Is it bad I don't want to drive until I'm 18 or older?

FriendlyShadow

I'm 15 years old and my sister and some people are telling me "One more year until you're ready to drive. The problem is I don't want to drive. I'm not actually interested in driving and when I explain this to people they'll tell me "Oh you'll be fine." I also don't like to drive at such a young age because I would also be afraid of wrecking into other cars. I've read on some websites that their have been deaths from teenagers into car accidents. Why can't people drive at 18(or an older certain age). Why 16? Do you agree?

MikeyC

I agree with the younger age to drive. These days it's almost a necessity to have a car and licence when looking for work, unfortunately.

If you're not comfortable driving, don't. Only do it when you're ready and that's it. You'll be taught with an instructor before going out on your own, anyway, so they'll teach you everything you need to know.

I didn't get my learner's until I was 18 myself. These days I would be a broken man without my car.

Bad? Not at all. The legal driving age in Holland is 18 and I'm 21 and have no intention of driving a car at all. Just because everyone does it/wants it, doesn't mean you have to.

Valhalla

I didn't want to learn how to drive at your age as well. I had absolutley no intention of even learning more about cars.

Now, however, I can see how it's restricting if you don't live in an urban environment. If you live in a bigger city, then you'll do fine without a car. Heck, you'll even make the atmosphere and your wallet a favor.

But if you live in a smaller city, I would encourage you to at least get familiar with a car. There's no need to rush, but start of slowly. They wont throw you out in traffic as soon as you get behind the wheel, so if the unwillingness for learning how to drive would come from this fear of crashing - don't worry about it.

MikeyC

Now, however, I can see how it's restricting if you don't live in an urban environment. If you live in a bigger city, then you'll do fine without a car. Heck, you'll even make the atmosphere and your wallet a favor.
A point I had not thought of, either. If I lived in Sydney I could probably get away without a car. Where I live I practically need one because the public transport is not extensive or reliable (especially the awful train system).

da_illest101

I'm 25 and I don't have my license, though I do drive nearby. I have my temporary license since I was 17 and it's keep on expiring

O'Killian

I didn't learn to drive until I absolutely had to - and as has been said, outside of highly urbanized areas, not being able to is an obscene inconvenience. To this day, I think driving being 'fun' or even remotely desirable* is a ridiculous notion. It's really incredibly mundane barring the occasional bad traffic.

That said, from personal experience, some folk are likely to (good naturedly or not) tease you about it. If you can stand it, doing driver's ed and getting your license and then just not using it might not be a bad idea. (But then, you'll be expected to use it, so maybe it's six of one half a dozen of the other, really).

*well, OK, I fully understand the fact it allows one a lot more freedom.

WeirdyMcGee

I was driving illegally when I was 12. My dad encouraged me to drive every day.
But I'm 24 now and don't have money to afford a car nor can I afford insurance.
So, I don't drive.
It's terribly inconvenient, really.
If I lived in the city, it wouldn't be a big deal because there is public transit and greyhound stations everywhere.
In a small town with no bus station; things are alot less convenient.

I think you should drive when you feel like it-- but if you don't get your license early and have to beg people for rides, it'll obviously be thrown back in your face that you are old enough to drive and do not.

You could always consider getting your permit and your licences and just not driving often.
OR you can not bother at all.
There are millions and millions of people who don't have a license and they seem to survive just fine.

MsBuzzkillington

It is not *bad* that you don't want to drive until you are older. Not everyone is really excited about getting their license at 16, there is nothing wrong with that. I know a few people who didn't get theirs until they were in their late 20's.

Not having a license can be a huge pain in the butt though. Bus systems are a huge pain and they take forever. Having to rely on people to give you rides sucks too. But it is absolutely possible to live a life without a license and there is no need to get one, it is more a convenience than anything else.

I think there are a few states that have laws saying you can't get your license until 18 now. I am not really sure, I am torn on the issue. In smaller towns I think kids need their license at 16, but if they live in bigger cities it could probably wait until 18 or older.

Silatuyok

My mom didn't learn how to drive til she was 35. I think I got my license when I was 18. It's your choice to learn whenever you want to. I usually choose to buck tradition and not do things when I'm "supposed to." Feel free to do the same. :)

THeCARS1979

I'm 15 years old and my sister and some people are telling me "One more year until you're ready to drive. The problem is I don't want to drive. I'm not actually interested in driving and when I explain this to people they'll tell me "Oh you'll be fine." I also don't like to drive at such a young age because I would also be afraid of wrecking into other cars. I've read on some websites that their have been deaths from teenagers into car accidents. Why can't people drive at 18(or an older certain age). Why 16? Do you agree?

Hey, Drive when you feel its comfortable for you. Maybe itll be 2 months away from 18. but you will see and feel it out

Iseesky

My advice (coming from someone who doesn't like driving...both because I don't think I'm particularly good and because I don't want to hurt myself or others in an accident) to you is get your license as soon as you possibly can. Be like everyone else. You certainly don't have to be excited about it...But, just do it. Because I'm assuming you'll need to get your license eventually (not everyone lives in a city with good public transit) and the longer you wait, the scarier it is...you don't want to give yourself any time to worry about it. That was my mistake. :|

I got my full license at 20 (I'm 21 now), but up until then I just worried and worried and worried and I made a bigger deal out of it than I should have.
So, yeah. Get your license as soon as you're able to. Then once you have it, you no longer have to worry about it and can take the bus. You'll probably also realize that your cautious attitude is what makes you a good driver and people who take risks and make avoidable mistakes are the ones that cause accidents.

Maybe that makes no sense. :p

Last edited:

knowlife

honestly you should just get it over worth. im 31, dont drive and regret it. if you have opportunity and the resources available, it would be doing yourself a huge favor. i cant get a job that pays more that minimal wage without a license and dependable transportation. also it sucks having to depend on people for rides or catching the bus or *whince* walking.

Kiwong

Learn to drive when you are comfortable.

I was 19 when I learnt to drive didn't get a car until I was 22.

Hoppy

Got my licence only at 23.

Had 3 learners permits that expired before I could do the tests.

Getting the licence doesn't mean you have to drive, only that you can.

And I did my truck licence two years ago. Trust me, it is much easier when you are young.

Last edited:

lyricalliaisons

I think the driving age should be 18 anyway. I don't like the idea of children driving cars, so I think it's great that you want to wait and hopefully others will understand that.

Canis lupus

Driving age is 18 in my country and I didn't get my licence untill I was 21 and only because I needed it to get a job. It's something you'll have to do at some point in you life because you need it in our society but if you're not ready yet I wouldn't worry too much about it at your age. Personally I always thought it was weird that in the US you are allowed to drive at 16 but not allowed to drink untill you are 21. At 16 you're young, want to have fun, want to party (well maybe not us but in general), you're still a bit rebellious. Just doesn't seem the right time to learn how to drive. Not that 18 is so much better.

You should learn to drive when you feel comfortable..but the problem is though (I didnt learn to drive till I was 22yrs. I was scared to death to drive) you may regret it when your older, like why didn't I do this sooner? Because that was me. I feel I may have missed out on some things because I didnt learn sooner. And usually the ones who worry about driving, end up being the best drivers and most cautious. But it does have to be your choice, don't let anyone pressure you.

market.garden

Yeah, do it when you feel comfortable. I'm 26 and don't drive (actually failed my first test about an hour ago!)

It's not a necessity to know how to drive depending on where you live. I live in a fairly urban area, which is probably why I put it off for so long, and I've never come across a job where driving was required. Depends what you wanna do I guess.

Don't feel pressured into driving though. Take lessons when you're ready. You'll probably be a better driver for it.