How many of you believe?

Do you believe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

fitftw

I did believe, but I lost my faith.

Raised Jewish. They cut my meat at a ripe 8 days old, I went to hebrew school for 5 years, did the Bar Mitzvah thing at 13, and then I was 'a man' and yeah okay...never went to temple since. I let my parents know I didn't appreciate being brought up to blindly believe as I would never do that to my children.

panicsurvivor

I would have to be in the middle on this.
There has been talk on here of logic. And as far as I am concerned Spock is quiet worth worshiping.;)
I find it to be( I hope I don't offend anyone) incredibly arrogant to say that you know there is no god. How do you know that? What makes you such a powerful being that you can just know that.
On the flip side, to think that you know god, and who he is based on what some old book tells you, seems foolish. Especially if you really study some of the real origins of said book. Plus their are older and more detailed texts than the bible that are out their.
Don't get me wrong I don't, not believe in god. Like I said before I don't think that I or any human being actually can know that.
I think if I am going to choose a religion it will be the church mrb. What he said is basicaly my belief system in a nutshell.
He is now my Guru:D

I believe that what my mind tells me to believe is the truth.
But knowing that is a belief in itself.
I can believe whatever I want to. It only comes true if I want it to. And if I believe that nothing is real and true, then that's what my mind tells me.

In other words, belief is the mystery. What is the reasoning for anything but what rules we give it?

fitftw

Your life could be predetermined. How would any of us know?

You can't disprove anything that you'll never be able to know the answer to. But you can break down life situations and be able to know how to act if you want to. But you THINKING that you want to is all part of the predetermined theory...and around we go...in circles...never knowing the truth about the god/science debate. It sucks not knowing, but I'm not going to just go to temple because I'm 'not sure'...

Last edited:

Jake123

Banned
I think everything might be predetermined, but there's a scientific explanation. I believe the universe eventually becomes infinitely expanded, then reverses until it's infinitely small like before the big bang, then the big bang happens again and everything is repeated exactly the same way, over and over ad infinitum. So everything you've done and will ever do has already happened billions of times.

jake nice theory, but where does it come from?
Ultimately, your mind tells you what's real. And what is your mind?
Organisms. Electromagnetic fields. Gasses.
The universe.
Time.
What is it?
You don't know and I don't know. But trying to find the answer is hella fun. And I like your theory.

lol yes. Alcohol good for deciphering reality.
Me? I'm pooped. Time to relax. Settle down. Quit being mad at the world. Play a video game and stop thinking.
Ahhh...
I'll be back tomorrow though ;)

Ladystardust

Yes I believe in God I am one of Jehovahs Witnesses. How could i not when i look at the wonderful world of creation? My faith gives meaning and hope to my life and helps me cope far better than taking medication + no side effects! It also supplies a social element to my life and although i find attending christian meetings hard because of my SA i usually feel much better for making the effort. Other people have noticed the positive effect my belief has had on me one friend who knew me when i was very depressed says i am a much more positive person now.

Freeflex

I really don't know. I really want to believe in a God and that there will be another life of some kind after this one, but when I think of it from a rational perspective, I really doubt it. I mean organised religion seems so convenient.. you be a good little girl or boy and you do this, don't do that and you will be rewarded with spending infinity in paradise.

However, the reason I'm not atheist (and agnostic instead) is because I have a gut feeling in me, whether for religious or scientific reasons (recycled energy), that we come back as another live form. Another conscience. There's no proof for this, but it just feels like it is so.

As far as other peoples religious beliefs go, I will not sit there and try to belittle you, whether you're a believer or a non-believer. I'm live-and-let-live.

Solo Dolo

im agnostic. sorry to say but any specific religion is complete B.S. Sure there is a possibility of a higher being but most likely not. I get too heated in conversations with religious people because i find it unbelievably frustrating how people cant be open minded because they have been brainwashed. Religion is nothing more than mass manipulation on a global scale. however, even though i hate the idea of religion...even if i had a chance to abolish all religion in the world, i wouldnt. Because i do believe that the morals and values most religions teach IS a good thing and if there was no religion there is a good possiblity the world would plunge into chaos (unless another system of morals would develop). I also agree that religion is a coping mechanism for the human brain and helps some people feel like they have a purpose or whatever which also can be good. I was raised catholic(though renounced it), im a really good person, and i think religion is absolute B.S. i just wish other ppl were open minded enough to see it the same way

agoraphobickatie

and i think religion is absolute B.S. i just wish other ppl were open minded enough to see it the same way

uh... that's a completely conflicting oxymoronic statement.. not to mention just plain moronic. if you were as open minded as you seem to wish everyone else was, you wouldn't care or bother to argue and put down anyone else just because their beliefs are different than your own.