How many of you believe?

Do you believe?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Solo Dolo

uh... that's a completely conflicting oxymoronic statement.. not to mention just plain moronic. if you were as open minded as you seem to wish everyone else was, you wouldn't care or bother to argue and put down anyone else just because their beliefs are different than your own.

by open minded, i didnt mean accepting...i meant being able to think for themselves....i would more likely accept someone who has converted to another religion or something...not someone who believes faithfully in a religion cuz thats how they were raised (brainwashed) by society...trust me it makes sense

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
i-want-to-believe.jpg

agoraphobickatie

by open minded, i didnt mean accepting...i meant being able to think for themselves....i would more likely accept someone who has converted to another religion or something...not someone who believes faithfully in a religion cuz thats how they were raised (brainwashed) by society...trust me it makes sense

i see, we just have different understandings of 'open minded', no biggie... it is ignorant of you, however, to think all religious people have been brainwashed and don't choose for themselves whatever or whomever they want to believe in. generalizations suck.

Solo Dolo

i see, we just have different understandings of 'open minded', no biggie... it is ignorant of you, however, to think all religious people have been brainwashed and don't choose for themselves whatever or whomever they want to believe in. generalizations suck.

honestly no one chose anything for themselves. not even me. every choice we make whether anyone wants to believe it or not, is predetermined based on the history of our environment as a whole. We as humans are a product of external stimuli. No matter how much of a choice you think your making you would always make that choice because of external stimuli of the past. Maybe you will try to go down what you think is "a different road" that you think you wouldnt have chosen just because im telling you this. But that is what would happen every time if you theoretically were able to replay the instance given the exact same settings and variables. People dont really have the free will they believe. Maybe i am a little prejudice against religious people. But thats what ive become as a result of third party influence. This might not make sense the way im saying it, But this is real.

agoraphobickatie

How do you know that?

apparently, he's the only person on the planet with 'free will' who is able to decide his own beliefs even though what he doesn't like is people who don't "use their (nonexistant) free will" and believe in organized religion... soooo, i guess he hates everyone?

solo, dude, you're wasting way too much time on this crap...

Solo Dolo

because as i said. humans are a product of the external stimuli of the past. subconsciously or not you take it all into consideration before "choosing". idk how else to explain it...im not too good at that part. let me give you an example of how people are products of their environment:

if you were born in an environment where no one ever told you about jesus or moses or abraham or muhammad or whatever, then you would NEVER know about it. Then theres the people who are like, "oh i would know anyways cuz i can "feel" it. No you cant. You would just like to think you would. Thats just your instinctive defense mechanism protecting your manipulated "files" in your brain. Maybe in this scenario of an environment free of the known religions we have today, you would create your own to cope with what you cant seem to understand (life).

Solo Dolo

apparently, he's the only person on the planet with 'free will' who is able to decide his own beliefs even though what he doesn't like is people who don't "use their (nonexistant) free will" and believe in organized religion... soooo, i guess he hates everyone?

solo, dude, you're wasting way too much time on this crap...

good job not reading what i said. i said not even i chose what i am. thanks for your opinion though.

lunaticbinge

I'm certain that if there is a God, none of the religions on this planet have it right as to what his/her/it's "plan" is, especially Christianity.
The idea that if you believe in something else you go to hell is absolutely ludicrous and hypocritical. A God that would send a Buddhist, Jew, Hindu, atheist, etc to hell just because they don't accept Christ as their savior is not the kind of God I would worship. Not to mention the condemnation of homosexuality. But all that is just my opinion.

im agnostic. sorry to say but any specific religion is complete B.S. Sure there is a possibility of a higher being but most likely not. I get too heated in conversations with religious people because i find it unbelievably frustrating how people cant be open minded because they have been brainwashed. Religion is nothing more than mass manipulation on a global scale. however, even though i hate the idea of religion...even if i had a chance to abolish all religion in the world, i wouldnt. Because i do believe that the morals and values most religions teach IS a good thing and if there was no religion there is a good possiblity the world would plunge into chaos (unless another system of morals would develop). I also agree that religion is a coping mechanism for the human brain and helps some people feel like they have a purpose or whatever which also can be good. I was raised catholic(though renounced it), im a really good person, and i think religion is absolute B.S. i just wish other ppl were open minded enough to see it the same way

I completely agree with SoloDolo here. Your believes/ideas even the way you dress and so many other aspects of yourself depend on how you were raised - on your environment, that's simple common sense.

