision that's it.

Phoenixx

''no offence'' isn't as bad as ''I'm not a racist, but...'', ''I'm not a homophobe, but...''.

I saw this on Tumblr today and it reminded me of this post so I'm just going to leave this here:

tumblr_mmlk1tVp1D1qewacoo1_500.jpg

''If you don't like something, don't read/watch/play it.''

And the blatantly more aggravating;

''If you don't like living here, leave..''

1#:

Constructive criticism IS A GOOD THING. Fans of something don't necessarily want to poke holes in their favourite thing, I get that, but asking everyone else to not discuss its flaws holds creative flow and potential improvement at bay. There's a difference between supporting something and worshipping it.

2#:

This is perhaps the dumbest frequently used phrase I know of. Again, there's a difference between support and worship. When something isn't as good or efficient as it could be, it should at least be OPEN FOR DISCUSSION. Interactions, sharing thoughts, comparing one way to another, reviewing all point of views, and then deciding together which is best for the community.

Telling someone to simply leave because it's the most comfortable and least labour intensive method is possibly the laziest and most selfish approach to dealing with this sort of thing. Not to mention disrespectful.

mikebird

Banned
alright? :thumbdown:

any more words, a phrase, a sentence, I'll listen and give respect
When people say the above
anything simple (on the phone)
I resort to violence. Club

The haughty billionaires don't have to say anything
A nod. A wink. I want the person to empty their mind guts into my face. It's what I say to anyone. A poet
Anyone capable of a lot more than "OK?"

The Lost

When people use "then" instead of "than". I've even seen some idiots swap the words round. The English language is dead.