Losing weight.

AGR

Well I want to,so I am starting this thread to keep progress,if anyone wants to lose or post something related feel free to,here is my story:

Until around 2009 I didnt care or know what my weight was,but I got fired and was around 10 months at home, in this time I got up to 93 kg(205 lb) I am 1m and 69 cm,(5'6),in 2010 I managed to lose weight and was 69kg (around 155lb),but in 2011 I ganeid weight again,I was up to 90kg(200lb),now I am 84.5kg(185 lb).

I eat well,but also eat junk food,on the weekends I cant resist and I have to buy junk food,well from now on I will try not to or do it in a controled way.:)

Srijita52

I eat junk food way too much. I've tried to eat healthier and exercise but I just loose motivation to do it. Good luck with avoiding junk food, I hope it works for you.

1BlackSheep

I'm trying to eat healthier but that darn chocolate craving just keeps sneaking up on me! Damn sweet tooth! :mad:

bcsr

I'm 5'10, at my heaviest, in high school, I was about 270. I crash-dieted down to about 180. I ended up gaining most of it back because I didn't make any real lifestyle changes. When I started eating again, it packed back on pretty quick, up to 240.

I've been in the gym 4-5 days a week since December, and I'm down to 190 right now. The weight loss has stalled, but I'm still losing inches. I'm aiming for 165-170 before I'll be satisfied. I still feel fat right now, but I always feel fat.

MikeyC

I have been flirting with the idea of creating my own weight loss "journal," actually. I have not posted it because of my fear of failure and humiliation if I don't do it. I'm glad you have overcome that and you're trying to lose weight. I wish you lots of luck in your endeavour.

Like 1BlackSheep, I am a slave to chocolate, and the temptation is too strong sometimes. Once I can control that, I really should be losing weight fast.

Ashiene

i am 174cm, used to be 55kg (underweight) then within 6 months i hit 90kg (obese). i put on 35kg in just half a year! that was in 2007. now i am 87kg. everytime i try to eat healthy, or eat 2 meals a day, or eat less (i never diet and i dont support dieting, it just increases your cravings to unbearable levels), but i always lose motivation and say, "whats the point?" because when i was skinny and was more confident and had less social anxiety when i was younger, my life was screwed up, and i dont doubt that if i were to be skinny again, with my social anxiety so much worse now, i will have an even more ***ked up life and so whats the point really.

Ashiene

I have been flirting with the idea of creating my own weight loss "journal," actually. I have not posted it because of my fear of failure and humiliation if I don't do it. I'm glad you have overcome that and you're trying to lose weight. I wish you lots of luck in your endeavour.

Like 1BlackSheep, I am a slave to chocolate, and the temptation is too strong sometimes. Once I can control that, I really should be losing weight fast.

take dark choc, its healther i heard.

WeirdyMcGee

I guess it's been almost 4 years now, since I slipped into this depression?
Last summer I did everything I could to get in shape again.
I'm 5'4 and at one point, I weighed over 200lbs.
It yoyo'ed alot but in winter, I'd be from 190-210 whereas before then-- in college, I weighed 120lbs.

I've accepted that I'll probably never weigh that much again-- I'm not a child anymore, I've a mature body, so my healthy weight will be more than that.
Last spring/summer, I went from about 180lbs down to 135lbs.
Decreased my portions/ cut out greasy food/ almost completely cut out candy and junk food/ ran 8-16km every day.
I felt like I had more energy and more of a routine to go out every morning and run-- but my mood didn't change too much.

I still feel like I have alot of excess weight but perhaps it's just my unhealthy self-image that makes me think I'm fat when I'm well within my healthy BMI.
I'd like to tone this year if it's possible.
It was really difficult to be depressed and lose weight while still depressed.
Stress doesn't help either.

psych

I gained weight on antidepressants... About 30 pounds. I quit those, because the weight gain & loss in sex drive was adding to my SA.
Since then, I have managed to lose most of that weight, but still feel the need to be cautious.

