Phrases or words that irritate you

Graeme1988

Hie yer hence from me heath!
Vajazzle (Essex! It's the only way!) :sarcastic: If yer not familiar with British reality TV, you'll no get that reference, but yer no missing much...
OMG
ROFL
LMFAO
OMG
Ergo
Are ye sure, now?

Oh! And... WTF! Ah think we'll be talkin' in abbreviations in a few years time? :idontknow:

ImNotMyIllness

This is a fabulous thread!

I was talking with my preggo cousin about this the other day. She lives near me and she’s a stay-at-home mum, so I get to talk to her a lot. Her kiddos wouldn’t stop bugging us though. “Shut the front door!” – she screamed at the poor kids. I told her, it is what it is…they can’t really help themselves at that age. She was frowning the whole afternoon...eh, whatever. I took them to a local restaurant for dinner anyway, ‘twas fun, om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom, the food was LOVELY, I could swear I was preggers myself after eating that much!

Ah, these family moments make my heart warm, at the end of the day, that’s what matters the most, period.

Juuuuuuust kidding - wait, WAIT *dodges incoming knives and torches*

Hahahaha! Brilliant!! Best post of the year!

when people refer to their baby as 'baby' rather then 'The baby'
like: 'baby said her first word today' ...'baby needs her nap time'
....'baby did a poop' ...'baby looks hungry' ....its THE baby people!! use the right friggin syntax ffs

People that refer to their computers as ''rigs''. Not even so much that, but more when they try to make it sound 'cool'.

daisydaydreamz

If there is one thing that irritates me, it's when people refer to their evening meal as 'supper'!

When I was young people according to which class they felt they belonged to called it 'dinner' or 'tea'.

I find it amusing when I hear of people inviting each other over for supper, because to me supper is an optional extra light meal consisting of something like bit of cheese on toast or a bowl of cornflakes, just before you go to bed!

Yes... I'm not keen on the word panties either, yet knickers sounds old fashioned. I think I prefer pants, so much more down to earth.... Oh, dear then we have the problem of confusing our American friends who insist on calling trousers pants!

...that's just brought to mind a really horrible word.... slacks!

GraybeardGhost

That, when used as a relative pronoun in reference to a human being. Use who or whom, whichever is appropriate. You're talking about a person, not a potato.

"Me and her," as the subject of a sentence. It's backward, objective, and just plain ignorant.

"Up under," referring to a location that is clearly down from the speaker's point of view.

Whetrock, as used by some of the old guys at the flea market. If you want to sharpen your knife, I'll gladly sell you a whetstone. If you want a wet rock, go jump in the river.

And my all-time least-favorite Southern crackerism: "Do what?" meaning, "What did you say?" This has to be the stupidest expression I've ever heard.

Someday, I really must move back to a civilized part of the country.

This is a fabulous thread!

I was talking with my preggo cousin about this the other day. She lives near me and she’s a stay-at-home mum, so I get to talk to her a lot. Her kiddos wouldn’t stop bugging us though. “Shut the front door!” – she screamed at the poor kids. I told her, it is what it is…they can’t really help themselves at that age. She was frowning the whole afternoon...eh, whatever. I took them to a local restaurant for dinner anyway, ‘twas fun, om nom nom nom nom nom nom nom, the food was LOVELY, I could swear I was preggers myself after eating that much!

Ah, these family moments make my heart warm, at the end of the day, that’s what matters the most, period.

Juuuuuuust kidding - wait, WAIT *dodges incoming knives and torches*

hehehe, loved this :D

I hate all "gangster" lingo. I hate hearing that garbage.
I also dislike "Yolo", hashtagging everything, probably a lot more internet slang that I'm just not thinking of at the moment.

YES.

I hate when people from certain parts of the country use the word "seen" incorrectly, like: "I seen a red car pull out of that driveway". It's SAW or I'VE SEEN, people!

I hate the word "ain't". I know a few people who use it all the time and every time I hear it I cringe a little.

Last edited:

Oizys

As I said, I don't like the word ''panties'', I usually say knickers (I'm Irish), pants or underwear. Also fanny, that doesn't mean butt here, so I get a good laugh when Americans say ''fanny pack''. I also cannot stand the word ''ya'll''. ''Lezzers'' or ''Lezzies'' is another that bothers me.

And now to bad habits. There's nothing as frustrating as sending a long message to somebody, either by text or email etc, and the only response you get is ''k''.

Also text speak. It drvs me up da wall wen ppl type like dis cuz its qwkr. If u hav 2 type like dis online 2 sav tym den u shudnt b online. I can see where the habit came from though, when I was in school I had to keep text messages as short as possible to save credit, long messages would cost double because it takes up two messages to send, so when I started coming online, I typed in text speak, but I copped on as I got older haha.

Kiwong

Weasel speak for example

''As members of the Department of , it is important that we all demonstrate behaviours reflective of both the organisational aspirations of the Department, and the specific work accountabilities, deliverables and outputs of which we are individually responsible.'

underpin, ramp up, hit the ground running, stakeholders, organisational agility, continuous improvement unit.

Last edited:

5arah

I hate the phrase "bleeding like a stuck pig". I have an appreciation for most southernisms, but that one…just gross.

SpaceGhost

Chill. "Hey we need to chill sometime!"
Yolo.
Incorrect grammar really drives me up a wall. I wish people would know which form of there or your to use when posting on the internet.