Men don't have feelings

thegunners21

I hate this stereotype so much.

OK, story time:

I work at a fast food place and used to eat my lunch there because I was trying to put on weight. Anyways, so one of my female co-workers calls me a fatty jokingly one day because of the amount of food I eat. I understood that it was a joke and took it in good fun.

Fast forward a month, and see her making herself a pretty fattening lunch and I jokingly call her a fatty. She and another female co-worker just went off on me. I explained to them that I was merely joking, similar to how she called me a fatass. She goes on to say that you should never call girls fat because they have feelings. Naturally, I say men have feelings too and they just proceed to laugh at my face.

Now, this pissed me off to no end. This belief that men should "grow a pair" and they don't have feelings. Funny thing is, she is a advocate for feminism. She couldn't be more hypocritical.

Rant over.

I do too have feelings. I stubbed my toe once - it hurt pretty bad.

But joking aside, yeah, it's pretty upsetting to witness gender based stereotypes in this day and age. You'd think we'd be in a state of better harmony and understanding about each other by this point.

PerseverareJasmine

I think that's something unfortunate about society. A lot of people think that men should be this kind of "Macho Man" all of the time. Men are insecure about certain features on their bodies just like women are and they can get affected by insults too. I think more people need to understand that men are not just these "steel creatures" that don't let anything get to them much. When it comes to the female that you described and the joke she made, I don't think she should have dished it out if she couldn't take it. Why should it be okay and acceptable for her to call a man fat, and then its suddenly insulting and outrageous to turn around and call a women fat? It is equally insulting to both genders.

DepravedFurball

Emotions, like hypocrisy, aren't limited to a specific gender...

Granted, in this day and age of blossoming equality, her initial comment to you was completely out of line in the first place, but reciprocation isn't really the way to go.

I understand that her spiteful remark would have stung... but you've gotta be the better person and put it behind you...

Y'know... like the fat that would go straight to her arse. BOOM!

MikeyC

Y'know... like the fat that would go straight to her arse. BOOM!
Oh, zing!

I was recently told that I shouldn't be afraid of spiders because I'm a man. I didn't really like that comment but reigned in my thoughts before I questioned it too much.

I understand that men have been outwardly resilient and strong and apathetic about everything in the past, but I do believe that there is a lessening taboo these days regarding men's emotions. It's slow going, but it's becoming more acceptable for men to reveal their feelings, even to women. I do it all the time, heh. :thumbup:

AGR

I thought I had feelings once.........turns out it was just gas.........

Now men have really bad regarding this and they dont even really realize,its just the way we are,gender certainly have roles to play and women have bad in other areas too,this is unlikely to change,unlike what people think.
The role we get to play is to be the unmovable rock,the conqueror,the leader,cant be unsure of anything......unfortunately I am really bad at playing those.........

Ree

what an @sswipe! Of course men have feelings, they're not made out of stone -_-
She just seems to be a conniving, selfish woman. Feminism is about equality, not one sidedness.

If she called you fat, albeit jokingly, and you do the same to her, still joking, she shouldn't get mad because when she did it to you you took it like a man. She sounds like she's very self conscious, and that's up to her, but when you make a joke it's best to be prepared to take one in return.

Xervello

I hate this stereotype so much.

OK, story time:

I work at a fast food place and used to eat my lunch there because I was trying to put on weight. Anyways, so one of my female co-workers calls me a fatty jokingly one day because of the amount of food I eat. I understood that it was a joke and took it in good fun.

Fast forward a month, and see her making herself a pretty fattening lunch and I jokingly call her a fatty. She and another female co-worker just went off on me. I explained to them that I was merely joking, similar to how she called me a fatass. She goes on to say that you should never call girls fat because they have feelings. Naturally, I say men have feelings too and they just proceed to laugh at my face.

Now, this pissed me off to no end. This belief that men should "grow a pair" and they don't have feelings. Funny thing is, she is a advocate for feminism. She couldn't be more hypocritical.

Rant over.

Considering society has all sorts of opinions on women's bodies, what women should look like, etc (just look at how we have endless opinions about Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and the like but next to nothing on the male counterparts) it's not a stretch to think women, generally, might have an earned bias for a double standard when it comes to this. It doesn't mean making guys feel whatever about their own issues is right. But, dude, never call a woman fat. I don't care how secure they tell you, or what women on this forum tell you, they are. Just don't do it. Still, you have a right to feel pissed off about what they called you.

Btw, feminism has nothing to do with their hypocrisy.

what an @sswipe! Of course men have feelings, they're not made out of stone -_-
She just seems to be a conniving, selfish woman. Feminism is about equality, not one sidedness.

I have feelings....I have feelings for Ree, she seems a good catch;)

Considering society has all sorts of opinions on women's bodies, what women should look like, etc (just look at how we have endless opinions about Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and the like but next to nothing on the male counterparts) it's not a stretch to think women, generally, might have an earned bias for a double standard when it comes to this. It doesn't mean making guys feel whatever about their own issues is right. But, dude, never call a woman fat. I don't care how secure they tell you, or what women on this forum tell you, they are. Just don't do it. Still, you have a right to feel pissed off about what they called you.

Woman deserve a lot more than even today's society gives them.

However, special treatment to the point of a double standard isn't one of them. It's counter productive to gaining equality. To entertain the notion that women in general should be babied and protected from their body image is something that reinforces the idea that they should look a certain way.

It also implies that they by definition couldn't handle it, which is not a stereotype we should callously apply to half of the human population.

If we treat imperfections like a horrible handicap that should be ignored into non-existence, then that is exactly what it will - and culturally has - become.

It's one thing to downright insult someone for the sake of insulting someone, that's not cool no matter what - it's another to keep someone socially accountable as an individual, for what they themselves have said.

Hoppy

I have long ago learned to hide my feelings.

So have most of the men I know or knew.

It isn't a good thing.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
Considering society has all sorts of opinions on women's bodies, what women should look like, etc (just look at how we have endless opinions about Miley Cyrus, Katy Perry and the like but next to nothing on the male counterparts) it's not a stretch to think women, generally, might have an earned bias for a double standard when it comes to this.
I'd say there is more of an emphasis on requiring women to be physically attractive than there is on men; more emphasis on appearance being the important thing for women. It's only a matter of degree, though, and that difference has been gradually narrowing. I can not agree that it earns women a double standard.
But, dude, never call a woman fat. I don't care how secure they tell you, or what women on this forum tell you, they are. Just don't do it. Still, you have a right to feel pissed off about what they called you.
I agree with this entirely. Fair or not, it's just a bad idea. Women will tell all their friends about how terrible you are and they will unite against you. Count on it. It won't likely matter that the girl did the same exact thing. The girl in question isn't likely to mention that part anyway.
Eh...sexism is alive and well with both genders. Some women like to call their sexism 'feminism' because it sounds better and makes them feel righteous about it, much the way some men will call their sexism 'old fashioned values'. Both may mix in redeeming qualities with basic sexism. Both also tend to involve hypocrisy.

Luckylife

Unfortunately we have to be careful with what we say to women. You can't wax lyrical with them as if they were one of the boys. If you still feel uncomfortable about this then take her to one side and make an honest apology to her about your comment. This way you'll prove you have balls, feelings and a conscience all in one sentence.

dannyboy65

This stereotype is the worst. Me being a very emotional guy, I get teased a lot for it. I use to cry a lot when I was little because I had autism and didn't know till grade 11. I was teased and bullied a lot and cried which made bullying worse. I can't talk to guys about feelings anymore because guys call me a "*****". There is few people I talk to now because of this stereotype.