How Much Information Do You Reveal About Yourself Online?

hippiechild

haha... and if by some stroke of randomness a person does find me... so be it.

Maybe I'll have them over for tea and scrabble ::p:

It's not like anyone who knows me in real life would discover anything new by finding me on here... whether they want to call me shy, quiet or "SA" doesn't really matter to me. In the reverse, I don't see anything especially eventful happening if someone on here bumped into me in real life either.

Last edited:

Feathers

To be honest you can track someone down with a name alone. If someone wants to track you, then there is very little in their way. And even if you do not put it up, it's more than possible to attack someone's computer and extract every shred of information on there.

hm, you mean real name+surname? (I know that) And hackers can probably do that even without that. I wasn't talking about hackers. Even people without techie knowledge can find you if you put up too much info. Most people don't have such techie knowledge.
And again yeah, why would anyone bother?

umm, please can you unquote what I wrote and just reply with the nickname?

snowcream

I dont reveal any personal info about myself anymore unless I have to; or a person has earnt my trust.
Bad experiences makes you more aware of who's out there!

coyote

"people might find you?"

what people?

why do they want to find you?

why don't you want to be found?

this thread reads like a Robert Ludlum novel

Feathers

lol Coyote you can laugh it off but it has made me worried at times in the past...
it went allright-ish so far, I changed cell phone provider once though, and a roommate had troubles with iffy text messages too...

maybe it's different for men than women... my Dad has a chainsaw and would probably protect me yeah... :)

what people?
why do they want to find you?
why don't you want to be found?
nice people are not a problem, sometimes it may not be so easy to know if they have nice intentions or not though...
earning trust takes some time I guess...
again, it depends on who they are and what their intentions/wishes might be... if they just wish to have a walk and talk nicely, probably no problem...

this thread reads like a Robert Ludlum novel
lol, no I just think that maybe it's good if some people would be more careful - of course there are some wonderful people online too, it's just good to get to know anyone well and make sure they are who they are saying they are... and ideally meet up in a neutral/public place first, get a PO Box or 'neutral address' for letters or gifts etc.

Last edited:

zav943

I'm about as cautious as any sensible person online. However, being camera shy and very self-conscious, I am very wary about putting pictures of myself up. It's not just online...anywhere...

Edit: Except for this one of course <<<

Indeed, no phone numbers,address, too much personal information.
Just sharing my story on SPW, to be honest, I'm afraid people will figure out that I'm on here, and see my posts... :/ But I never heard anyone about it, so I don't hope so.. lol

but i guess it is okay with me, because they will understand me even better.

coyote

i can't reveal too much

or the Shriners will use me

to track down the whereabouts

of my friend, Bigfoot

Sproggy

I will tell things like my nationality and general info, but I never give out my full name (even though there are thousands of people who have the exact same name) my address and anything like my phone number or bank details ect. I give out more info here than to actual people haha but maybe it's because talking online is easier.

nothingtofear

Because I talk about a lot of personal stuff here, stuff I don't talk about with people I know in person and stuff I wouldn't want them hearing, I try to keep anything that would help to identify me to an absolute minimum because I'm paranoid and think if someone were to suspect me of being that nothingtofear guy on SPW they would start looking for supporting evidence for that suspicion and if they found a lot of it they'd be convinced.

That's extremely unlikely but I'm extreme opposed to the wrong people hearing me say what I don't want to be heard saying so I'm trying not to take much of a chance. Call me a coward...

Minty

I actually reveal a lot of my personal problems online because it's a form of release. I just let it go anonymously. I don't mind telling people I've met on here my name, my age, or even what state I live in. If we're good friends, I'll show you my picture no problem. But I don't want to give any info that'll help people track me down, like my address or phone number. That's just common sense. There are a lot of crazies on the internet and you never know.

Other than that, I'm a lot more open online than I am in person. It's easier. My SA is very minimal.

Feathers

too much

and I always intend to erase it later lol

but then I'm usually too lazy or think 'why bother?' lol

it's easier to talk online for me too, yeah
usually, not always

Rembrandt Broam

In this respect, I'm very similar online to how I am in real life. That is, I don't reveal a great deal of personal information unless it's in a one-to-one situation with someone I like and trust.

Conspiracy

Ah see, people don't know anything about me. They assume I'm from the states and that I'm around 25 living on my own. I just....go along with that. I have never told anyone my age, I just go along with what type of person they think of me as. I have only been extremely honest to 1 person, and now I like her a lot since she understands me very well. Still haven't told her my name and where I live tho......insecurities ftl >_>

corvax

I'd say I'm pretty open. I won't leave my full name or address or anything really sensitive like that around because I don't want stuff coming up on google, but I don't have a problem telling people the state I'm from, where I go to college, what my interests are, or things like that.

Section_31

im pretty much an open book with most things, but the common sense stuff i dont reveal, pretty much what Wierdy said.