Losing weight.

MikeyC

I thought about that,but I go to another website with a harsher crowd, the site is about boxing,nhb,general fighting sports and there was a thread like this there were the TS lost weight but after a while,like almost a year,he gained back and was a bit heavier than the original weight,it was not that embarrasing in fact everyone were understanding because losing weight and keeping are a constant battle.
Yeah, true. Losing weight and keeping it off are two different ballgames.

KiaKaha

Banned
Make a calorie deficit = weight loss. I am a believer in the 6 small meals a day to increase metabolic rate - combined with healthy food choices and exercise, would bring about fat loss.

Pretty simple really - although I think Boby brings up some good information - particularly about glycogen reserves.

I am quite surprised at the vast differences in weight gain for some people here. I have never fluctuated with my weight, I guess I am one of the lucky ones. Since about the age of 14 I have weighed about 72 kgs - about right for my height.

Anyway - good luck to all with weight goals. Anyone tried p90x or insanity? I have done p90x and I am about to give insanity a go soon.

MsBuzzkillington

Yeah, true. Losing weight and keeping it off are two different ballgames.

Sorry for posting in this thread for the billionth time, but this is so true. It is still hard but things that make it easier are things I mentioned. Like keeping your favorite foods around, learning how to eat them in moderation and finding out what words best for you and your body. It should be a life style change, not a diet. Which I am sure you know, not saying you don't. But just trying to say why not trying to force yourself into a pattern that you can't work with/don't like, won't help in the long run.

Synth

I have never really had an issue with my weight until a couple years ago. I have always been within my healthy range/BMI for my height but, I really do not feel comfortable in my skin right now on the higher end of the weight range.

I have made diet changes and started exercising in the past but anytime that I've made significant progress, something major happensand causes me to drop everything. :(I guess I lack the discipline to follow through in the face of adversity.

I am finally starting to feel better about myself and want to make positive lifestyle changes again. I do sort of miss that '' runner's high '!

Anyone tried p90x or insanity? I have done p90x and I am about to give insanity a go soon.

My last go at exercising consisted of P90x. I got through the first phase and was moving into phase two after rest week but, I did not continue. After a couple weeks of not keeping up with the workouts, I restarted the program and stopped at the end of the first week. It was really hard to recommit myself when I felt as horridly as I did (emotionally.). I am restarting P90x tomorrow! I am planning on working on a doubles schedule (cardio in the morning -- P90 in the afternoon/evening.)

I highly recommend the program although, you may find Tony Horton to be a bit of a pest. I have to say, I sort of admire and like his cocky attitude. :)

If you do start insanity, let us know! I'd love to hear your progress.

AGR

84kg today that means that I lost 4 kg since two weeks ago and last week I wasnt trying.
When I was lighter I wasnt as tired as I am now,I had a bit of confidence,one thing is for sure even if when I am lighter doesnt make me feel great,being fat makes me feel awful.
What I am eating mostly is brown rice,quinoa,carrots,tomato,spinach,broccolli,eggs.
For snacks all kinds of whole nuts,oats with honey and peanut butter,kiwi,strawberries and blueberries,I only drink water since monday.

Last edited:

AGR

oh and I always eat this^,the only problem is that I cant keep from eating junk food.

WeirdyMcGee

Switching to drinking WATER as opposed to coffee/booze/soda/energy drinks seems to make one of the biggest differences in energy levels for people, I've noticed.
Stay watered and your skin will improve, energy levels will rise and you'll feel more awake and healthy in general.

Just an observation- I'm too lazy to look up any research to back me up but it makes sense that we're made up of water and should be drinking water and staying hydrated.

Cutting out soda was hard for me at first but I noticed a slight change almost immediately.
I rarely get cravings anymore. Drink decaf tea from time to time and fresh fruit juices- not from concentrate; and lots of water.

Junkfood is probably harder to cut out in my opinion because it's EVERYWHERE-- in every convenience store, gas station, grocery store, staring you walk by.
It's 'easy' to eat it because there's no prep time, whereas having to slice an apple or shell peanuts or put peanut butter on a stick of celery seems like a hassle sometimes.
haha

MikeyC

Junkfood is probably harder to cut out in my opinion because it's EVERYWHERE-- in every convenience store, gas station, grocery store, staring you walk by.
It's 'easy' to eat it because there's no prep time, whereas having to slice an apple or shell peanuts or put peanut butter on a stick of celery seems like a hassle sometimes.
haha
That's true. I'm better at it now but it's everywhere and impossible to ignore.

