Phrases or words that irritate you

Oizys

When people use "then" instead of "than". I've even seen some idiots swap the words round. The English language is dead.

Don't get me started on your/you're and there/their/they're.

And when people say ''should of'' instead of ''should have''.

SilentBird

"Over-thinking" and "Over-annalysing."

[I had to mispell the second phrase otherwise I would have been censored :eek:mg:]

These phrases have become cliches.

What's wrong with thinking and talking things through? OK, most of the time we are wrong-thinking and getting stuck in repetitive thoughts, but often we can reach a right-thought in the process and gain insight and resolution. This is what I see on this this site. Coyote's posts stand out in this regard.

MBinMN

Hang in there ( will never say again, my nephew Hung himself last September)

Just saying. ( ughhhh drives me batty)

Oh and being called cute ( cute is for puppies, kittens, babies)

Redneck! I hate that word!!!
Dope. The other day while showing a friend my new chainsaw he says "ooh sweet, man, yo, that thing is like dope dude." Newsflash: SPEAK ENGLISH!
I tell it like it is I don't like when I first meet somebody and they say "I tell it like it is". Makes me want to choke them.

SierraSage

I absolutely cannot stand the word "boundaries" when talking about anything other than a fence. I hate it to the point that I cancelled therapy sessions with a social worker who refused to stop using the word, even though I asked her nicely not to several times. The reason I hate it is because it is often unnecessary psychobabble that has no real meaning and could easily be replaced by normal speech. Instead of "I am setting a boundary that people can't be my friend if they stand me up," just say "If people don't show up when we make plans, I stop making plans with them." In other situations, it is nothing more than a way to be mean or cold to someone while making the speaker sound confident or wise. "Person A, I'm setting a boundary that you can't visit me at work anymore" really means "Person A...I know I invited you to stop by my office, but it isn't fun for Me Me Me, the center of the universe, anymore..so I'm pushing you aside." If Person A really has become a problem or it turns out I'm not allowed to have visitors..a simple, normal speech, "Person A, you can't visit me if you're going to disrupt the whole building like that" or "Person A, let's meet somewhere else...the boss doesn't really want me to have visitors" would do.