I'm dreading the holidays because __ (fill in the blank!)

MikeyC

I got lucky yesterday! Never thought I'd have been so happy to wake up sick.

I'm glad I didn't go. The dinner was at my boyfriend's parents house, and they did that awful thing where everyone stands in a circle, holds hands, and says what they're thankful for. Then they say a prayer. The prayer part bugs me more than the thankful part, because they always comment about "being a true Baptist". No one in his family has ever bothered to ask what religion I am, which is not Baptist. You'd think if they are going to invite people that are not part of their family, they wouldn't make comments like that! It makes me so uncomfortable. I guess eventually I'll have to talk about it, but that is not a conversation I'm looking forward to. :(
That sounds incredibly uncomfortable! Very glad you didn't go to that.

Moa

That sounds incredibly uncomfortable! Very glad you didn't go to that.

Thank you. The worst part of this is that my boyfriend doesn't understand why it makes me uncomfortable, and gets mad at me for feeling the way I do. :(

MikeyC

Thank you. The worst part of this is that my boyfriend doesn't understand why it makes me uncomfortable, and gets mad at me for feeling the way I do. :(
You should tell him exactly why it makes you uncomfortable and hopefully he'll understand. Although that's easier said than done. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes regarding this. :/

Moa

You should tell him exactly why it makes you uncomfortable and hopefully he'll understand. Although that's easier said than done. I wouldn't like to be in your shoes regarding this. :/

Exactly. Thanks for your support though. :)

w*n*c*a*m

I'm dreading the holidays bec. my classmates expect me to join the Xmas party but I'm too scared to mingle with the others so I don't wanna. But I can't just stay in my room all day bec. my housemate probably would have his celebration with his friends in our place, which means I would be out of place if I don't come. Or he would think that I am really a total loser and I don't want him to know that. So i'm wishing my aunt takes me with her for the holiday. Or if I could, I wanna find a place where I could be alone and relax without people knowing that I celebrated Xmas alone. I know it sound sad but I prefer spending this day in isolation than celebrate it with all those unfamiliar people. I only want to do it with my family and I've got no money to return to my home country for the time being.

Felgen

I f*cking hate new years eve... any day where you're expected to get morbidly drunk and party just reminds me how socially awkward I am.

EscapeArtist

Not the most helpful positively inspiring question. Yet i answer it anyway
Because I always look forward to it based on family memories in the past. End up looking forward to it warmly. Then realize the family has basically disbanded when it comes. Or it ends up to be a bunch of chaotic fights

Moa

Not the most helpful positively inspiring question. Yet i answer it anyway

I started this thread because I don't have anyone close to me personally who dreads the holidays, yet I knew there were plenty of people here who do. Knowing we're not alone in this matter can help us feel better about it, and sometimes just telling someone how you feel makes you feel better. Some of us did give each other advice, some didn't, and either way is ok to me. SPW, just like anything in life, is what you make of it. ;)

Agent_Violet

I started this thread because I don't have anyone close to me personally who dreads the holidays, yet I knew there were plenty of people here who do. Knowing we're not alone in this matter can help us feel better about it, and sometimes just telling someone how you feel makes you feel better. Some of us did give each other advice, some didn't, and either way is ok to me. SPW, just like anything in life, is what you make of it. ;)

I agree with you Moa:) I think it's a great post.

With that said, I'm dreading the holidays because: Now that my mother is back in the states I'm expected to drive the 2 hours to her house to spend the holidays with her. My husband's family expects us to spend the holidays with them as we have for the last 7 years. And my husband's mother can't understand why we can't all just pile into MY house and do the holidays together as one big group (my family and husband's family all together). SO, if my mother in law wins the argument, I will be hosting EVERYONE at my house. That's around 18 people or more.
If I put my foot down and just say I'm spending the holidays with mom, I get to be the target of her constant criticisms from anything to the man I married to his daughter to the way I raise my son to the clothing I have on to how fat my ass has gotten.

I will find myself in this struggle every single year until my mother moves far enough away again for it to not be an issue.

Moa

I agree with you Moa:) I think it's a great post.

I will find myself in this struggle every single year until my mother moves far enough away again for it to not be an issue.

Thanks. :) I'm sorry you have to deal with that crap, I know I'd be in the same situation if I hadn't moved 10 hours away from my parents.

I get to prepare, cook and serve 3 Christmas dinners all by myself this year...

-___- yay.

Wow, how does all that burden fall on your shoulders?

Hastings & Main

I'm dreading it because it'll be the fifth year without contact from my older brother, his wife and their young daughter, because they abandoned the family with no reason given or forewarning. So it'll be me visiting my (our) parents in their big family home, just the three of us and an empty void.
Basically they just dropped us like garbage. We know they're still around, so they haven't disappeared in a plane crash or anything. They always seemed happy at family affairs or visits and on the phone, then one day, nothing: no returned calls, emails etc.
My parents loved their granddaughter and they haven't seen her for all these years, and who knows what my brother's excuse to her is for the fact we never come around or have been heard from since.
My mom still sends b-day and xmas cards to her with cheques inside, but they're never cashed.

To my parents it's like losing their first son. While I try to keep the feeling positive & steer any conversation or things that remind us of them away, it's a lot of work, and I can always see my missing bro's shadow creeping over us through the night.

So it's not really SA-related, but it's still an anxious time, and at least I'm there to help my parents not feel so rejected.

UnderTheBoughs

My mum's new boyfriend is coming over for most of Christmas Day and I am absolutely dreading it. It is going to so awkward... I can see myself now, avoiding him at all costs. We are having a "tea" in the evening like every christmas but he will be there - I don't know what's going to happen. At least I can be thankful that he won't be there for christmas dinner. It isn't that I don't like him, but ... I don't know what to say, what to talk about, how to behave. Just a very awkward scenario. I just know my mum is going to try and 'force' a conversation between me and him.