How Much Information Do You Reveal About Yourself Online?

ridicule

I've noticed that a lot of you don't choose to reveal that information about yourselves on here, at least the information that isn't in threads. Things like nationality, age, topics of interest, etc. Of course I get it, you are normally shy people, but what I found online (this is contextual, not to be used in all cases), I like to reveal as much about myself because in conversations, knowing such information would make making friends easier. But I'm a early twenties white man, possibly the least interesting choice for any cyber attacks, but what do you think? And also answer this: how much information would you like about something you've just start talking with?

upndwn

I'm generally honest but I won't give up phone numbers, full addresses or name unless I feel confident that i can trust someone.

Phoenixx

I'm generally honest but I won't give up phone numbers, full addresses or name unless I feel confident that i can trust someone.
^ This. I feel very wary giving out information, especially online. It's a bit more comfortable here, but I'm not going to jump and just give out all my information. I don't like giving out much information, and even my name, here; not so much I don't trust people on here as it is I'm afraid someone I know might find me here. ::eek::

I hope that last sentence makes sense. I'm awfully tired and I have a headache.

WeirdyMcGee

It's dangerous to reveal too much in the open-- or even to individual people; even if you think you know them.
It's so easy to lie online, so I prefer to be open about most tings- honest- truthful; but not give away personal information.

And by personal information, I mean specific things like... city, phone number, address, financial information, full name, where I work, specific people I know...

First name, fine
age/race, fine ... I don't see why this would be an issue...
topics of interest, fine ... is that really personal information?
Those things are okay but be careful who you give your information to because there are lots of not very nice people out there.

Steppen-Wolf

I don't see the need to reveal the things that could actually be dangerous (finantial information, exact location, etc).

Besides that, I don't see the point to be so reserved even in a forum... I'm not exactly the type of guy that goes into a forum hoping to make lots of "friends", or randomly add someone on MSN and just have small talk for no apparent reason, and most of the time I tend to come off as unfriendly, but in the end most of us are just lonely and hoping to find some people to talk/relate to. If you don't at least reveal something about yourself how can you expect to form even an online friendship?

There is no need to always be so private about yourself.

superario

I won't give out my home address or anything. But I am willing to share my sex/age/location and the like, no problem! I usually go by a different name online (well, it is my name it's just my middle name) so that's not usually a problem but there are people I have yet to meet in real life that know my real name. Only a few know my last name and that's either because we're very close and known eachother for years or because they have me on Facebook ^_^

I have also given my phone number out for texting purposes when I was into roleplaying. But I don't do that unless I've known them for a long time. :p

ridicule

Haha, okay, I'm never clear. Obviously, those things would jeopardize your safety, I'm not talking anywhere near that. I'm just talking about what you, say Jewish guy from Italy or whatever, stuff like that. And how your physical image too.

upndwn

Haha, okay, I'm never clear. Obviously, those things would jeopardize your safety, I'm not talking anywhere near that. I'm just talking about what you, say Jewish guy from Italy or whatever, stuff like that. And how your physical image too.

Well, I've posted my picture here on these forums more than once (although, if those are really pictures of me you'll have to decide for yourself ;)). I've also posted my age, sex, location and ethnicity here more than once, so obviously those are not big issues for me.

I can't lie unless it's really nessesary. Same thing goes with not-telling something, but the latter only applies to people I respect (which isn't that hard to achieve).

I always refer back to my rules ''Gain my respect to get close'' and ''Ask the right questions''. For the rest I only reveal things I consider trivial or unimportant.

''I played this and this game today'', ''I am (not) feeling alright today'' and ''I have a little scar on my thumb'', to name a few examples.

Last edited:
On a lot of sites other than SPW I use a pseudonym, sad I know.But on here I think I may have revealed everything the is to reval lol. My hometown, I've told one person my actual address, my age, name, and I don't feel paranoid about it.

You guys are lucky, you're worried people will find you on here.#

I haven't got anyone to find me ::(:

megalon

As far as personal info, first name and general location are enough for me. I don't know why anyone would search for me, but if they did, I'm pretty sure they wouldn't find me here. People could recognize my picture, but what are the chances that someone I know stumbles across this site and sees it? I'd say pretty unlikely.

MrJones

Age, interests, general location (never the exact place), first name (only to a few people)... this is okay

Phone number, address, financial information (seriously? XD)... this is too much.

MaliceInWickedland

I'm pretty straightforward about myself but never enough to be giving out my full name, phone number, and address. ASL is as simple as it gets with me.

BloodFury

Level of Personnel Information

Never
  • Full Name
  • Phone Number
  • Facebook
  • Address
  • City
  • Exact Appearance
  • Very Personnel Things/Thoughts

Maybe
  • State
  • Personnel Things/Thoughts
  • Middle Name

Most Likely
  • Age - Borderline With Maybe
  • First Name
  • Mild Personnel Things/Thoughts

Seri

I'm pretty paranoid, so as a general rule I never have my real name anywhere online, even my Facebook just has the first three letters of my names. I certainly never give out my address, though I'm fine with letting people know what country I'm from.

I don't think it's so much shyness as being careful with such information, like some others have mentioned.

I let people know my age if they ask and I think it's relevant but I'm not too fussed about it. And I tend to leave my gender out of things when I can, though as with my age it isn't a big issue for me.

And really, with someone I've just started talking with I think the most important thing would be their interests/what we have in common and something to talk about. You don't really need to know personal details about someone to get along with them.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
I haven't got anyone to find me ::(:
This is a major factor, I think. I'm not a likely target. I'm not in public office. I'm not immensely wealthy. I'm not a beautiful girl, and I'm not famous in any way. Stalking is possible, just not very likely.

Even so I try not to reveal much in the forum or chat. I'll add someone on FB if I talk to them enough, but even there I don't reveal much.

If I get to know someone well enough I will reveal more. It's possible to make real friends here, just like anywhere else. And you can't get presents if you don't tell your address. ;)

This is a major factor, I think. I'm not a likely target. I'm not in public office. I'm not immensely wealthy. I'm not a beautiful girl, and I'm not famous in any way. Stalking is possible, just not very likely.

Even so I try not to reveal much in the forum or chat. I'll add someone on FB if I talk to them enough, but even there I don't reveal much.

If I get to know someone well enough I will reveal more. It's possible to make real friends here, just like anywhere else. And you can't get presents if you don't tell your address. ;)

Ooh, presents!

panicsurvivor

As far as personal info I will reveal pretty much anything. I am not exactly a vulnerable individual. So I don't mind stating where I live, though I don't give out an exact address. I give up no numbers ever!!!!! Drivers license, social security, bank numbers, credit cards, nothing. I don't even like doing it in the real world, let alone on line. But as far as being recognized and or stalked.... well that is just something I am not afraid of. I feel sorry for anyone who would try this with me.::p:

Feathers

I think it's good to be careful with personal information.

I've had people find me iRL on very limited info so since then I'm WAY more careful!!

I'm not that goodlooking, and I'm not famous either. My cousin who is really gorgeous never gave out her hometown cause she was from an even smaller town, just in case.

I read on other sites how some people have pretended to be someone they're not (some even found photos of random strangers and pretended to be them, even had other people fall in love with them or on the verge of getting married and such, while they weren't even the appropriate gender).

You may think, 'Ah, who'd be interested in me?' but you never know, and it's better to be careful...
There are companies that 'erase' too much information online these days, eg hired by parents of kids who revealed too much info on Facebook or posted inappropriate photos and may now be trying to get 'real' jobs, don't know how 100% that can be... (There may still be archives etc.)

If I post emotional/personal things, I don't use real name and as little real info as possible.

Last edited: