How are you feeling?

jaim38

I don't know if I'm reading/understanding a volunteer correctly. I was telling someone that she's a bit hesitant/cautious about something. I'm also not sure if I'm bordering on gossip behavior? Maybe I'm just thinking too much!

MikeyC

Anxiety is uncomfortable, but it'll pass once you start your classes. Maybe try to distract yourself somehow?
There's actually fun events happening at the uni, so I'm going to those. That's been good so far.

Feeling very weighed down by what's happening in life at the moment, and not feeling strong enough to deal with it. Wishing I could get away for a while to recoup
What's happening?

When do you start MikeyC.
Study begins on Monday. Only five days left to get all the stress and worry out of my system.

I had three weeks off work last spring. I managed to get outside my head sometimes walking around in the bush.
That sounds awesome. :) I still want to go to Warrumbungle National Park.

PerseverareJasmine

I'm feeling alright today. I'm just wishing it would warm up a little outside, its been too cold for me today. I have to work more on an essay I have that's due soon :thumbdown:, but I'm relaxing for a while right now because I just finished taking a pretty long exam.

Srijita52

Okay so I know perhaps I'm overthinking but I'm feeling like no one cares if I'm there, like if I even say something relevent it doesn't matter to anyone. If I do something positive its always ignored. Since forever, if I ever expressed my goals I was told I'm too weak to get them, I was told there was something wrong with me for not expressing enough. I don't know, are these things true or its just the insecurity talking? Maybe I'm focusing on the negetive things too much because I'm in a bad mood. Maybe...

MikeyC

I'll be working soon, and in a job with virtually ZERO interaction with strangers. It'll be doing something I like, as well. :D
Awesome, mate. :)

Okay so I know perhaps I'm overthinking but I'm feeling like no one cares if I'm there, like if I even say something relevent it doesn't matter to anyone. If I do something positive its always ignored. Since forever, if I ever expressed my goals I was told I'm too weak to get them, I was told there was something wrong with me for not expressing enough. I don't know, are these things true or its just the insecurity talking? Maybe I'm focusing on the negetive things too much because I'm in a bad mood. Maybe...
Maybe you're telling the wrong people. You've mentioned your friends are not great so that could be why.

MikeyC

So tonight was the final night of orientation week at the university and it's ended on a sour note.

I did chat to a person I met and we've now exchanged numbers. She's nice enough but she's had way more world experience than me and she's six years younger. I ponder as to why she's talking to me because I'm boring.

And that's the crux of my problem. Tonight was a live band thing where everyone could dance and drink. Groups have already been established now and yet there I was, aimlessly walking around, hoping for someone, anyone, to talk to me. I could then feel the usual loneliness symptoms of a heavy chest and a dropping mood, and knew there was no going back. I know study hasn't started but I just feel like I'm going to be alone, as usual. I hope someone in my class wants to talk to me because I'm sick of being alone. Socia.lising is very important to me, even if I do get anxious a little bit, and tonight highlighted that problem.

Sometimes I feel I deserve not to talk to anyone. I feel repulsive. It has even happened in the chatbox here, which is why I'll seldom go there. I wish I didn't have these extreme feelings. All I want is to make a few friends. I hope it's not going to be that difficult.

Silatuyok

So tonight was the final night of orientation week at the university and it's ended on a sour note.

I did chat to a person I met and we've now exchanged numbers. She's nice enough but she's had way more world experience than me and she's six years younger. I ponder as to why she's talking to me because I'm boring.

And that's the crux of my problem. Tonight was a live band thing where everyone could dance and drink. Groups have already been established now and yet there I was, aimlessly walking around, hoping for someone, anyone, to talk to me. I could then feel the usual loneliness symptoms of a heavy chest and a dropping mood, and knew there was no going back. I know study hasn't started but I just feel like I'm going to be alone, as usual. I hope someone in my class wants to talk to me because I'm sick of being alone. Socia.lising is very important to me, even if I do get anxious a little bit, and tonight highlighted that problem.

Sometimes I feel I deserve not to talk to anyone. I feel repulsive. It has even happened in the chatbox here, which is why I'll seldom go there. I wish I didn't have these extreme feelings. All I want is to make a few friends. I hope it's not going to be that difficult.

*hugs* Mikey.
I worry that you are defeating yourself before you even get started. Of course you will meet new people and they will be interested in talking to you, and you are not boring. If you keep letting yourself think about yourself this way, you will never feel any better.
In the chatbox, as in real life, it's not enough just to show up and watch other people have fun. You have to jump in there and engage. Bring up topics, start a debate, or just say something random and see where it takes the conversation. If it doesn't work the first time, you have to try again and again.
Don't discount all the victories you have made. You showed up to the events in the first place, which is more than I ever would have done. You said you chatted with someone and got her number. That's amazing! During my first year at college I didn't even talk to my own roommate. Ever. You are open to the likelihood of meeting new people and that is great. But you can't sit back and wait for them to come to you.
Best of luck, and chin up. I'm 100% certain that things will get better for you as the year goes along. :)

Srijita52

*hugs* Mikey.
I worry that you are defeating yourself before you even get started. Of course you will meet new people and they will be interested in talking to you, and you are not boring. If you keep letting yourself think about yourself this way, you will never feel any better.
In the chatbox, as in real life, it's not enough just to show up and watch other people have fun. You have to jump in there and engage. Bring up topics, start a debate, or just say something random and see where it takes the conversation. If it doesn't work the first time, you have to try again and again.
Don't discount all the victories you have made. You showed up to the events in the first place, which is more than I ever would have done. You said you chatted with someone and got her number. That's amazing! During my first year at college I didn't even talk to my own roommate. Ever. You are open to the likelihood of meeting new people and that is great. But you can't sit back and wait for them to come to you.
Best of luck, and chin up. I'm 100% certain that things will get better for you as the year goes along. :)

I agree with this 200%. I know its hard and I know how you feel because that's how I feel. But Marie pretty much nailed it. Taking initiative is important, and I know you can do it, just don't beat yourself up too much, it does nothing except for making you more discouraged. Its going to get better, hang in there. :)