I don't buy junk food.
Then, when I want junk food, I can't get it, because it usually takes a lot of effort for me to want to go to the store! Imagine that, there's one area that my SA actually comes in handy! ::p:
I try not to eat after 8 o'clock at night, because typically my physical activity has dropped to nothing, so am not burning much calories.

lonely_drummer

Right on for trying to get healthy. I've been losing weight too this past month, close to 15 pounds. I've gone through the weight fluctuations, same as you. I'd always been the "fat kid" throughout school but I've always been very active. I played tons of sports when I was younger but just had pour eating habits. By the time I was in grade 10, I was around 5 foot 10 and weighed between 250 - 255 pounds. I was huge!!!! Then I went and lived in Germany for about 4 months and that changed everything. I lost approx 60 pounds in those 4 months and by the time I got back I was 195 pounds. It was an insane transformation. I managed to keep it off for a while but after highschool I found myself gaining weight. I got down to 185lbs but after my first year in Uni I was almost up to 230lbs. And since I've been constantly going up and down but have never gotten back under 200lbs. But almost a month ago I got hospitalized for seizures and have since decided to change to a healthier lifestyle. With me my problem is all about timing. I don't eat at the right times of the day and that effects me greatly. I have a big thing for eating a snack late at night and that's where my weight gain comes from. But this last month I've eaten all my meals at the appropriate times and stopped eating anything past 8 o'clock at night. In the hospital I was 220lbs standIng at 6 foot 1 and now I'm 205lbs. And that's just from eating properly with not being active at all whatsoever since I'm still recovering so I'm pretty sure I can do it this time. And I wish you all the luck friend

sullyS25

I used to weigh 230 lbs and now I weigh 165. It takes discipline and determination but it can be done. I loved working exercise into every day while dieting because after working my ass off doing crazy exercise, I didn't want to eat garbage that would have wasted my efforts....that is just me though

Roman Legion

I get sick when I eat, but I force myself to eat at least one meal a day, despite never feeling hungry.. My father lost weight 3 times with not eating, running and laxitives.. Just don't do that too hard as it almost killed him..

dyingtolive

thanks for starting this thread i hope it stays active so we can all support and motivate each other..

I have been inactive for the past 10 months and started working out again. Maybe about 3 weeks so far back into it. Like mentioned above, i stopped because 'whats the point'. I was too frustrated and in too bad a place to continue...

So now i have to try again. Try to save my life. My body is my problem and without being comfortable in it, I could never be happy or have peace. Being in shape and working out helps with this.

Here are some tips i've picked up. I will just share it. I hope it is not offensive since giving unwanted diet tips can be annoying. I just think they are good tips. And it could help. If you don't wanna read, you can stop now and im sorry.. feel free to comment/correct or ignore..

-Craving means theres something wrong.

-Meal timing is very important. If you skip, you will eat more. And more calories turn into fat too since your body thinks there's a famine.

-Protein is important. Eat more protein. If possible, eat protein at the start of your meals before carbs/fat. You can also eat protein alone, and then carbs a bit later on when you feel hungry for them.

-Sugar is only allowed after workouts, after activity, when u wake up, after long without food. Theres a brief window after workout/activity where your body absorbs it alot better to refuel glycogen reserves than complex carbs. That's when its recommended but at if at rest, it will go to fat.

-Too low calories is bad. Max 1-2 pounds a week. It will cause u to eat up your muscles. Less muscles also means you burn less calories, and your workouts are weaker. And too low calories makes body go to starvation mode = next food you eat makes you fatter. Too much cardio can eat muscle as well. Note: This takes effect the thinner you are. If you are on the obese BMI side, the more pounds of fat you can lose and the less muscle you lose.

-You will plateau eventually. The more you shock your body by switching up your workouts and calories, the less you'll plateau. Sometimes you need to stop dieting for a while and then go again in cycles.

-High intensity interval training is great for fat loss. It means intense short bursts of cardio, and then recover, and then repeat. It is more efficient than steady slow cardio like long runs. Too much and too long low intensity runs may lead to muscle loss and better fat burning efficiency. (you dont want this. It means it makes you burn fat slower)

goodluck to everyone, peace..

I also gained weight due to Depression and Medication

In November 2008 I was about 170
In September 2009 I was strict on diet and exercise and lost about 30 pounds. I was 5'5 143 pounds (best shape I've ever been in)
In July 2010 I gained weight due to depression and was 167 pounds

Now I'm 5'6 and about 187 pounds. I lost about 15 pounds since the December but I'm obviously looking to lose more. (I'm also male btw)

As you see, I have problems keeping it off...

MikeyC

I felt like I had more energy and more of a routine to go out every morning and run-- but my mood didn't change too much.
This is a problem for me, too.

I still feel like I have alot of excess weight but perhaps it's just my unhealthy self-image that makes me think I'm fat when I'm well within my healthy BMI.
I remember your pictures and you're definitely already in a healthy weight range.