EscapeArtist

I don't eat at the right times of the day and that effects me greatly. I have a big thing for eating a snack late at night and that's where my weight gain comes from. But this last month I've eaten all my meals at the appropriate times and stopped eating anything past 8 o'clock at night. In the hospital I was 220lbs standIng at 6 foot 1 and now I'm 205lbs. And that's just from eating properly with not being active at all whatsoever since I'm still recovering so I'm pretty sure I can do it this time. And I wish you all the luck friend

That's really impressive, good for you :)

EscapeArtist

Weight surpsingly affects my social anxiety a LOT!! I am 25 pounds from my "ideal" weight, at the highest weight i've been and going up very quickly . I guess everything has their own issue, for some they eat junk food, maybe not even that much of it, but I'm a snacker. I'm eating all the time, healthy, whole foods only (salad, fresh meats, only low-gi fruits, nuts, yadda yadda yadda) but all the time! It's like I'm scared to not be full. And gaining rather rapidly for it..

There was one period where I lost the extra 20 pounds I normally carry around, I got down to 113, which sounds tiny but it actualy suited me very well... What I did at that time was eat 600 calories a day and exercise obsessively. Total starvation, and add on top of that running when I wake up, biking after school, and going to the gym in the evening. I felt a lot better in every way, surprisingly, but of course that kind of plan has a back lash, and I binge-ate for a whole year afterwards. Eventually I'll reach 113-120 again but no way i'm ever going back to that kind of thinking

Last edited:

Srijita52

Switching to drinking WATER as opposed to coffee/booze/soda/energy drinks seems to make one of the biggest differences in energy levels for people, I've noticed.
Stay watered and your skin will improve, energy levels will rise and you'll feel more awake and healthy in general.

Just an observation- I'm too lazy to look up any research to back me up but it makes sense that we're made up of water and should be drinking water and staying hydrated.

Cutting out soda was hard for me at first but I noticed a slight change almost immediately.
I rarely get cravings anymore. Drink decaf tea from time to time and fresh fruit juices- not from concentrate; and lots of water.

haha
^I agree, sometimes I'm just too lazy to slice a fruit and apparently I always forget to drink water, I know I should drink lots of water.

Ashiene

There are 2 types of people:

1) People who eat when they are hungry, so that they will stop being hungry,
and
2) People who eat when they are NOT full, so that they will always be full.

Which one are you?

dyingtolive

@ Buzz Thank you for correcting me..
About starvation mode, yes i think im incorrect..

i think what the body does do when skipping meals though is crave more food and crave more sweets and fat. So your body isnt quite in 'starvation mode' but its a potential trigger for bingeing. I guess its a case to case depending on the person..

Though i think its something that happens to quite a few people with eating disorders and anorexics. Put off eating because they feel they can still go on without food. And then end up binging, turning into an unhealthy physical and mental cycle. Its like, safer to stay having calories in you than without.

Though it can work too.. Skipping meals.. If you have the discipline... And if its set in your mind that you're intentionally 'not having that meal'.

I think skipping meals is more bad for bodybuilding.. But for dieting it can work

bcsr

I eat when I'm hungry. I don't worry about the 5-6 meals a day, I think it's nonsense. My problem before was emotional eating, food is comforting.

Eat when you're hungry, stop when you're full. Drink plenty of water, being thirsty feels almost the same as being hungry.

MikeyC

and

Which one are you?
I think it's fair to say I'm both, but I'm also a third choice: eating when I'm not hungry.

Srijita52

and

Which one are you?

I eat when I feel bad.

Thanks op This is a really good thread. Ive been planning to post my before after when Im done in the hope it might inspire others also trying to lose. (temporarily post lol it wont be staying up) I hope to be done with my weightloss soon. Itll prob be end if summer at the rate Im going :D Ive been losing reallly really slowly over the last year. It was a meds gain and ill health meant I wasnt allowed to exercise up until recently so its been a difficult task to lose it. But Im slowly getting there.

Kiwong

In about 2000, I had blown out to about 90kg, and was really unhappy about it, and starting to get some health problems.

I went onto a gutbusters diet, and lost about 10kgs. The diet suggested cutting out sugary drinks. So I started drinking diet cola. Not longer after that my anxiety kicked in big time. I had my first serious battle with panic disorder in 2002. I now wonder if the caffiene contributed?

I went through some serious health problems until about 2007. Then I started running again in 2008. I run up to 90km a week, and my weight is down to 75kg. This is as light as I have been since my twenties. Physically and mentally I am better with that constant input of endorphins from running.