I think what hes trying to say is that believing is senseless (makes no sense). You wouldn't believe ME that pigs fly just because I told you so right? Well, as you were growing up, your parents TOLD YOU, that God/Jesus exist and all those religious believes and you believed them. Now, hes not saying that you never questioned those believes, but most people don't and they just go on believing. The simple fact is that believing is silly.... think for yourself - find things out. Who made the bible? Are the stories in the bible real? Do they have recorded evidence behind them? How are other religions? Do they offer me a better life-style than the one my parents taught me? Etc.... think for yourself.

By the way, I think religion is a good thing, because A LOT of its messages are true and beneficial to society. though I find that most religious people are hypocrits (they dont follow their own religion.) I find that even though I am not religious, I follow "religious rules" more than someone who is.

Religion is not bad... it's just that one shouldn't just simply "believe" things - it's silly ;)

I'm certain that if there is a God, none of the religions on this planet have it right as to what his/her/it's "plan" is, especially Christianity.
The idea that if you believe in something else you go to hell is absolutely ludicrous and hypocritical. A God that would send a Buddhist, Jew, Hindu, atheist, etc to hell just because they don't accept Christ as their savior is not the kind of God I would worship. Not to mention the condemnation of homosexuality. But all that is just my opinion.

Completely agree! Good points ;)

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
because as i said. humans are a product of the external stimuli of the past. subconsciously or not you take it all into consideration before "choosing". idk how else to explain it...im not too good at that part. let me give you an example of how people are products of their environment:

if you were born in an environment where no one ever told you about jesus or moses or abraham or muhammad or whatever, then you would NEVER know about it. Then theres the people who are like, "oh i would know anyways cuz i can "feel" it. No you cant. You would just like to think you would. Thats just your instinctive defense mechanism protecting your manipulated "files" in your brain. Maybe in this scenario of an environment free of the known religions we have today, you would create your own to cope with what you cant seem to understand (life).

I'm pretty sure the native Americans had never heard of Jesus before the priests came over on ships, but I don't consider that an argument for the case of absolute determinism with no free will, which is what you seem to be suggesting.

No human on the planet can really know how an event will go down a second time, even if we were somehow able to able to perfectly recreate the circumstances. Quantum physics has taught us that much.

It is true that we are all products of our environment to an extent, and that people tend to adhere to the same religion as their parents and other people around them. That doesn't mean there is no choice at all though.

Last edited:

Solo Dolo

trust me. its true. and its exactly how i said. its fact. if we went back in time to yesterday without us having the knowledge of how this all unfolded...we would do the exact same things...if you dont want to accept this, dont. You are who you are, i am who i am. and im dont talking about it.

NathanielWingatePeaslee

Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Staff member
trust me. its true. and its exactly how i said. its fact. if we went back in time to yesterday without us having the knowledge of how this all unfolded...we would do the exact same things...if you dont want to accept this, dont. You are who you are, i am who i am. and im dont talking about it.
I'm not in the habit of accepting things people tell me as absolute truth without any backing whatsoever. Especially when the claims cover the entire universe.

coyote

Well, I'm here to say that I did go back in time. Last time I had waffles for breakfast, but this time I had french toast. So we don't always make the same choices.

There's your proof.

Trust me.

Dionysus

There is no god. period. Search for transcendence only in the now. It's an insult to this life to say that the next one will be better, or that there is a next one. It takes the focus off of whats most important - the now. You are alive because you breathe, you take in sustenance, your biology keeps you kicking, until it doesn't, then you die. Have absolutely no regrets. Letting go of any form of theism or deism was really a huge paradigm shift in my thought process, after the burden of religion is wiped clean, then the burden of individuality and responsibility takes its place. Live your life. Love your life. And take responsibility for what you do. Choices and the impacts they make are all you have left in the end.

(BTW - I notice a lot of you are practicing a form of epistemological hedonism. Don't think that because you think it and it feels good that its correct. If you feel good from praying thats because its creating a placebo effect. God is just an empty dummy pill that billions of people swallow, or are forced early on into swallowing wholeheartedly - which is a serious problem.)

Last edited:

drumev

(BTW - I notice a lot of you are practicing a form of epistemological hedonism. Don't think that because you think it and it feels good that its correct. If you feel good from praying thats because its creating a placebo effect. God is just an empty dummy pill that billions of people swallow, or are forced early on into swallowing wholeheartedly - which is a serious problem.)

What's wrong with the placebo effect? Ever heard that simply believing in things makes them exist? To be in a healthy mental state is simply a matter of having a healthy perspective on life and yourself. I'm not telling you to delude yourself into believing something for the sole motive that it would make you feel better. The thing is, you can create a constructive response to any unexplainable or demoralizing event in your life.