MsBuzzkillington

-Meal timing is very important. If you skip, you will eat more. And more calories turn into fat too since your body thinks there's a famine.

I just wanted to quote this, because it seems to be a widely common misconception when it comes to losing weight. Meal timing actually doesn't really have any affect on the body. I know plenty of people who fast all day and then eat two massive meals at night and they are super fit and in shape. They have also lost weight this way. The most important thing is staying within your calorie range and not going over your calories for the day. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories, just that you eat them. If you eat right before bed, you aren't going to gain the weight, what time of the day you eat doesn't matter either. Not eating after a certain time doesn't really make a difference in losing weight (as far as the numbers go).

Everyone is different though. You have to listen to your body. If you skip meals and it makes you too hungry and you end up eating way too much, then smaller meals throughout the day will be better. If eating before bed gives you stomach problems, then not eating a couple hours before bed is better.

The starvation mode thing is too misunderstood. Your body doesn't actually do any kind of famine storage mode until weeks of starvation. So one day of skipping a meal or a week of skipping lunch and still hitting your calorie goals isn't going to send your body into starvation mode.

I lost weight and I ate chocolate right before bed. It was my treat for the night. As long as it fits into your calories, you can eat whatever you want. That is for losing weight really, being healthy is probably a different story. But it isn't unhealthy to eat chocolate sometimes or pizza or whatever you want! I feel like denying yourself your favorite foods can only lead to disaster.

To everyone trying to lose weight, good luck and stay strong. Hopefully you guys can help each other stay motivated. I have gained some weight back that I lost and it is still creeping up. I need to get back on track and lose the weight again, but it is too hard. I think I am choosing eating lots of chocolate and cookies over being thin. (crazy me)

Boby

I just wanted to quote this, because it seems to be a widely common misconception when it comes to losing weight. Meal timing actually doesn't really have any affect on the body. I know plenty of people who fast all day and then eat two massive meals at night and they are super fit and in shape. They have also lost weight this way. The most important thing is staying within your calorie range and not going over your calories for the day. It doesn't matter when you eat your calories, just that you eat them. If you eat right before bed, you aren't going to gain the weight, what time of the day you eat doesn't matter either. Not eating after a certain time doesn't really make a difference in losing weight (as far as the numbers go).

Everyone is different though. You have to listen to your body. If you skip meals and it makes you too hungry and you end up eating way too much, then smaller meals throughout the day will be better. If eating before bed gives you stomach problems, then not eating a couple hours before bed is better.

The starvation mode thing is too misunderstood. Your body doesn't actually do any kind of famine storage mode until weeks of starvation. So one day of skipping a meal or a week of skipping lunch and still hitting your calorie goals isn't going to send your body into starvation mode.

I lost weight and I ate chocolate right before bed. It was my treat for the night. As long as it fits into your calories, you can eat whatever you want. That is for losing weight really, being healthy is probably a different story. But it isn't unhealthy to eat chocolate sometimes or pizza or whatever you want! I feel like denying yourself your favorite foods can only lead to disaster.

To everyone trying to lose weight, good luck and stay strong. Hopefully you guys can help each other stay motivated. I have gained some weight back that I lost and it is still creeping up. I need to get back on track and lose the weight again, but it is too hard. I think I am choosing eating lots of chocolate and cookies over being thin. (crazy me)

Meal timing is important,it may not be so important for some types of bodies but in general some people can't lose weight because of bad timing and some people,like you, are not so affected but will surely see some improvements if they try to time their meals.Also it depends on what type of food you eat.
Why is that?Well it's simple when you eat carbs your blood will be filled with glucose.After a certain level of glucose in your blood you pancreas must release insulin otherwise you die ,the excess glucose will be transformed into glycogen and if there is still to much, it will be transformed into fat.In fact it doesn't matter if it's your only meal in a week if the glucose level it's to high your body will transform it into fat after it fills glycogen reserves.
So if you eat all your carbs in one or two big meals most of it will be transformed into fat because it has no other place to go and your body needs it out of your blood.So spreading your carbs into many meals it will give time for the body to use the glucose from the blood,avoiding those high levels when insulin is released.
The time of the day when you eat is not really that important indeed but you need to synchronize it with your physical activity.
Also the body go into starvation mode quite fast actually less than a week (5-6 days) in fact it's not a time function but more like a calorie input function(the less you eat the faster you go into starvation mode).Also in starvation mode the body doesn't actually starts to deposit fat but it slows the metabolism which is a bad thing if you wana lose weight.The metabolism can get halved in some situations (so the body will need half the calorie input).
Quality of food is also important for the same reasons as why timing is important.Foods rich in simple carbs or sugars are very easily absorbed into the body rising the glucose level faster,so pizza is not very good because the dough is rich in simple carbs.With chocolate it's a different story it has some carbs but most of it's calories comes from fats which doesn't make the body produce insulin but still to much fat has other problems.
So it's not only about calories,it's not that easy to trick your body.For your body every day is a battle for survival (a live and death situation) and has lots of mechanisms to avoid losing that precious fat.
What I said works for everyone,but for some it's the only way while for some people ,like you (I assume you are a ectomorph),is not a must and have it easier with only some simple calorie management.
Uhh that was long a long reply.

AGR

I thought about that,but I go to another website with a harsher crowd, the site is about boxing,nhb,general fighting sports and there was a thread like this there were the TS lost weight but after a while,like almost a year,he gained back and was a bit heavier than the original weight,it was not that embarrasing in fact everyone were understanding because losing weight and keeping are a constant battle.

MsBuzzkillington

Meal timing is important,it may not be so important for some types of bodies but in general some people can't lose weight because of bad timing and some people,like you, are not so affected but will surely see some improvements if they try to time their meals.Also it depends on what type of food you eat.
Why is that?Well it's simple when you eat carbs your blood will be filled with glucose.After a certain level of glucose in your blood you pancreas must release insulin otherwise you die ,the excess glucose will be transformed into glycogen and if there is still to much, it will be transformed into fat.In fact it doesn't matter if it's your only meal in a week if the glucose level it's to high your body will transform it into fat after it fills glycogen reserves.
So if you eat all your carbs in one or two big meals most of it will be transformed into fat because it has no other place to go and your body needs it out of your blood.So spreading your carbs into many meals it will give time for the body to use the glucose from the blood,avoiding those high levels when insulin is released.
The time of the day when you eat is not really that important indeed but you need to synchronize it with your physical activity.
Also the body go into starvation mode quite fast actually less than a week (5-6 days) in fact it's not a time function but more like a calorie input function(the less you eat the faster you go into starvation mode).Also in starvation mode the body doesn't actually starts to deposit fat but it slows the metabolism which is a bad thing if you wana lose weight.The metabolism can get halved in some situations (so the body will need half the calorie input).
Quality of food is also important for the same reasons as why timing is important.Foods rich in simple carbs or sugars are very easily absorbed into the body rising the glucose level faster,so pizza is not very good because the dough is rich in simple carbs.With chocolate it's a different story it has some carbs but most of it's calories comes from fats which doesn't make the body produce insulin but still to much fat has other problems.
So it's not only about calories,it's not that easy to trick your body.For your body every day is a battle for survival (a live and death situation) and has lots of mechanisms to avoid losing that precious fat.
What I said works for everyone,but for some it's the only way while for some people ,like you (I assume you are a ectomorph),is not a must and have it easier with only some simple calorie management.
Uhh that was long a long reply.

It is actually mostly just about calories. It really, really is. Did you see that guy who lost a bunch of weight on the Twinkie Diet? Or what about the guy in the movie Fat Head who lost weight eating nothing but McDonalds for a month? If you eat more calories than you are burning, you will gain weight. If you eat less calories than you are burning you will lose weight. There are other factors of course, but you cannot lose weight unless you are in a calorie deficit, period. And you won't gain weight if you are in a calorie deficit.

Also the time of day really, honestly truly doesn't matter. I would say this is true for the majority of people. But like I said, everyone is different and there are some exceptions. I am part of a fitness/weightloss site and I would said 90% of the people who post on the forums and who have lost weight and maintained it and gained muscle have done it different ways. Not just "timing their meals correctly". They didn't eat a bunch of small meals a day, not all of them. I am basically saying, do whatever you want... there is no special code that equals weight loss, you don't HAVE to follow certain rules. People can lose weight eating what they want, when they want... they just have to watch portion sizes. Not everything is going to work for everyone, and some people are going to have to tweak certain things or follow certain rules. But the rules are different for everyone.

It is by no means, HARD for me to gain weight. It is very very easy for me to gain weight.

And no :( your body won't go into starvation mode if you go 8 hours without eating or 16 hours without eating. It takes weeks of repeated starvation.